headers are burning my feet

Anything about cars, as long as it's clean...
No offensive language, no profanity, no nudity, nothing that your mom will slap you for...
Be nice to others.
iggy1evin
Club4AG Enthusiast

headers are burning my feet

Postby iggy1evin » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:20 pm

my 4age has a aftermarket header that came with the car I didn't notice how much it heated up till I had to daily it while my other car gets fixed. I didn't think too much about it till my heel on my shoe melted off my shoe, so I was wondering if there's a known method that could reduce the heat from the floor I was thinking heat wraps but my apartment complex frowns upon working on cars in their parking lot. So basically in a nutshell is there some kind of padding i can buy to put underneath the carpet that will reduce the heat that comes from the floor?

johnny_86
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: headers are burning my feet

Postby johnny_86 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:42 am

Dude its common if u live out in the desert i live out here in LA and im running a 4ac never really had any heating problems with the headers but when i drive out to vegas the floor be hot and burning. what i re common is the heat wrap it if u can and i think the sell some heat treated padding at home depot i think the sell it by the foot not really sure

carbd7age
Club4AG Pro

Postby carbd7age » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:07 pm

Bell makes a thermal heel protector. Kinda racecar stuff, not cool for daily use though.
http://www.thebellstore.com/Auto/bellau ... ories.html

Cuz you know you'll pull up to the spot in your hot 86 and see some cute chicks. They'll be like "ooo dang I like hour shiney shoes" and you'll be like "yeah, my feet catch fire.sometimes cuz my car is hella JDM". Then you'll leave the same way you came: with no.cute girls in the car.
Eric'sFreeAE86 from the old site
Knockoff Crew member #0001

MisterJerk
Club4AG Pro

Postby MisterJerk » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:15 am

aftermarket headers on mine and it roasts my feet(removed all the sound deadening too) if i drive fro more than 20 minutes at a time. I got one of them thick floor mat sets from wally world for less than $20, now i can drive for an hour before my feet are hella roasted.

iggy1evin
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby iggy1evin » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:15 pm

Not looking to pick up chicks with my car just wanting to drive without catching on fire I was kinda thinking about using some aluminum foil till I get a stock downpipe but Idk if that will work

my86mystory
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby my86mystory » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:16 pm

MisterJerk wrote:aftermarket headers on mine and it roasts my feet(removed all the sound deadening too) if i drive fro more than 20 minutes at a time. I got one of them thick floor mat sets from wally world for less than $20, now i can drive for an hour before my feet are hella roasted.

Same here with the thick floor mats. They're not that expensive plus it works. But warning since you said you wanted to put something under the carpet that if your heel melted, expect that the underside of the carpet may be melted to the chassis. My car at one point got hot enough to melt.

Jimmee1990
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Jimmee1990 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:11 am

Get your headers ceramic coated, fixes the problem properly rather than just putting things between you and the heat. Plus it looks awesome.

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:22 pm

^ I have the trd unit which comes ceramic coated from the factory (still in excellent shape). My right heal still gets roasted. I'm even using the extra heat shield from an sr5 which covers the problem area under the car and it doesn't really help much. Fwiw I've also removed the floor sound deadening and firewall pad, but I still have carpet and floor mats.

I'm going to try sticking some of this to the heatshield: http://www.designengineering.com/catego ... insulation. If that doesn't work I may also try ceramic coating the heat shield along with using the insulation, and/or wrapping the dp as a last resort. There's probably low profile heat barrier pads that could be placed under the carpet, but I haven't researched it.

Red
Club4AG Expert

Postby Red » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:33 pm

Heel melting off the shoe? Congratulations, you're a professional track driver now.<G>

You might want to ask the guys at SummitRacing or someplace similar about Nexus heat wrap and heat shields. Wrap the header to insulate it, add more insulation under the body to keep the rest of the heat out of the floor.

Unless this is just a track car and the Bell heel insulator floats your boat.

FWIW the original GT-S had a sheet metal "insulator" on the down pipe. POS always rattles on my car at high idle.
-- Original owner, 1985 GT-S

grappletech
Club4AG Expert

Postby grappletech » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:17 am

87 GTS Coupe stock and Super Duper Clean
87 GTS Coupe Beams 3sge (under construction cuz I'm slow and lazy and broke-FML)
87 SR5 Coupe Shell. (Sold)
86 SR5 Hatch Shell
86 GT-SR5 Coupe 20v Swap

iggy1evin
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby iggy1evin » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:09 pm

well just took apart the carpet to insulate it some more found my firewall and floor rusted to hell, though it doesnt look too bad (nothing alil bit of sanding and high temp paint can't fix) Im going to avoid daily driving it till I find a sure fire way to reduce the heat. I dont know about wrapping as I've heard that it keeps the moisture in the headers and causes it to rust fast and as ceramic coating I dont know if there's anyone here in my area that does that. does any shop do that or would I have to go to a specialty shop to get that done?

SidekickChuck
Club4AG Expert

Postby SidekickChuck » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:38 am

iggy1evin wrote:well just took apart the carpet to insulate it some more found my firewall and floor rusted to hell, though it doesnt look too bad (nothing alil bit of sanding and high temp paint can't fix) Im going to avoid daily driving it till I find a sure fire way to reduce the heat. I dont know about wrapping as I've heard that it keeps the moisture in the headers and causes it to rust fast and as ceramic coating I dont know if there's anyone here in my area that does that. does any shop do that or would I have to go to a specialty shop to get that done?

A simple google search for powder coating service in dallas:

http://www.3dpowdercoating.com/
http://www.custompowdercoating.com/
http://www.outlawpowdercoating.com/gallery.htm
Silver/Black 1985 ae86 gts Heavens Gate Corolla
2001 Carbon Black e39 M5
89' Supra Twin Turbo 1JZ (sold)

allencr
Club4AG Expert

Postby allencr » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:10 pm

Heat shield between the header & body!.
Gotta old license plate? ;)

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:22 am

^It doesn't really work. Read my post above.

The best solution for this problem is retaining the oem exhaust mainfold/dp with heat shields and not removing any sound deadening/insulation material.

MisterJerk
Club4AG Pro

Postby MisterJerk » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:07 pm

or getting a jdm right hand drive.. then the header can burn whoever is shotgun. lol

iggy1evin
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby iggy1evin » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:09 pm

at the moment look at getting it coated so i haven't drivin it in like a month still if I could help it I don't wanna remove the headers so I thought that I could just wrap it well best case I get a stock downpipe and it stops my burning issue (no rhds LOL)

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:00 pm

If the problem is caused by heat radiating from the exhaust tubing and heating the
floor, the best solution is to prevent radiant heat reaching the floor. Therefore, in order
of effectiveness, you have these possible solutions...
1. Reflective heat shield that allows airflow on both sides, mounted between the tube
and the floor. Either aluminum sheet or the reflective laminated insulation referenced above
stuck to the hot side of a sheetmetal shield.
2. Reflective laminate stuck to the floor.
3. Reflective laminate wrapped around the tube.
4. Ceramic coating exhaust tubing.
5. Heat resistant silver paint applied to tube and to underside of floor.
All the above will reduce the amount of heat reaching the floor, which is by far the best way
to reduce the floor temperature. Placing insulating materials, mats etc inside the car is a bit
like opening a window when the car gets too hot, instead of turning the heater down :)

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

tiprock
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby tiprock » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:19 pm

have u tried opening the vent that directs air to you feet?
zenki levin hatch
kouki trueno coupe

iggy1evin
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby iggy1evin » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:16 pm

[quote="jondee86"]If the problem is caused by heat radiating from the exhaust tubing and heating the
floor, the best solution is to prevent radiant heat reaching the floor. Therefore, in order
of effectiveness, you have these possible solutions...
1. Reflective heat shield that allows airflow on both sides, mounted between the tube
and the floor. Either aluminum sheet or the reflective laminated insulation referenced above
stuck to the hot side of a sheetmetal shield.
2. Reflective laminate stuck to the floor.
3. Reflective laminate wrapped around the tube.
4. Ceramic coating exhaust tubing.
5. Heat resistant silver paint applied to tube and to underside of floor.
All the above will reduce the amount of heat reaching the floor, which is by far the best way
to reduce the floor temperature. Placing insulating materials, mats etc inside the car is a bit
like opening a window when the car gets too hot, instead of turning the heater down :)

Cheers

This was the answer I was looking for very informative thanks jondee I have a good place to start For this problem