Picked up an SR-5 coupe

Anything about cars, as long as it's clean...
No offensive language, no profanity, no nudity, nothing that your mom will slap you for...
Be nice to others.
yukesrevolver
Club4AG Enthusiast

Picked up an SR-5 coupe

Postby yukesrevolver » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:55 pm

...that's cleaner than any all factory, untouched AE86 I have ever seen (in person). Bought it from the original owners (it was actually the wife's car, so I technically bought it from an old lady!). 87 white 5 speed, had a roof over its head its entire life. 88k miles, ZERO rust.

Meticulously maintained. They had a small notepad as their "maintenance log", with its first entry in 87 for an oil change at 3011 miles :D . Paint is all original and shines like new, it really does stun you (at least me) when you look at it in the sun. I'm not used to seeing shiny paint on an AE86. It still has the Toyota vin stickers all over the place: both fender, rear trunk, think there's one on the hood. Waxed twice a year, which is honestly all it needs when it see's an average of 3300 miles a year and is covered when not in use. Even armor-all'd the weatherstripping. Looks brand spanking new!

I could go on and on about how they took care of it. Well mostly. The engine and bay are dirty, but interior/exterior is perfect! Should be able to clean up the engine bay pretty easily. On to the pictures!

Within a few hours of purchase I already had my Dunlop t-e's and Colin Cross-fever's on it, lol.

Forgot about the OEM floor mats. They covered them with other carpet, so they're still perfect!

This is a dealer installed cruise control....first thing I asked about since I had never seen a cruise switch like that on 86. Debating removing it....

Engine bay could use some love, but who knows how long that 4A-C will actually remain in there....hmmmmmm?

And that's the crux of the situation....its so clean, I'm scared to really do anything too drastic to it. I want to keep it simple, and as OEM as possible. But I already miss my 4A-G, so leaning towards a 4A-G carb scenario. I would do a GT-S swap but I'm afraid I'll destroy interior pieces ripping the dash apart (done it before).

Also noticed the dealer installed mudflaps :lol: Was also stoked that the bumpers aren't those fuzzy SR-5 types. Did the 87's not get those?
85 GT-S Hatch (Bloody Panda)
87 SR-5 Coupe (white)

Hindi
Club4AG Regular

Re: Picked up an SR-5 coupe

Postby Hindi » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:03 am

I'm very jealous! Great find!

I don't know if I could bring myself to modify it too much.

John H.
Club4AG Expert

Postby John H. » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:14 pm

This thing is so clean.
I've always wanted to get a white SR5 coupe like yours, and simply put JDM bumpers on it, lower it on some nice wheels and call it a day. :)
But that's just me, lol!

Nice find bro.

-John H.

idreamofdrifting
Club4AG MASTER

Postby idreamofdrifting » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:51 am

John H. wrote:This thing is so clean.
I've always wanted to get a white SR5 coupe like yours, and simply put JDM bumpers on it, lower it on some nice wheels and call it a day. :)
But that's just me, lol!

Nice find bro.

-John H.

+1

Mason, that thing is so clean, it literally belongs in a museum.
I'd personally leave it the way it is except lower it to give it a nice stance. Excellent find!

Grant
Club4AG Expert

Postby Grant » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:42 am

I agree with the others. Just drive it for a while as is, and keep taking good care of it. Very nice find. :)
I'm always glad to know there are still people who take care of their cars like this.
Last edited by Grant on Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SidekickChuck
Club4AG Expert

Postby SidekickChuck » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:31 am

What a fine example of a well maintained, original UN-molested car!
Today, you would not expect to be able to run across a car like this, in this condition after all these years. Even if one did come across a single owner car, so much time has passed, most cars would be pretty beaten up by time itself.

Props to you to be able to score such a gem. Take care of it and show everyone that you can have a clean, straight, shiny original paint car with a great interior!
Silver/Black 1985 ae86 gts Heavens Gate Corolla
2001 Carbon Black e39 M5
89' Supra Twin Turbo 1JZ (sold)

SidekickChuck
Club4AG Expert

Postby SidekickChuck » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:32 am

Oh, and if you ever decide to swap out the head unit, please contact me as I am looking for an OEM radio with pigtails.
I would buy yours at your asking price (as long as it is within reason) and could send you the Kenwood CD/MP3 player with trim to sweeten the deal.
Silver/Black 1985 ae86 gts Heavens Gate Corolla
2001 Carbon Black e39 M5
89' Supra Twin Turbo 1JZ (sold)

bay_ae86_area
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby bay_ae86_area » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:03 am

I'm starting to like white even more. Great score. Keep it STOCK/OEM.

RuizXIII
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby RuizXIII » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:36 pm

My word! That is stupid clean.
irony.cc

IndiaDorifto7
Club4AG Expert

Postby IndiaDorifto7 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:06 am

Try to work with 4ac and do something different. I'd like to see a 4ac with 4ag horsepower, but that's just me. ;)

hachigo87
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby hachigo87 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:17 pm

Awesome example, reminds me of my first car, also an 87 SR5 coupe. I always thought mine was pretty clean aside from the rust and 160k when I picked it up. My bumpers were fuzzy so I'd just guess yours never got a chance to let mother nature break them down.

I also vote to keep it bone stock aside from light suspension mods and wheels, things that are easily reversible. This car can only increase in value as finding a bone stock AE86 regardless of trim is extremely rare, let alone such a mint example.
'85 GT-S coupe
'85 GT-S coupe - For sale!
'72 Datsun 240Z
'87 Mazda B2000
'02 Silverado Z71

grappletech
Club4AG Expert

Postby grappletech » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:38 pm

What an awesome pick-up. Drive it till the wheels fall off or you figure out exactly what you want
87 GTS Coupe stock and Super Duper Clean
87 GTS Coupe Beams 3sge (under construction cuz I'm slow and lazy and broke-FML)
87 SR5 Coupe Shell. (Sold)
86 SR5 Hatch Shell
86 GT-SR5 Coupe 20v Swap

goofesgts
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby goofesgts » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:22 am

super clean car, great find! it would be a crime to change anything to it... we need more good bone stock examples out there.. I say leabve it bone stock, you will get even more looks and wows leaving it stock than modifying it .... or sell it to me lol I have a nice motorcycle superclean if interested lol
how can i go to heaven? accepting jesus christ as youre savior!! thats youre ticket to heaven!

yukesrevolver
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby yukesrevolver » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:24 am

Yeah, think I've decided to just let it alone for the most part. It was never a plan to HEAVILY modify it in any way, just to make it actually feel like a sports car and not a hot grocery getter.

Replace bushings, GT-S sways (have a couple lying around), modest lowering springs, OEM style sport shocks, wheels that won't scrub/require modification to the fender wells, and then just sit back and stare at it.
87 SR-5 Coupe (white)

hachigo87
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby hachigo87 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:25 am

yukesrevolver wrote:Yeah, think I've decided to just let it alone for the most part. It was never a plan to HEAVILY modify it in any way, just to make it actually feel like a sports car and not a hot grocery getter.

Replace bushings, GT-S sways (have a couple lying around), modest lowering springs, OEM style sport shocks, wheels that won't scrub/require modification to the fender wells, and then just sit back and stare at it.

Good idea, if it were me I'd keep all the stock parts too if you ever want to return it to 100% stock. My GT-S was bone stock minus a crappy repaint and I have everything from the stock steering wheel to the old suspension sitting in the shed.
'85 GT-S coupe
'85 GT-S coupe - For sale!
'72 Datsun 240Z
'87 Mazda B2000
'02 Silverado Z71

Grant
Club4AG Expert

Postby Grant » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:14 pm

hachigo87 wrote:
yukesrevolver wrote:Yeah, think I've decided to just let it alone for the most part. It was never a plan to HEAVILY modify it in any way, just to make it actually feel like a sports car and not a hot grocery getter.

Good idea, if it were me I'd keep all the stock parts too if you ever want to return it to 100% stock. My GT-S was bone stock minus a crappy repaint and I have everything from the stock steering wheel to the old suspension sitting in the shed.

Yea I agree about keeping the OEM parts. Every used car I've purchased has some part missing or replaced. It's kind of annoying when you have to track the parts down again. :P

yukesrevolver
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby yukesrevolver » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:06 pm

If you saw my garage you'd instantly see I have the opposite problem when it comes to hoarding parts I've taken off. Unfortunately the GTS front plastics from my hatch are zenki (the SR5 front just seems lacking without at least that GTS lip), so all I have to use are my factory sways and some rear HPs.

picked up some TRD 4way full lengths for the front, RSR springs that look mild as hell, and a FULL bushing kit, complete with toppers. Dreading that bushing work on the arms though, hahaha. Should ride beautifully afterwards.
87 SR-5 Coupe (white)

saiGone
Club4AG Expert

Postby saiGone » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:11 am

Bushings are one of the most fun parts to work on the AE86! Especially if you burn them out.
Club 4AG member since 05 (Formally SaigonsSon)

yukesrevolver
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby yukesrevolver » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:32 am

Updated photos right meow!

Lowered on RS-R springs (about the same as Espelir ASD's as compared to my hatch)
SSR Reverse Mesh: Front: 15x7 +10 Rear:15x7.5 -5
185/55/15 Yokohama S-Drive
TRD 4 way adjustable full stroke Front
TRD 8 way adjustable full stroke rear
TRD strut mounts
The rest of the TRD bushings will be installed when I convert the rear to GT-S spec. Kinda just get all the bushings done while I got the rear-end off.

The RS-R's actually dropped it more than I kind of wanted, so now I have to replace the panhard with an adjustable unit to re-center the rear. Unless someone knows someone that has TRD -lowering- springs?
87 SR-5 Coupe (white)

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:45 am

Sounds awesome. 2 questions:

1. Where did you get the trd strut mounts?

2. What are the spring rates, and how do they feel with those shocks?

yukesrevolver
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby yukesrevolver » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:08 pm

A1: They came with the bushing kit I bought off a member on this site. Was an older unused box. The mounts have held up fine. No cracks in the rubber.
A2: No idea on the rates, but they're definitely soft enough for the street. The seller on this site didn't know either. I'ved likened them to Espelir ASD's.

Even RS-R's site is no help, as the springs only have the RS-R logo on them, but no model stamp.
http://www.rs-r.co.jp/e/script/itemsearch/index.html

I want to say they're 2.63kg/2.33kg, but the listed drops make no sense to me. It definitely looks like more than 25mm drop in the front, and certainly more than 15mm on the rear.
They match up very well with the TRD shocks. Which isn't that surprising really, as these springs are probably near as soft as the TRD street springs. All 4 shocks are set to half (2 and 4 settings) and its stiff enough for sporty driving without being uncomfortable. Definitely too soft for any serious track use, but that should be expected.
87 SR-5 Coupe (white)

GtsTone23
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby GtsTone23 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:03 pm

Car is SICK!!!!! Great find bro and beautiful touch with the wheels and lowering ........... I gotta post a pic of the 84 I picked up a few months ago, it needed a headgasket and a few other things repaired but it was garage kept and came from Texas. The white and Gold go perfect!!
Been a member here since the pop-ups were around ... Remember those, not many do!

yukesrevolver
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby yukesrevolver » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:41 pm

Thank you for the compliment! I agree; the drop with the SSR Reverse Mesh really made her shine even more.

Post up the 84! If you got a clean 86 you're not showing off, you're doing everyone on this board a disservice!
87 SR-5 Coupe (white)