Education and Car tuning, yeah a boring subject.

Anything about cars, as long as it's clean...
No offensive language, no profanity, no nudity, nothing that your mom will slap you for...
Be nice to others.
Crono0001
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: Education and Car tuning, yeah a boring subject.

Postby Crono0001 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:49 pm

This whole thread is about money?

miswuevos
Club4AG Expert

Postby miswuevos » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:46 am

Crono0001 wrote:This whole thread is about money?

not so much..., Its meant to highlight whether education should be pursued, how people do it with their cars, or just like previous narratives about the struggles with our cars and how we have made it happen

Fishy Warren
Club4AG Regular

Postby Fishy Warren » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:58 am

Crono0001 wrote: They aren't paid for their manual labor abilities. They are paid for their knowledge and thinking skills.

I worked around a few engineers that have none of what you speak of.

Fishy Warren
Club4AG Regular

Postby Fishy Warren » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:44 am

Crono0001 wrote:I am a process module engineer. There is a line of modules (machines that do things) which I manage, troubleshoot, and program.

Also, Process module engineer? Are you a controls tech in a plant? And by module do you mean a skid? Are the "machine's that do things" recipe's, compressors, turbines and gear boxes?

I don't want to chop you down or anything but, if you're just some young operator in a refinery baby sitting a skid of equipment. I don't consider you an engineer by no means.... The mechanics that come fix the steam turbine that over-speed and never tripped are way more important than you.

sorry.

SidekickChuck
Club4AG Expert

Postby SidekickChuck » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:51 pm

The title Engineer has come a long way, and is very widely used in different environments these days. It can be very hard to define what an engineer is since the environments and scenarios differ from one workplace to another.

As a Systems Engineer, I generate requirements, test requirements, build systems and sub-systems based on these requirements, and maintain the operations of all the systems and its various software components as part of the overall ground system in a deep space mission. I never touched a schematic, or soldier a wire or component as this is the job of the Flight Hardware Systems team.
Silver/Black 1985 ae86 gts Heavens Gate Corolla
2001 Carbon Black e39 M5
89' Supra Twin Turbo 1JZ (sold)

Crono0001
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Crono0001 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:28 pm

Fishy Warren wrote:
Crono0001 wrote:I am a process module engineer. There is a line of modules (machines that do things) which I manage, troubleshoot, and program.

Also, Process module engineer? Are you a controls tech in a plant? And by module do you mean a skid? Are the "machine's that do things" recipe's, compressors, turbines and gear boxes?

I don't want to chop you down or anything but, if you're just some young operator in a refinery baby sitting a skid of equipment. I don't consider you an engineer by no means.... The mechanics that come fix the steam turbine that over-speed and never tripped are way more important than you.

sorry.

Not really. You can think of me as the kind of guy that designs and manage things which your team of process techs, mechanics, and operators work on. They escalate issues to me if they can't figure it out. And we are all important. Without techs, the machines would never run.

And you can consider me whatever the hell you want. Doesn't change my job title. Or my pay scale. Pardon the e-peen swinging.

Crono0001
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Crono0001 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:37 pm

Fishy Warren wrote:
Crono0001 wrote: They aren't paid for their manual labor abilities. They are paid for their knowledge and thinking skills.

I worked around a few engineers that have none of what you speak of.

Also, what is your point? I've know models that aren't hot. I've seen presidents that can't lead. And I've seen police officers that have authority issues.

If you're trying to take a jab at me, or engineers in general, you should just state what is really on your mind.

canyon_carvers
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby canyon_carvers » Fri May 02, 2014 6:40 am

This thread just went down hill... ^_^

miswuevos
Club4AG Expert

Postby miswuevos » Fri May 02, 2014 11:56 am

U know man, at least I received some input

SidekickChuck
Club4AG Expert

Postby SidekickChuck » Mon May 05, 2014 2:38 pm

What didnt get explored here was the people who buy things on credit cards and cant afford it. I am talking big ticket items which a lot of people may either pass up on, or save up for. But there are a lot of car guys who want it now at whatever the cost, and throw plastic at it. This to me, is the worst of all. Spending beyond your means.
2001 Carbon Black e39 M5

Crono0001
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Crono0001 » Mon May 05, 2014 4:45 pm

SidekickChuck wrote:What didnt get explored here was the people who buy things on credit cards and cant afford it. I am talking big ticket items which a lot of people may either pass up on, or save up for. But there are a lot of car guys who want it now at whatever the cost, and throw plastic at it. This to me, is the worst of all. Spending beyond your means.

That doesn't just go for car parts, but life in general.

Taking an 8 year loan just to pay $150 a month for a vehicle is usually not a wise decision.

SidekickChuck
Club4AG Expert

Postby SidekickChuck » Tue May 06, 2014 7:14 am

I totally agree, but was trying to keep it on topic in some respect.

Ive purchased a few new cars (dont plan on doing it again) from the dealer, and the longest loan was 5 years. I dont like having car debt. A home loan is bad enough. I took a small personal loan to get my M5, but I put the majority of it down in cash and paid the loan off in 3 years. The only debt I want is my home loan until it is paid off, and if I ever do need a small loan for another family car, so be it. But I have heard of people taking out high interest loans for wheels, expensive performance parts etc... That, I dont get at all. Even as a poor college student, I worked and saved for what I wanted. All money that ended up being thrown away like a lot of mods we do, but I didnt buy anything I couldnt afford.
2001 Carbon Black e39 M5

JyuRoku
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby JyuRoku » Tue May 06, 2014 10:25 pm

My advice to any young kid that wants to have the money to build a nice car? Join the Air Force.

Your given a free place to live, free food to eat, a steady job, and a steady paycheck. Almost every base also has a fully stocked garage with lifts and almost anything you need. Since your food and lodging is free, once your phone/internet is paid for, you can dump everything to your car. As a E-3 arriving to my first base, I built a turbo S2000. Granted I had a credit card and a car loan, my 6 year contract garanteed i could pay everything off before I got out.

Now i re-enlisted and i live in Japan. Life is good.

knockoutcold
Club4AG Regular

Postby knockoutcold » Wed May 07, 2014 11:53 pm

I agree with said military. The Air Force helped me out in ways that I never imagined and is still helping me. However the military isn't for everyone.

I think it is just money management.

I've been over seas enough times to say that where ever you live (America, GB, Japan, etc.) there are trade offs for every thing. Most people use cars in their daily lives, whether you drive to work or are into tuning and racing. I currently live in North Carolina, where car laws are by far some of the most lenient I have ever seen. Gas is cheap and most cops around here don't really bother you as far as mods on your vehicle. I know a person who has a fully registered R32 here and has no problem with regs. You can do pretty much anything to a car older than 25 years out here and be able to pass all regs. California has horribly strict smog laws, safety laws, just stupid laws in general. GB you pay nearly 11 USD per gallon of petrol. And GB has some weird tax laws too like door knob tax and TV tax. That being said I would never tell anyone to move to NC, but for car enthusiasts it's not a bad place.

I grew up in Cali, used to expensive everything. Money being spent on useless things like the newest cell phone with the $200 plan is pointless. Going out to eat puts a huge dent in your wallet too. Housing will always be expensive regardless if you are married or not. AND... as long as your car is running, you don't need those canards/diffuser/new rims/carbon hood/etc. right this moment. Take your time accumulating those parts. Being in debt sucks and no body wants that.

But like I said man, money management.
a bimmer driver once told me that my 4ag looked like a loaf of bread.