The strip between the headlight and the bumper??

Red
Club4AG Expert

The strip between the headlight and the bumper??

Postby Red » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:31 pm

OK, what do you call the black strip that is between the headlight and the bumper, right under the "eyelid" trim on the headlight assembly?

And, does anyone have an extra set, left + right, for sale?
-- Original owner, 1985 GT-S

LongGrain

Re: The strip between the headlight and the bumper??

Postby LongGrain » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:15 pm

they are part of the front bumper, which consists of like 12 peices. and the part in the center is obviously the grill.

Normally people call them "bumper side pieces"

Red
Club4AG Expert

Postby Red » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:26 am

Unless my memory is failing, the strips under the headlight assemblies actually are separate from the bumper cover, which is often mistakenly called the bumper, and they are seaparate from the side panels. Last time I took a fast look while the headlight was out, they looked easily removeable.

Don't care about the grill, it is not in the location I asked about: Between the headlight aseembly and the bumper. Only.

goofesgts
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby goofesgts » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:53 am

is its a 86-87 front grill ? kouki usdm grills extend to below the eyelid ....
how can i go to heaven? accepting jesus christ as youre savior!! thats youre ticket to heaven!

rumsawatti
Club4AG Expert

Postby rumsawatti » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:01 am

Im not really sure what you mean, however if it is what i circled in this picture than that is not a piece by itself, that is part of the whole side valance circled below it. However this is a zenki bumper. Pistured next to it is the USDM bumper, the lower grill runs straight across and those pieces are cut short on the side valance.

Red
Club4AG Expert

Postby Red » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:05 am

The red bumper is a US 1985 bumper. I don't know what the gray bumper is. The parts you circled on the red car are the parts I'm talking about, the only parts that are in between the headlight and the bumper.

I'm confused by what you posted, which appears to say the opposite. That gray bumper is definitely NOT a US-1985-GT-S bumper.

So on the red car, you think--or know for certain?--those strips are or aren't part of the side trim?

Red
Club4AG Expert

Postby Red » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:59 am

OK, so (damn) it has to be part of the larger trim. What do we call that, a front bumper side trim panel? Front bumper side valance?

If I knew what to call it, it might be easier trying to get a set of them.

I'm trying to integrate LED daylight running lamps into that strip between the headlight and bumper, and want to experiment on a spare set before I go tearing into my own.

Almost afraid to ask, just how much the car has to come apart to REMOVE those panels?

rumsawatti
Club4AG Expert

Postby rumsawatti » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:03 pm

Sorry if my post was confusing, basically it is what TORPARTS said,

I dont think anyone really knows what its called, it has many names, some call it a side valance, side panel, lip valance, some even call it the bumper side panels. I think thats the best thing to call it, im sure everyone understands what the "front bumper side panel" is...That gray bumper is a 1985 US bumper, however it has a cressida lip.

Its not difficult, just time consuming and you might break a few bolts lol, take a look under, and find all the bolts and soak them in wd40 first lol there is one where the valance meets the fender, one all the way at the bottom of the valance, two that bolt it to the middle valance, im not sure about the zenki, but the kouki doesnt have anything bolted or screwed to the grill. There may be one or two more, i dont remember exactly where all of them are but thats most of the main ones...I dont think you have to take the bumper itself off to remove them.

Red
Club4AG Expert

Postby Red » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:08 pm

"find all the bolts and soak them in wd40 first "
Oh you kids.<G> WD-40 is good for displacng moisture from spark plug wires, making hinges quieter, cleaning and lubing a bit but basically it is kerosene in a can. Now, if you want to loosen old bolts, buy a can of PBlaster. Pblaster and Kroil (which is only sold direct form the maker) both tend to start religions. You give a 30-year-old rusty bolt one shot, it spins off like new metal. Try it once, and you'll never waste your time with WD40 on stuck parts again. (Saffron robes & book of chants optional and extra.)

No, there's nothing bolted onto the grill on an 85, except that annoying plastic TOYOTA badge. Mine's on a shelf, that's how you make a fire engine red car into a stealth model.<G>

I'll have to find the parts fiche--I have a set--and squint around to find out the proper name of it. Everything is in there, SOMEwhere. If I could figure out how to view the electronic catalogue, that would make life too easy.<G>

ga_goosh
Club4AG Pro

Postby ga_goosh » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:19 pm

Red wrote:I'll have to find the parts fiche--I have a set--and squint around to find out the proper name of it. Everything is in there, SOMEwhere. If I could figure out how to view the electronic catalogue, that would make life too easy.<G>

toyodiy list this part as front bumper extensions LH and RH
part numbers are: RH = 52113-12160 LH = 52112-12160
http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_U_1985_TOYOTA_COROLLA_AE86L-ECMQFA_5201.html

also if you cant see the diagrams on toyodiy then you may have to register an account with them to see them.
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM

Red
Club4AG Expert

Postby Red » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:26 pm

Thanks, gagoosh. I don't see any picture, just the parts listing. I'll blame that on JavaScript being disabled here. Pricey little things, although I'd be surprised if they were still available at all from the dealers.

Bumper extensions...Sounds like something they'd sell in Texas, add-on cattle horn kit, doesn't it?

ga_goosh
Club4AG Pro

Postby ga_goosh » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:27 am

Red wrote:Thanks, gagoosh. I don't see any picture, just the parts listing. I'll blame that on JavaScript being disabled here. Pricey little things, although I'd be surprised if they were still available at all from the dealers.

Bumper extensions...Sounds like something they'd sell in Texas, add-on cattle horn kit, doesn't it?

lol yea it kind of does sound like some sort of add-on peice. lol those are pretty common in Texas. They match the pipe bumpers well haha there is a lot of them aroud here ;)
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM