What happened here

Anything about cars, as long as it's clean...
No offensive language, no profanity, no nudity, nothing that your mom will slap you for...
Be nice to others.
User avatar
jondee86
Moderator
Posts: 2698
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:21 pm
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Re: What happened here

Postby jondee86 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:02 pm

Image

Image

Same year as my BM but four times the price :( Hard to justify.... for the moment :D

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.


Nick94tt
Club4AG Expert
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:43 am

Re: What happened here

Postby Nick94tt » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:37 am

Never mind the bill if you have to take it in for service. Definitely one where I'd suggest bringing your preferred personal lubricant with you to the dealership. :lol:

"So should I just bend over the counter?"

Body shop is trying to track down things like factory speakers for the supra... Utterly comical. Have a meeting set up with the manager once they get the parts together to go over the paint scheme and the rest of the process. Make sure everyone's on the same page.

User avatar
jondee86
Moderator
Posts: 2698
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:21 pm
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Re: What happened here

Postby jondee86 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:41 pm

Starting to sound a bit like that six million dollar man :) You are going to have to find
a new parking spot when you finally get it back from the shop.

Yeah, I like the Audi because on the outside it is a typical family hauler but under the
skin it is a badass rocket ship. Down here a couple of those V10 engines have gone into
racing jetboats, but I would rather have what this guy has...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmGDbrMLmzE

That engine was once the mainstay of midget cars and if you ever heard one on the track
that engine made the most beautiful music !!! Probably only made 150hp but put one in
a Miata and I would drive it all day and be happy :D Big hp is fun but where can you use
500hp in a road car without getting into trouble ? If you can put 150hp to the ground in a
light car you can have fun anywhere without putting your life and licence at risk.

The first car I ever bought had a flathead V8 and twin pipes... I've been in love with
them ever since :)

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

Nick94tt
Club4AG Expert
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:43 am

Re: What happened here

Postby Nick94tt » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:14 pm

"Drawback" on the supra. Bit serious.

Been seeing more all motor k series builds in 86s lately. Look like a ton of fun.

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.


User avatar
jondee86
Moderator
Posts: 2698
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:21 pm
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Re: What happened here

Postby jondee86 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:22 am

Don't tell me they can't find factory speakers ?

Now that AE** cars have become way over-priced, KE**models are back in demand.
They were always popular here but due to limited availability they are also stupid
money for clean examples. Now any kind of old RWD Toyota gets snapped up pretty
quick, more recent models like the Lexus/Altezza IS200 are also becoming popular.
Here is a nice 2JZ swapped Altezza...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeXmfDFsidQ

What about a Toyota Century engine into a Corona ?
Image
https://engineswapdepot.com/?p=9763

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

Nick94tt
Club4AG Expert
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:43 am

Re: What happened here

Postby Nick94tt » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:26 pm

jondee86 wrote:Don't tell me they can't find factory speakers ?

All discontinued. :lol:

jondee86 wrote:Now that AE** cars have become way over-priced, KE**models are back in demand.
They were always popular here but due to limited availability they are also stupid
money for clean examples. Now any kind of old RWD Toyota gets snapped up pretty
quick, more recent models like the Lexus/Altezza IS200 are also becoming popular.
Here is a nice 2JZ swapped Altezza...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeXmfDFsidQ

What about a Toyota Century engine into a Corona ?
Image
https://engineswapdepot.com/?p=9763

Cheers... jondee86


I've seen the century swap. ^_^

The KE's are surging here a bit as well. I think the advent of decent affordable engine management combined with all the media outlets letting folks share their swaps. Fun times. ^_^

There's a 1uz itb hilux out your way that makes some incredible noises. Not nearly as common a motor to see used over here.

User avatar
jondee86
Moderator
Posts: 2698
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:21 pm
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Re: What happened here

Postby jondee86 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:51 pm

All motor six rotor RX3 :) Built here in NZ... I think it was the first one ever !!

Image
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKebHtJ_DzA

Some things don't have to make sense... just do it because you can :lol:

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

Nick94tt
Club4AG Expert
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:43 am

Re: What happened here

Postby Nick94tt » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:23 pm

Huge fan of that car.

"Why?" "Why not?"

His 100k to drop on machined parts, his business.

(Though I think the main and glance shafts cost substantially less than that. Comes down to who you know and the price of a meter long chromoly billet big enough to machine down. :lol:

I'm game to try a rotary at some point, just not yet. :lol:

User avatar
jondee86
Moderator
Posts: 2698
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:21 pm
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Re: What happened here

Postby jondee86 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:44 pm

Well, 6 rotors is not enough for some folk, so how about 12 rotors ?

Image
https://youtu.be/Q2IFWveYBRs

That's always bound to happen sooner or later when you give an engineer CNC skills :)
Like the guy here who was building his own full billet 4AGE engines for his speedway
car because he was breaking too many factory 4AGZE's. Engine was a real work of art
but the pics seem to have disappeared off the net.

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

User avatar
jondee86
Moderator
Posts: 2698
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:21 pm
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Re: What happened here

Postby jondee86 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:17 pm

Found some pics of the speedway engine here...
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... tn__=-UC-R

Image

And the race car doing its thing :)

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

Nick94tt
Club4AG Expert
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:43 am

Re: What happened here

Postby Nick94tt » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:27 am

Yea. The advent of all the 3d scan tools and the inevitable dissemination of the tech really opens things up for one off oddball projects for folks with after hours access. Awesome stuff.

The lsx based monsters coming out look like a ton of fun. V16 for marine applications. Ton of cash, but still epic.

Image

User avatar
jondee86
Moderator
Posts: 2698
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:21 pm
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Re: What happened here

Postby jondee86 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:30 pm

For sure there are a lot of interesting engines being made that are based around
production engines or copies of production engines. Some clever people have working
examples of revolutionary original designs that they claim will be game changers for
the motor industry.... such as this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c19kn3drdFU

But then I think of this engine that was designed and built before CNC was dreamed
of, and how it went on to be arguably the best racing engine ever built.

Image

Cylinder head cast integral with the block and split crankcase; logical engineering
solutions to keeping a high specific power output engine together under the stresses
of racing. No CNC, no FEM, just solid engineering knowledge and a ton of experience.

Real racing engines are built from the ground up to do a job, the same as engines for
ships, trains, trucks and aircraft. They have targets to achieve such as maximum
continuous power, service time before overhaul, fuel consumption, emissions etc.
Modifying a standard production car engine will always result in compromising some
of the goals set by the engine manufacturer.

How successful the modified engine will be depends on solid engineering knowledge
and a ton of experience just like the old days, plus a bunch of money and some luck :)

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

Nick94tt
Club4AG Expert
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:43 am

Re: What happened here

Postby Nick94tt » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:11 pm

The offys were exceptional.

That was back when they had true artists in the casting department. The things they could (and still can, given the budget) with green sand , planning, and the right alloy were impressive.

Especially with the giant old high precision milling equipment we used to manufacture.

Got the truck sorted. Now my buddy's jeep blew out a caliper. :lol: In my defense, I already made fun of him for buying a Chrysler.

User avatar
jondee86
Moderator
Posts: 2698
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:21 pm
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Re: What happened here

Postby jondee86 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:56 pm

One of the great things about old machinery is that machines often followed nature
in their design. Material was expensive and labor was cheap, so there were a lot more
curves and pleasant shapes... not all straight lines. I once went on a short cruise on
this old steamer...

Image

From the passenger deck you could look down into the boiler room and see this guy
shoveling coal :) The cylinders were bigger than 55 gallon drums and it ticked over
at maybe 150-200rpm so you could see all the parts working. Big shiny steel rods with
sliders, crossheads... it was all out where you could see it doing its job. Didn't turn
fast enough to need oil bath lubrication so just manual oiling and oil cups.

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

User avatar
jondee86
Moderator
Posts: 2698
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:21 pm
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Re: What happened here

Postby jondee86 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:17 pm

Take a moment to relax and enjoy one of the most "British" videos you will ever
see. From old men playing with model boats to the perfect blend of engineering
and art... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zlp1aG1VJRI

Should never have stopped developing these...

Image

World went to hell once those fandangled gasoline powered cars took over :(

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

Nick94tt
Club4AG Expert
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:43 am

Re: What happened here

Postby Nick94tt » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:21 am

I just miss the old front crank started models.

"Broke your arm because you weren't paying attention and held on too long?"

Lol. Too bad.

Finally got things settled on the Corolla I think. Going to be able to start cleaning it up and get ready to list it / start putting the motor back together.

User avatar
jondee86
Moderator
Posts: 2698
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:21 pm
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Re: What happened here

Postby jondee86 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:27 pm

Started watching this and couldn't put it down...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuWjiIb6FZk

This dude is REAL and such a refreshing change from all those designer haircut guys telling
you what is wrong with their Lamborghini or how much hp they make in their highly modified
engine swapped AWD wundercars.

I don't see any of them under a car getting dusted with desiccated mouse **** and cranking
on a cargo strap to try and un-sieze a rusted up engine. Nothing seems to faze this guy. He's
not related to you by any chance :)

Good news if you can can start going somewhere with the Corolla even if it's not the result
you wanted. Nothing worse than a project car that just sits around making you feel bad.

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

Nick94tt
Club4AG Expert
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:43 am

Re: What happened here

Postby Nick94tt » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:35 pm

jondee86 wrote:He's
not related to you by any chance :)

Good news if you can can start going somewhere with the Corolla even if it's not the result
you wanted. Nothing worse than a project car that just sits around making you feel bad.

Cheers... jondee86


:lol: I am adopted....

Sadly, my parents were quasi perceived neat freaks crossed with paralysing fear of liability and mechanical illiteracy. :mrgreen:

All my "dessicated rodent feces" adventures were of my own unfortunate making. :lol: Usually while ripping the back seat cushion out of a 70's Chevy or Olds and desperately trying to avoid the freshly vaporized 'poo mist'...

Will definitely go through the whole thing, seems familiar.

I've definitely used wratchet straps and comealongs to fix worse than seized motors though. I approve. :lol:

We lost the compressor while cutting a truck bed at one point so I rigged a pulley to a sharpened crowbar V. Sliced right through. Hammered the solid metal back in when done. :mrgreen:

Knew a guy that got failed for his emissions test for having a "rusted hole" in his truck body. He left, went to Walmart, bought bondo and fiberglass mat. Pulled a mirror off a car in the parking lot and shoved it into the hole. Slathered on the fiberglass and filler. Spray painted it black and went back. They had to pass him, despite there being unpainted mirror sticking out the side of his truck. :shock: Our inspections aren't exactly up to world standards. :lol: :lol: :lol:

No lie, been seeing a few 3 series (and E36 5 series) popping up locally. Tempting, especially the free 5 series w/ lsd and 6spd. Just didnt have room for the car. Worst case I could part it out.

Figure I'd find something to do for the 16+ weeks they have to wait for supra parts. :lol:

User avatar
jondee86
Moderator
Posts: 2698
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:21 pm
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Re: What happened here

Postby jondee86 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:29 am

The more I learn about modern cars the more I believe that what I reely... reely want
is a small old school iron block V8 with compression, cam and a 4-barrel carb. Bolt that
to a manualized 3-speed plus o/drive auto and install the lot in a medium size coupe.
Bin all the fancy electronics... manual everything but modern double A-arm suspension
independent all round with decent disc brakes. Is that too much to ask ??

Just going to have to wait until someone builds it and then has to sell cheap :) In the
meantime I'll have to put up with all the fancy electronics... c'est la vie :)

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

Nick94tt
Club4AG Expert
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:43 am

Re: What happened here

Postby Nick94tt » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:27 pm

Jensen interceptor, I think.

Should be pretty close to what you want. ^_^

Built TH400 would tolerate any sane sub 4 digit power output and love a manual valve body. They came with Chrysler V8's, so you could easily do a chevy 350sb, lsx, or Barra.

English car, so just plan on a new harness. ^_^

"Modernized" solid rear, not sure on the front. Should be capable - most European sports cars and coupes were at the time.

Worst case a shortened Ford 8.8 IRS can be fit into just about anything.

Nick94tt
Club4AG Expert
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:43 am

Re: What happened here

Postby Nick94tt » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:18 pm

Otherwise, Factory Five Racing has a '33 ford that does a '15+ Mustang irs with 4 wheel discs.

You even get to play with loose motors, transmissions, and rivet a ton of things together. Lol

(I'm a huge fan of their '33 truck)

User avatar
jondee86
Moderator
Posts: 2698
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:21 pm
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Re: What happened here

Postby jondee86 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:50 pm

Quite like this for something different...
https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/spec ... f=IazULIag

Lot of $$$ for a "fine Sundays only" car :)

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

Nick94tt
Club4AG Expert
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:43 am

Re: What happened here

Postby Nick94tt » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:45 pm

Sexy....

So many f*cking hours with a wood paddle, torch, and lead to get those lines perfect. (I'm just assuming it's leaded because you know, old school build - plus it costs more and folks paying for high end builds love to measure.)

My neighbor has a... 40's Ford or Chevy sitting in his yard. I could see about sending its rusty carcass your way. :lol:

Factory 5 '35 truck kit. :D
Image

User avatar
jondee86
Moderator
Posts: 2698
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:21 pm
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Re: What happened here

Postby jondee86 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:12 am

Nice truck. Not really into the big wheels and "rubber band" tires myself... I'd sooner
have something a little more old school but otherwise I'd have one :)

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

Nick94tt
Club4AG Expert
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:43 am

Re: What happened here

Postby Nick94tt » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:48 pm

A hurdle easily overcome. (The interior on this one is pretty epic. ^_^)


Image

Positives and negatives on everything, but I dig the space frame chassis and glass. Steel is awesome, just not as attainable anymore. Plus, instant road course/autocross car. Lol.

User avatar
jondee86
Moderator
Posts: 2698
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:21 pm
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Re: What happened here

Postby jondee86 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:38 am

This one has a good wheel/tire combo and a 32 grille...

Image

Problem is that you need fenders to get it road registered here, so my vote would
go to the blue full-fendered truck with the 34 grille. Reminds me of the first car I ever
bought, a 34 5-window coupe. Only thing missing are the suicide doors and the louvres
in the sides of the hood.

Glass body would keep the weight down so as you say, some decent potential there for
events that don't care if you vehicle has the aerodynamics of a brick outhouse :P

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

User avatar
jondee86
Moderator
Posts: 2698
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:21 pm
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Re: What happened here

Postby jondee86 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:54 pm

Faster than you can say... WUT !!!!! This engine revs to 12,100rpm and gets there
in 3/10th's of a second !!! The rpm rise rate is 28,000 revs/sec which is about what
you might expect if the flywheel parts company with the crank while your average
high performance engine is at WOT. By comparison, when the 16V 4AGE was first
introduced the claim was that it could get from idle to 8,000rpm in one second.

Image

https://www.enginetechnologyinternation ... eased.html

Naturally aspirated 3.9litre V12 making 650hp with more technincal tricks that you
can poke a stick at... this truly is cutting edge stuff.

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

Nick94tt
Club4AG Expert
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:43 am

Re: What happened here

Postby Nick94tt » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:45 pm

jondee86 wrote:Glass body would keep the weight down so as you say, some decent potential there for
events that don't care if you vehicle has the aerodynamics of a brick outhouse :P

Cheers... jondee86


Viper owners put up with it. :lol:

500+who in a 2300lb car with IRS and drag wont be a problem below 100-120mph. Plenty of room for autocross and hillclimbs. :mrgreen:

My vote goes for Catherham 7 (Lotus 7) front fenders. Rears are a no brainer with the step side style bed.

Do the aero work, under tray, and wings and you've got a monster. (Which if I remember right requires a bit of a rework on a suspension arm component unless they've already addressed it. Had some issues years back with folks running slicks)

Long since been sold on the idea of starting with an entirely new tube chassis and freshly painted/powder coated everything. With access to spare. Really enticing vs contorting yourself through a suspension crossmember around a motor mount just to get to the oil filter on the supra. :lol:

User avatar
jondee86
Moderator
Posts: 2698
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:21 pm
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Re: What happened here

Postby jondee86 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:33 pm

AutoX in the UK... https://youtu.be/3Rhz19ZrpZg

I know it's fashionable in some circles to say... phhhttt... anyone can do do donuts round a cone...
but that level of car control is more than just doing donuts and making a cloud of smoke :)

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

Nick94tt
Club4AG Expert
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:43 am

Re: What happened here

Postby Nick94tt » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:27 pm

jondee86 wrote:AutoX in the UK... https://youtu.be/3Rhz19ZrpZg

I know it's fashionable in some circles to say... phhhttt... anyone can do do donuts round a cone...
but that level of car control is more than just doing donuts and making a cloud of smoke :)

Cheers... jondee86


I've seen that. Believe it's a 20v. Fantastic throttle modulation and steering control.

(Also why I want to build one)

Feels like the usual argument of "drifting is just going slower around the track" when verbatim from Keiichi Tsuchiya - he started doing it because he was bored while being fastest around the track.

I've found circle track (dirt) racers here in the US are pretty open to drifting - just remember they're still a generation into traditional "Fastest is 1st".

Know a few who finally bonded with their kids when they realized a race car is a race car, and nothing is as sweet as a family team winning an event.

"Wait, I can build all of that sh*t!... Junior, go get the s10 and my beers."

It all carries over. Just have to wait for a moment of clarity to let the light in.

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.



Return to “Fun Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests