Aftermarket Gauges

Anything about cars, as long as it's clean...
No offensive language, no profanity, no nudity, nothing that your mom will slap you for...
Be nice to others.
.TRD.TRUENO.
Club4AG Regular

Aftermarket Gauges

Postby .TRD.TRUENO. » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:13 pm

When I got the car, the original temperature gauges on the oem cluster did not work. There was indeed an aftermarket water-temp gauge installed, but it was in Fahrenheit ( Yes, I go by Metrics :P). So I changed that to read in Celsius.
After not driving the car for a while, And with a flat battery, I jumped it and took it for a drive. It was after a 45min drive, I stopped for some lunch. The idiot that I am didn't question the charge of the battery, and inevitably, the battery wasn't charged when I tried to start it again. Had to flag down a fellow motorist who kindly helped jump the car. This brought me to realize that a volt meter would be significantly useful in this case. This got me thinking.... I may want to invest into more gauges to avoid any other similar incidences from happening in the future. It would be nice to have the car warn me of issues instead of rolling on the ground and crying about it after it happens. What other gauges should I get? What do you guys have? I am thinking of getting an oil pressure gauge next... Would that be of any use with the 4ag? Or how about an air/fuel ratio meter? Or would that be more suited for platforms with forced induction?

Cheers~

Glock30
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: Aftermarket Gauges

Postby Glock30 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:58 am

Personally, oil pressure, coolant temp and voltage are the most important. I also have an air/fuel gauge, but I'm carbed and like to keep an eye on the mixture. Oil temp is good if you drive it hard.
1984 Toyota Corolla Sport SR5
1989 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer
1968 Ford F250
Lots of 4AC info here: http://4ac-powered.forumotion.com/

Tora
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Tora » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:38 pm

I installed a very cheap (under $5) voltmeter off of Amazon (some retailer out of China) in the spot in my dash where the aftermarket cruise control used to be. A little plastic cutting and clear RTV, and it almost looks like it belongs there.

.TRD.TRUENO.
Club4AG Regular

Postby .TRD.TRUENO. » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:16 pm

Tora wrote:I installed a very cheap (under $5) voltmeter off of Amazon (some retailer out of China) in the spot in my dash where the aftermarket cruise control used to be. A little plastic cutting and clear RTV, and it almost looks like it belongs there.

I love it! Mods that look factory yet are distinguishable by those who notice are awesome! Thanks for the idea! (this saves me an air vent for another gauge.)