funky bulbs that have lots of glare and blind oncoming drvrs

truerolla
Club4AG Regular

funky bulbs that have lots of glare and blind oncoming drvrs

Postby truerolla » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:08 pm

Up for sale a set of hid head lights used 25 bucks for both came off my ae86 (310)256.8317 local pick up only lawndale ca 90260
Text for pictures. I can't seem to find how to upload photos on my phone.
Last edited by truerolla on Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sprinterr86
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: hid head lights

Postby sprinterr86 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:52 am

is it plug n play?

truerolla
Club4AG Regular

Postby truerolla » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:26 am

Yes take your old ones off and drive

Red
Club4AG Expert

Postby Red » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:30 am

True (and legal) HID headlights are rare for these cars and use an external ballast so you can't just swap out lamps to plug-n-play.

Some pictures and a brand name might help, because there's a lot of "HID-ish" lamps out there but very few true HID lamps.
-- Original owner, 1985 GT-S

350nizmo
Club4AG Expert

Postby 350nizmo » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:59 am

Red wrote:True (and legal) HID headlights are rare for these cars and use an external ballast so you can't just swap out lamps to plug-n-play.

Some pictures and a brand name might help, because there's a lot of "HID-ish" lamps out there but very few true HID lamps.

/\ Agreed :mrgreen:

pictures and manufacturer info will help out alot.
1986 Toyota Corolla AE86 Apex GT RHD (Garage Queen)
2007 Honda Fit Sport (Daily)

truerolla
Club4AG Regular

Postby truerolla » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:36 pm

I don't know how to put up pictures...plus they're 25 Bux what do you expect kick as name brand? Ok 20 bux the bulbs should still work its been a while since I installed them.
Last edited by truerolla on Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Red
Club4AG Expert

Postby Red » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:50 pm

"they're 25 Bux what do you expect"
Frankly? That you're mistaken and they are not HID headlights. Lots of folks are confused over what HID is and isn't. If they are HIDs at $25 they're a steal. At $250 they'd still be a steal.
Or they might just be funky bulbs that have lots of glare and blind oncoming drivers. After all, why would you have pulled HIDs out of your car, since there's nothing better than real HIDs for headlights?

truerolla
Club4AG Regular

Postby truerolla » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:59 pm

Calm down man you either want em o not thanks for the bump let's keep this going its fun

Red
Club4AG Expert

Re: funky bulbs that have lots of glare and blind oncoming d

Postby Red » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:42 pm

Calm? Who's not calm?

I certainly don't want them, I've got a pair of the rare real things, with DOT certification. And ballasts, and relays, and all that's involved, which is more than just "bulbs". "Bulbs" is the tip-off they can't be real HIDs.

truerolla
Club4AG Regular

Postby truerolla » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:06 pm

Well kind sir thank you for your input much appreciated. I'm glad you have the real deals with dot certification and whatnot you must be real fun at parties.

Red
Club4AG Expert

Postby Red » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:24 pm

Hey, you're the guy selling a pig on a poke. No picture, no brand name, a price too good to be true...unless they were stolen goods, ripped out with the ballast and stuff perhaps? So I'll say it outright, you don't sound legit. You get way too defensive and can't find any way to answer real simple questions, like what the brand is.

If you honestly want to sell something, answering about what it is shouldn't be too hard for you. Unless you're running a scam.

truerolla
Club4AG Regular

Postby truerolla » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:39 pm

Help me put pictures man im asking. But like I said you don't want them then ease up I have my cell on here what kind of scam could I be putting? Its the housing with the bulbs I guess they're the cheappo blind drivers one like you said. Again th as nks for your input you are a true gentleman o woman either or. Prob some older fellow with nothing better to do than try to make ppl the bad guy because your life is crap. Thank you agan red. Tell me how to put a pic on this o shut the hell up n get back to your original true legit owner corolla with all certification dot whatever it is you have. Thanks again.

LongGrain

Postby LongGrain » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:48 pm

Red wrote:"they're 25 Bux what do you expect"
Frankly? That you're mistaken and they are not HID headlights. Lots of folks are confused over what HID is and isn't. If they are HIDs at $25 they're a steal. At $250 they'd still be a steal.
Or they might just be funky bulbs that have lots of glare and blind oncoming drivers. After all, why would you have pulled HIDs out of your car, since there's nothing better than real HIDs for headlights?

I think you are confused as to what HID lights are. Or maybe you are confusing HID and Projectors

cheap shitty HIDs are still HID's, HID (high intensity discharge) lamps are ones that use an arc between two electrodes to ignite xenon gas inside of a sealed bulb, while halogen bulbs use a filament.

There are TONS of $25 HID's for automotive applications all over ebay. You can get lifetime warranty HID's for almost any car from DDM tuning for $60 give or take. And they are certainly the "real deal" meaning they are HID lights.

Where the issues with being DOT legal arise is in the type of housing that you choose to place the bulbs in. HID lights have a much different light output pattern than halogen bulbs, and require a projector housing, whereas halogen bulbs use a reflector housing. If you put HID lights in a reflector housing meant for halogen bulbs, you get glare and scatter.

just because you may have paid hundreds for your hid's (probably from an oem application) doesnt mean yours are any more "real" hid's than his. and the housings you put them in dont matter in the argument because he's not selling housings...

That's like saying that somebody's ebay strut bar isnt a strut bar because it isnt made by Cusco, you're just being a dickhead.

Red
Club4AG Expert

Postby Red » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:20 pm

I see there are some cheap "conversion kits" being sold but that still leaves two issues. They still use external ballasts, they are not just replacement headlights. And then there's the question of whether the HID "capsule" can properly be focused by a conventional headlamp. A filament and an arc discharge normally need to be placed differently in order to be reflected out onto the road properly. Simply popping a conversion kit into a reflector usually won't focus it properly.

I'm overjoyed to see cheap HIDs on the market, but even assuming he's got HIDs (somehow without ballasts? really?) I've seen the way cheap "lights" work in the past. My first pair of road lights were some no-name brand. My second were Marchalls, and I can tell you, they showed what kind of joke the first ones were.

Price doesn't always mean quality, but "too good to be true" is still usually right.

NIXmx
Club4AG Regular

Postby NIXmx » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:55 am

I would respect and retain what input Red has to offer.
This user's signature was removed due to obscenity.
https://www.facebook.com/Toyonerds