Help buying an AE86!

Anything about cars, as long as it's clean...
No offensive language, no profanity, no nudity, nothing that your mom will slap you for...
Be nice to others.
Xephoz

Help buying an AE86!

Postby Xephoz » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:21 am

Hi guys, new member here, nice to meet you all! Okay so I've been on Craigslist and found what appears to be a nice SR5 for sale. I'm located in the North Eastern part of the US, and there aren't many that surface up here. The SR5 I found looks to be rebuilt almost fully. The owner sent me a list of mods he has done to it which I can provide below. Anyways, I don't know much about AE86's, just the difference between the SR5 and GTS really. When I go to meet the owner, what should I look for on the car? I know these cars and most Japanese cars from the 80's where notorious to rust, and that's my biggest issue with buying this car. Also I want your opinion on it as a daily driver? I'm not turning it into a drift car, I want to keep it a clean example of an AE86. So how are these for DD's? I know it's an 80's corolla and not a brand new Mercedes, so I am not worried about any special features or anything like that. I'm talking like commenting to work, and long highway drives for cruising purposes :) Please help a new guy about, give me some advice on buying this car, and is it good for my DD needs? Thanks guys! I'll post the information below:

1987 AE86 SR5

87,xxx Miles

Asking $3500

Bored out .3
high performance cam
New rods and pistons
New bearings
New clutch pressure plate
New shifter and shift linkage
New steering column
New steering wheel
New drive shaft
New rear axle still in the silver color like brand new
floor pans redone
Only rust is in the rear quarter and a little on the gas tank
Paint was done a while ago
Sunroof
New interior
Some surface rust thats coated with a special rust paint that stops it from spreading
The paint is pretty good on it no fading, just a little knick here
New front racing seats
Leather Upholstered Rear Seats
New radiator
New lines
New spark plugs and distributer
Replaced the alternator
New heavy duty battery
Replaced dampers

Let me know what you guys think, I have pictures to I'll try posting

milchmann
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: Help buying an AE86!

Postby milchmann » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:42 am

Toyota's were a lot better than Honda's, but all cars rust when you put them in the salt.
The most common places that I have seen for rust other than exterior are:
1) Under the battery tray in the engine compartment.
2) Under the CMC/MC/Brake Booster in the engine compartment.
3) Under the carpet behind the pedals in the cabin.
4) Spare tire well.
5) Trunk pockets (between fender and floor pan where the factory jack is kept).

As far as using one as a daily driver. Personally I wouldn't. It is going to get chewed up, and some of the parts are not the easiest to find when they break. It should be reliable though. A 4ac will give you 2-300K miles before it does not love you any more.

Xephoz

Postby Xephoz » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:05 am

Summer is coming so I shouldn't be worried about rust, I want to sand it down anyways to get what's on it gone. I'm mainly worried mechanical wise how it will last, I'm going to maintain it to the best I can also.

milchmann
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby milchmann » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:39 pm

You should be very concerned about rust in the places I mentioned. The worst places for it to get are #2,3,5.

Mechanically it is like any other car. If you are concerned about it, and do not know how to check it, or do not have the tools, just bring it to a reputable mechanic. They will charge you $50-60, and usually warranty the inspection.

Xephoz

Postby Xephoz » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:23 pm

Yes you are right about the rust, now that I think about it that's my biggest concern. I'm worried that the owner is trying to cover up the rust, how can I check for this?

Toybrota
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Toybrota » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:01 pm

Do you have a mechanic you trust?
ask the seller if you can take the car to him for an inspection.
We do that to all cars we go out and buy

(except my corolla which I actually went and bought it on blind faith :? )

Xephoz

Postby Xephoz » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:10 am

Toybrota wrote:Do you have a mechanic you trust?
ask the seller if you can take the car to him for an inspection.
We do that to all cars we go out and buy

(except my corolla which I actually went and bought it on blind faith :? )

I do, actually. Only problem is the seller is located an hour away from me

milchmann
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby milchmann » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:07 am

Xephoz wrote:Yes you are right about the rust, now that I think about it that's my biggest concern. I'm worried that the owner is trying to cover up the rust, how can I check for this?

First thing to look for is if there is fresh paint, or newer than stock paint in any of the areas you are concerned with. If it is not painted, you obviously do not have to worry if you do not see rust. If it was painted over you will see pitting or bubbling in the paint.

Xephoz

Postby Xephoz » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:34 am

Ok thanks, also. Do you guys think this is a good price for an SR5 with these mods on top of it? There is a pretty clean looking GTS for sale nearby also for $4500

IndiaDorifto7
Club4AG Expert

Postby IndiaDorifto7 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:52 pm

Xephoz wrote:Ok thanks, also. Do you guys think this is a good price for an SR5 with these mods on top of it? There is a pretty clean looking GTS for sale nearby also for $4500

Well, it depends. If you have the time and ability to go for a 4age swap and gts rear end, go for it; summer is coming up, so it may be a good summer project. But if you just want it for work commute/ dd or don't have the time, i'd say buy the GTS. Weigh out the costs of swapping gt-s stuff into an sr5 and just buying a gts. I'd recommend getting the GTS because even though you may not need a 4AGE, you'll want one, and because you want a CLEAN example of a corolla (not swaped or heavily modded). If you can live with 4AC, go for the SR5. :D