CA Shop Recommendation / Complete Bushing Kit Installation

Anything about cars, as long as it's clean...
No offensive language, no profanity, no nudity, nothing that your mom will slap you for...
Be nice to others.
ryun84
Club4AG Expert

CA Shop Recommendation / Complete Bushing Kit Installation

Postby ryun84 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:42 am

I know this question has been asked countless times but I'm hoping someone can help me with a SoCal shop recommendation for installing a complete bushing kit. I went to my usual place but they quoted me $650 for the install. That sounds quite high to me. And they made it seem like they've never done this type of install before. I don't want to name names because they're all nice guys and do good work. They just seemed like they didn't know how much to charge. Apparently the use of a machine press is the killer price-wise. Any help with recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by ryun84 on Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Glock30
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: CA Shop Recommendation

Postby Glock30 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:56 am

ryun84 wrote:I know this question has been asked countless times but I'm hoping someone can help me with a SoCal shop recommendation for installing a complete bushing kit. I went to my usual place but they quoted me $650 for the install. That sounds quite high to me. And they made it seem like they've never done this type of install before. I don't want to name names because they're all nice guys and do good work. They just seemed like they didn't know how much to charge. Apparently the use of a machine press is the killer price-wise. Any help with recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

A lot of places will outsource the pressing to a machine shop. I remember the last time I needed something pressed out in a pinch it was about $25 a pop. Doing the bushings sounds like a simple task, but it's time consuming. Shops usually charge upwards of $90/hour labor so to me it sounds logical. Personally that's why I do it myself. :shock:
1984 Toyota Corolla Sport SR5
1989 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer
1968 Ford F250
Lots of 4AC info here: http://4ac-powered.forumotion.com/

ryun84
Club4AG Expert

Postby ryun84 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:05 am

Glock30 wrote:A lot of places will outsource the pressing to a machine shop. I remember the last time I needed something pressed out in a pinch it was about $25 a pop. Doing the bushings sounds like a simple task, but it's time consuming. Shops usually charge upwards of $90/hour labor so to me it sounds logical. Personally that's why I do it myself. :shock:

Yeah, I'm not expecting the cost to be $100 or something like that, but I was hoping that I could find a place that charges less than what I got quoted. Might be just wishful thinking though. :(

ogdougynutty
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby ogdougynutty » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:36 am

You could buy a hydraulic press for have the price and have it done in no time lol. But if you are really stuck and cant find a reasonable place to do it.

I pressed out every bushing that needed to be pressed with this

Not as difficult as you would think.

ryun84
Club4AG Expert

Postby ryun84 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:41 am

THAT is awesome! LOL!

Yeah, I think I'm going to hold back on the install for a bit at least until I shop around and get a feel for how the pricing is and maybe if I feel adventurous, I'll try it myself. Thanks for the creative idea.

Glock30
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Glock30 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:24 pm

ogdougynutty wrote:You could buy a hydraulic press for have the price and have it done in no time lol. But if you are really stuck and cant find a reasonable place to do it.

That's how I did it. lol
1984 Toyota Corolla Sport SR5
1989 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer
1968 Ford F250
Lots of 4AC info here: http://4ac-powered.forumotion.com/

TORPARTS
Club4AG Expert

Postby TORPARTS » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:48 pm

ogdougynutty wrote:You could buy a hydraulic press for have the price and have it done in no time lol. But if you are really stuck and cant find a reasonable place to do it.

Good stuff douggie!

Any real mechanic could do this; if your shop does not ability they are not a shop I would take my Corolla too. It's not brain surgery any monkey can do this.

Good luck....
http://www.torparts.com
WORLD LEADER IN REPRODUCTION, OEM AND JDM PARTS.
US Veteran owned.....and medical recipient and food stamps...I love Obama!

Moto_Club4AG
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: CA Shop Recommendation / Complete Bushing Kit Installati

Postby Moto_Club4AG » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:18 am

Just be careful. A vice works better than c clamps and safer too :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Happy Motoring!

Moto Miwa - Founder, Club4AG

ApexTaq
Club4AG Regular

Postby ApexTaq » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:19 pm

Don't know if you've decided to do it yourself, but Hiro's Auto in Costa Mesa is great. No complaints about prices, and they've got experience with 86s.

ryun84
Club4AG Expert

Postby ryun84 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:42 pm

ApexTaq wrote:Don't know if you've decided to do it yourself, but Hiro's Auto in Costa Mesa is great. No complaints about prices, and they've got experience with 86s.

Thanks! I'll shoot them an email, too.

Moto_Club4AG
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Moto_Club4AG » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:30 am

Hiro's Auto Repair, Costs Mesa
Kids Automotive, Torrance
BlueMoon Performance, Westminster/Santa Ana

All of them do excellent work.
But none are cheap. Sometimes though, it's pertinent to have good knowledgable people and guys who have the tools in-house, do all this, as suspension components are not something one would want haphazard job, and it does require alignment afterwards too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Happy Motoring!

Moto Miwa - Founder, Club4AG