Looking at a car.

Anything about cars, as long as it's clean...
No offensive language, no profanity, no nudity, nothing that your mom will slap you for...
Be nice to others.
Cavalier0

Looking at a car.

Postby Cavalier0 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:58 pm

Okay, so, I'm looking at this car.

It's a 1985 Toyota Corolla GTS, 4AGE engine, and the guy says he's got a number of modifications that he added onto it.

He's got the VIN showed, JT2AE88S6F0142395.

I really hope this is the right place to ask this, because I want to know what to ask about this kind of car and stuff like that, and I figured I'd go to subject matter experts.

Zissou
Club4AG Regular

Re: Looking at a car.

Postby Zissou » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:39 am

I don't understand what the question is. Do you want to know what to look for as a buyer? Or do you have a question about the vin?

Clouds
Club4AG Expert

Postby Clouds » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:10 am

Cavalier0 wrote:Okay, so, I'm looking at this car.

It's a 1985 Toyota Corolla GTS, 4AGE engine, and the guy says he's got a number of modifications that he added onto it.

He's got the VIN showed, JT2AE88S6F0142395.

I really hope this is the right place to ask this, because I want to know what to ask about this kind of car and stuff like that, and I figured I'd go to subject matter experts.

What was the guy's asking price and what condition is it in?
There shouldn't be a day that goes by where you don't learn something new.

Cavalier0

Postby Cavalier0 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:14 pm

Asking price is 5.1k.

The condition is apparently mint or near mint, as he's rebuilt the engine and it's been kept in a garage under a cover for about 6 years.

I wanna know what I really need to pay attention to as a buyer.

omgdaniel

Postby omgdaniel » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:07 pm

Look for rust, anywhere. Where is the location of the car, check wheel wells, check the engine, etc. You'll just need to look at the basic stuff when purchasing a car.

Also, have any pics?

Cavalier0

Postby Cavalier0 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:45 pm

Yes i do.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/101 ... 78891.jpeg

I'd post the Craigslist posting, but I'm kinda worried it might get sniped by someone else.

RLZ
Club4AG Pro

Postby RLZ » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:47 pm

For that price it should be pretty good conditions, what I look at when I buying a car is does it has a clean title? rust? straight body or chassis? check the radiator support if any bend or repaired spot also underneath of the car. Check everywhere make sure no leaks, Start the car and listen to the sound from engine and make sure is doesnt shakes, check idle if it's in normal range and shift the tranny make sure no pop out something like that, after that test drive it turn off the music close the windows try to listen to any noise from the car, that's what I learn after I bought my car I notice the rear wheel bearings making noise but it's too late when I found out :lol: oh yeah check the alignment also, and I check every gaps between the wheel to the body they suppose to be the same, those what I learned after 4 86s I owned now I have the 5th one :lol:

milchmann
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby milchmann » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:43 am

Common rust spots are:
1) Under the battery tray
2) Engine bay on firewall bellow brake booster and CMC.
3) Inside cabin drivers side firewall near pedals down to the floor pan
4) Trunk, especially the side pockets (where the jack and tire tool are/were)
5) Rocker Panels

saiGone
Club4AG Expert

Postby saiGone » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:03 pm

looks good from the pictures.... but there isnt a single exterior shot. everything is zoomed in.

Craigslist post says it hasnt been ran in 6 years. so check to see if it even runs.
Club 4AG member since 05 (Formally SaigonsSon)

Cavalier0

Postby Cavalier0 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:35 pm

As an update from the guy, this is what he had to say about it.

"Yes. Last time I drove it (5 to 6 years ago) all was fine. I'm unsure how well it would run as the fuel in it has gone sour I'm sure. But if you want to bring a good battery we can get her going. All I can tell you is that you need to see the car. The motor, trans/ clutch, body, glass, LSD are all in good working order. Again I haven't drove it in a long time. The only reason for this is I bought a Grand National then another Grand National. At that point (having two GN's) I lost interest in the GTS so I parked it. I now have a 2010 GT500 so again I have no interest. I know I can get the car going and post videos on YouTube to aid in selling it. Videos of it revving out to 9K (oh it does) and drifting and all that. However that's not what I'm willing to do for two reasons. One is I work two jobs during the week 55+ total and on the weekend I repair automobiles in my driveway/ garage. So I just don't have time. Reason two is the big one. I know for a fact that if I did put time into this car I know I would not sell it. I would fall in love w/ it all over again. I've told myself many times I would never sell it. I bought it on E-Bay 7ish years ago for $5000 plus another $800 for freight/ hauling it to WI. I was worried about what I was getting and put a lot of trust into the "at the time" owner. Well when I got it was even better that I imagined and could have ever thought. I bought a set of new Konig wheels and a set of cams. Then six months or so later I popped on a Grand National. I didn't really even want to post pics of the car on Craig's list as I want to weed out "tire kickers". I feel that if someone is serious and wants to see the car at that time I will put the wrench down show her off and kiss her good bye. I want you or your friend to see the car and I will do whatever I can to address any concerns or questions. I think it would be best to bring a trailer as it has been sitting unattended for a long time. Don't let that scare you though. Its the real deal and there are no hidden surprises. As far as the price of the car Vs. the state its in right now. Well I don't have to sell it. I want to. Having said that I want what I feel I need to get to sell it. I hope we talk soon and I look forward to possibly meeting you. Thank you.

P.S. I have paper work of the original E-Bay post and so much more. To much more."

Cavalier0

Postby Cavalier0 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:47 pm

Update:

Apparently, for 400 more, he's willing to bring it back up to full operational status, bringing the price up to 5.5k.

Still worth?

IndiaDorifto7
Club4AG Expert

Postby IndiaDorifto7 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:33 pm

See the car and take some pix, tell us how the car is, the experts will probably know what's going on :)

GtsTone23
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby GtsTone23 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:48 am

Cavalier0 wrote:Update:

Apparently, for 400 more, he's willing to bring it back up to full operational status, bringing the price up to 5.5k.

Still worth?

Honest opinion and take it for what it's worth,
1. You don't know what it's worth and neither do we. You need to see pic's of the outside and of the trunk and motor etc etc. Those pic's he sent you are zoomed in and you only get shots of certain things he wanted you to see. If he wants to sell he will be happy to send you pic's, if your seriously talking to him of whatever you want to see. Personally for that amount of money, I would want a video of the motor running but that's just me.
2. How you getting it home, you shipping it or driving it back? Well factor in those cost as well in the price of the car.
So now he's willing to bring it up to full operational status bringing the price to 5500
5500 plus 900 to ship it home 6400
5500 plus driving it back 4-500/5900-6000
Now here's the real question, is the car worth it to you? Can you find a car closer for 6-6400? Just giving you something to think about.
Been a member here since the pop-ups were around ... Remember those, not many do!

Cavalier0

Postby Cavalier0 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:34 pm

Okay, quick update.

There are a few different options that have come up since I last posted, which is making me lean more away from this one.

I'd say 4-500 for driving it a short hop over the border to Wisconsin is DEFINITELY overestimating it, though.

I looked at two different options though, and neither of them are particularly pretty but both of them (AFAIK) still run and are much closer to my home.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/cto/4703666092.html

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/4707024145.html

The first one has a screwed up axle, but the guy apparently has a replacement axle ready to go and is willing to throw it in. The 20v Silvertop isn't in the car (a 16v redtop is currently in it) but he's also throwing it in for free.

The second one has the 20v Blacktop which is a major plus IMO, it runs, and it doesn't look that shabby either.

GtsTone23
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby GtsTone23 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:11 pm

You never said where your FROM?? Those were just Guesstimates
Been a member here since the pop-ups were around ... Remember those, not many do!

Cavalier0

Postby Cavalier0 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:14 pm

Sorry.

Chicago.

IndiaDorifto7
Club4AG Expert

Postby IndiaDorifto7 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:37 pm

As a self-proclaimed Craigslist expert, I'd ask the owner in the first one for pics of the engine, interior, and undercarriage. As for the second one, don't assume that the owner is correct on the amount of rust spots on the car. He may say that there is some surface rust, however, that surface rust may slowly be eating its may through the frame. the PO of my 86 said that the only rust spots on the ae86 (now mine) were on the roof, but turns out, the hood has oxidation and rust is forming right under the paint, thankfully, that isn't the case for the frame. My advice is, DON'T CHEAP OUT, it's best to invest some money into a better condition ae86 because the extra grand you save on an ae86 may translate into $2000 worth in repairs to the car. There's my two cents :)

Cavalier0

Postby Cavalier0 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:44 pm

Yeah, I got the idea that Craigslist listings, when they say surface rust, they mean the entire car is eaten by rust, when they say needs a tune-up, it needs a new engine outright, and minor handling issues means that it's not on wheels at all.

Oh, and "quick and easy fix" means "congratulations, you're spending more than the car is worth fixing the problems with it".