Spring rates for beginners

Anything about cars, as long as it's clean...
No offensive language, no profanity, no nudity, nothing that your mom will slap you for...
Be nice to others.
miswuevos
Club4AG Expert

Spring rates for beginners

Postby miswuevos » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:23 am

Hey guys, what are some good springs rates for someone looking to do some track events, me and my buddy were thinking of 8kg and 6kg( most common), but would it be too stiff for someone dailying the f... out of the car?

Deuce Cam

Re: Spring rates for beginners

Postby Deuce Cam » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:39 am

This is a very subjective thing. IMO, to answer your question directly - without considering other variables - I would say a 6k/4k setup might be a good compromise.

The below thread is a very good read although it may blow your mind. Take it with a grain of salt though because it's highly theoretical.
http://www.aeu86.org/viewtopic/ae86/p/125373

ae90tuner
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby ae90tuner » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:17 pm

6kg and 4kg might be ok with swaybars, i've riden in my buddy's car with 8kg and 6kg and feel its not bad at all. the important thing here is the damper. or you can go the spring/damper route with swaybars, i know from riding in my buddy's car that this setup is great for the street and passable at the track, but it will never have the roll resistance that a coilover spring system with the proper rates will have. at the end of the day its a compromise if its still a street car, but i'd look into it more and ride in different cars with different setups before i make a move, the last thing you want to have happen is picking a spring rate thats to stiff for you or one thats not stiff enough.

miswuevos
Club4AG Expert

Postby miswuevos » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:47 pm

That is a good idea, actually trying different suspension setups before making the final decision. I have acquired myself a pair of godspeed sway bars, and front upper strut bar. I am planning on doing some drifting and grip. Would anybody recommend me going with trds?

chemtrails
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby chemtrails » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:53 am

I have some front TRD springs for sale, 8K
Failure to follow these instructions can result in death, serious injury, or equipment damage.