Distributor Leak

Anything about cars, as long as it's clean...
No offensive language, no profanity, no nudity, nothing that your mom will slap you for...
Be nice to others.
RLZ
Club4AG Pro

Distributor Leak

Postby RLZ » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:56 pm

Hi guys, the distributor has been rebuilt a year ago on my car, i found it leaking oil today, does it need another rebuild again? is possible the cover seal got burn from the header? I have a heat boot on the dizz also the header has the heat shield too. I really dont know why it leaks again, also i grabbed a ae92 dizz heat shield does it fit ae86s? Thanks!

TORPARTS
Club4AG Expert

Re: Distributor Leak

Postby TORPARTS » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:40 pm

Oring needs replaced playboy
http://www.torparts.com
WORLD LEADER IN REPRODUCTION, OEM AND JDM PARTS.
US Veteran owned.....and medical recipient and food stamps...I love Obama!

RLZ
Club4AG Pro

Postby RLZ » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:18 pm

TORPARTS wrote:Oring needs replaced playboy

really those rebuild kits only last for a year? i bought that from here http://www.kbox.ca/catalog/product_info ... ucts_id=34

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:13 am

Can you tell where it's leaking from?
The seal kit should fix it for another decade or two but there is always the chance that you nicked the seal or oring on installation or got some debris in there or something that weakened the seal.
It's also possible for the cam seals leak and work it's way over far enough for you to think it's the dizzy.
I just ordered a batch of o-rings for the dizzy. They should be in early next week. I hope to have bearings and seals real soon to offer a full rebuild kit of my own.

RLZ
Club4AG Pro

Postby RLZ » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:56 am

yoshimitsuspeed wrote:Can you tell where it's leaking from?
The seal kit should fix it for another decade or two but there is always the chance that you nicked the seal or oring on installation or got some debris in there or something that weakened the seal.
It's also possible for the cam seals leak and work it's way over far enough for you to think it's the dizzy.
I just ordered a batch of o-rings for the dizzy. They should be in early next week. I hope to have bearings and seals real soon to offer a full rebuild kit of my own.

I saw there is some oil around the screw of dizzy cover, I put my finger underneath the dizzy it's sticky and oil all over my finger, the engine been rebuilt a year ago also and I always check the valve cover and tighten it. so I believe the leaks is from the dizzy..where do you buy the Orings? I think there are 2 rubber Orings in there right?

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:34 am

I will have them available next week. I just need to wait for my order to come in so I can confirm size and figment.

There is one o-ring that seals the dizzy housing to the head and one o-ring on top that seals the cap and the housing.
I would suggest pulling the cap off and looking inside to make sure it's not leaking from the shaft seal. If that is dry then a new o-ring should fix you up.

RLZ
Club4AG Pro

Postby RLZ » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:55 pm

yoshimitsuspeed wrote:I will have them available next week. I just need to wait for my order to come in so I can confirm size and figment.

There is one o-ring that seals the dizzy housing to the head and one o-ring on top that seals the cap and the housing.
I would suggest pulling the cap off and looking inside to make sure it's not leaking from the shaft seal. If that is dry then a new o-ring should fix you up.

Oh I see, the cap will not effect the timing right?

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:15 pm

RLZ wrote:
yoshimitsuspeed wrote:I will have them available next week. I just need to wait for my order to come in so I can confirm size and figment.

Oh I see, the cap will not effect the timing right?

Nope

RLZ
Club4AG Pro

Postby RLZ » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:03 pm

i took some pics when the cover off, i think the leak is from the shaft seal but im not 100% sure..

RLZ
Club4AG Pro

Postby RLZ » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:08 pm

I think I might just buy a new dizzy, do you guys think this will fit? http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00ARJNUS ... 046&sr=8-4

Gripen
Club4AG Regular

Postby Gripen » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:16 pm

It's not the o-ring that's around the shaft of the distributor. Looks like it's the seal (bearing?) around the drive shaft of the distributor rotor. I've got the same issue.
2000 Land Rover Discovery II
1989 Toyota Corolla GT-S
1986 Toyota Corolla GT-S