4A gze modded HP guess estimate

Anything about cars, as long as it's clean...
No offensive language, no profanity, no nudity, nothing that your mom will slap you for...
Be nice to others.
lotusman

4A gze modded HP guess estimate

Postby lotusman » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:12 am

My first Toyota engine and have no idea about HP.

Its in an kit car called the Fisher Fury, I have documents for most of the work. Since it is supercharged stock would be 165HP. What it has installed is a formula Atlantic head job with oversized valves from Port Flow Design a Cusco Pulley for 14 pounds of boost web 101 cams Wisco Forged pistons (CR unknown) TRD main Bearing caps, ARP fasteners, Air to air intercooler. headers and an SDS EFI programable ignition and injection system.

I see the Formula Atlantic engines being in the 220-250hp range without supercharging.

What should I expect to be the redline-and crankshaft HP?

This will be passing thru a TRD G50n CR gearbox-and a 4.11 rear with LSD-1200 pounds car.

Big Thanks
Kevin Kearney
Bethesda MD

ae90tuner
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: 4A gze modded HP guess estimate

Postby ae90tuner » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:26 am

If it is still on the sc12 I dont see it being much more over 200whp and if it was an sc14 220whp, even with the head job. The limiting thing to the hp here isn't how your engine has been built, its the air pump that is limiting the output. These superchargers usually run out of breath before 7,000rpm so I wouldn't expect this build to be the same screamer build as a high strung NA or FA build. Whoever built this had low end and mid range in mind.

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:01 am

Yeah if you are on the stock supercharger there is only so much you can do to work around it.
The biggest factor would really be compression because the supercharger is completely limited by how much air it can flow.
On the stock SC12 I'd be surprised if you were over 180 WHP.

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:03 pm

for a moment... assume it is n/a... the Web 101 cams are about 8.9mm lift, they are 272 type duration... so with adequate compression (11.5+) this engine should make in the area of 190-200 @ the crank.

if the compression is high enough... the torque on this must be nice :o

Since you don't know the static CR of this engine... your final hp could be as low as 165 (maybe even lower), or as high as 200-210 on high compression, and boost with BIG VALVES. As already has been mentioned the OEM supercharger is your problem here...

One of my one-day "secret" projects is to use a big valve head on a 7A with either the SC14, or possibly something slightly larger but newer design (still twin-screw), and run custom assym cams measuring 248 total degrees, and 212 @ .050" while lifting to as close to 9mm as they can build. Static compression to be 10.5 to 1

edit -

yoshimitsuspeed wrote:Yeah if you are on the stock supercharger there is only so much you can do to work around it.
The biggest factor would really be compression because the supercharger is completely limited by how much air it can flow.
On the stock SC12 I'd be surprised if you were over 180 WHP.

as you are fond of saying.... this needs compression. If this engine were running 10 to 1 or better this engine would be very close to 200/200, add some decent head porting and you are easily over
OST Cyl head porting, - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=300

Building a great engine takes knowing the end... before you begin :ugeek:

Enjoy Life... its the only one you get!

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:41 pm

I do think it would be possible to get over 200 WHP with enough compression and the right cams.
I have never seen it done though.
The problem is that the SC12 will put out very hot air even at 14 PSI which will make it much more likely to detonate. You would need very good intercooling or probably even meth injection to combat the high intake temps.