We're back. Want to help talk some sense into me? f20c

Anything about cars, as long as it's clean...
No offensive language, no profanity, no nudity, nothing that your mom will slap you for...
Be nice to others.
claricAE86
Club4AG Regular

We're back. Want to help talk some sense into me? f20c

Postby claricAE86 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:44 am

Hey gang, long time member here. Good to see everything back up and running. I am highly saddened that so much info has been lost.

A little back story- had a few hondas in highschool and then fell into the ae86 world. I owned 2 GTS's in highschool and sold one to fund a gze swap on the better GTS. After 4 years of horrible ups and downs with shops (made the mistake of paying shops to do the work) the car was sold back to the original owner and I moved on to a Supra. I drove the supra for a while, traded for an is300 and then later sold that for an 04 STi.

Besides the corolla, I really did enjoy driving my STi. I eventually decided that insurance was too high and sold the STi for a civic and a 07 GSXR. I had a crap ton of issues with my civic so I decided to sell it and get backin an AE86. These old corollas have stolen my heart and I am constantly caught smiling while driving.

Right now I am daily driving an 84 SR5 with full GTS swap. He went the carb route to avoid doing the GTS wiring and that is what she is running on now. Besides leaking a little oil and me having ZERO knowledge of carbs the car runs very well. With our constant weather changes in OK and my lack of knowledge, I have been thinking of sticking a new motor in the corolla. I would like to be able to start the car in the morning and actually let it warm up before driving.

Over the past few months I have been riding my bike less and am now tempted to sell the GSXR to fund a f20c swap. I know me and my friends can do all of the grunt work and I have a few more knowledgable friends that can help with wiring. I know people like MR.John are making this swap easier with his mount kit and wiring options. After all the trouble with my GZE swap I am a little weary to get into another motorswap on the new car.

Is it insane to think I could basically DD a f20c corolla? I know the power is twice of stock but I am no stanger to high HP RWD cars. I would more than likely buy a cheap little accord or something to drive while doing the swap.

Deuce Cam

Re: We're back. Want to help talk some sense into me? f20c

Postby Deuce Cam » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:58 am

The thought of dd'ing a f20c corolla isn't crazy. The engines are reliable - it's a Honda after all. As long as the swap is done correctly and it's properly serviced you should be fine.

However, if emissions testing is required where you live the swap could be a BIG problem.

claricAE86
Club4AG Regular

Postby claricAE86 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:28 am

That is what I was thinking. I don't see why this would be a big issue and I like the idea of getting an f20 more than the idea of going 20v. I think with the help of a few buddies we could accomplish the swap in a professional manner for around 4k. I still owe a little on my bike so I will pay that off after taxes come back and sell to funds this f20c. I can never bring myself to sell another ae86 so making this thing as new and up-to date as possible will ensure I can enjoy for years to come. Not to mention I assume I could sell all my carbed 4ag and rear end pretty easily.

Here's what it would be going in.

Got some new wheels

carbd7age
Club4AG Pro

Postby carbd7age » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:04 pm

I already have a buyer for your carb setup lol. A buddy of mine in Atlantic is looking for that.
Eric'sFreeAE86 from the old site
Knockoff Crew member #0001

ronny
Club4AG Expert

Postby ronny » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:14 pm

i wouldnt do it..

i would just spend the money on completing the swap correctly and call it a day and drive it normally.

going with the F series is a great motor, however i just don think its worth it.

but the idea of driving a corolla with it daily isnt bad at all.. it would actually be pretty good.

for me, i just don think its worth the money.. i would buy a real s2000 instead.

any choice you make is good as long as your happy with it.. we just merely have opinions.
Rays - Project Mu - TE37 club
BLUE MOON / CUSCO
AE86fightclub.com
PM me for Contact

claricAE86
Club4AG Regular

Postby claricAE86 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:25 pm

Ronnie thanks for the input. What do you mean by complete the swap correctly and drive it normally?

The car runs a drives fine how it is. The motor however has unknown miles and I don't like the idea of trying to daily a carbed car, atleast not here in OK. If we had more consistant weather, my opinion would vary. I know you say it may not be worth it but to get an s2k I would have to get a loan or sell my corolla, I do not plan on doing either. I have driven multiple s2k's and owned quite a few fun cars, I have realized the only car I want to drive is an AE86. To me putting 4k into a car I plan to never sell isn't a bad idea at all. I would much rather have an f20c equipped coupe than an s2k. It will be lighter than an s2k and have two back seats as well.

I think I have pretty much talked myself into doing this during the summer. I have access to lifts and everything plus the swap has been done enough times that there is a good amount of info on the web. With mr.johns kits and engine prices going down it seems like a smart idea.

350nizmo
Club4AG Expert

Postby 350nizmo » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:14 pm

claricAE86 wrote:Ronnie thanks for the input. What do you mean by complete the swap correctly and drive it normally?

The car runs a drives fine how it is. The motor however has unknown miles and I don't like the idea of trying to daily a carbed car, atleast not here in OK. If we had more consistant weather, my opinion would vary. I know you say it may not be worth it but to get an s2k I would have to get a loan or sell my corolla, I do not plan on doing either. I have driven multiple s2k's and owned quite a few fun cars, I have realized the only car I want to drive is an AE86. To me putting 4k into a car I plan to never sell isn't a bad idea at all. I would much rather have an f20c equipped coupe than an s2k. It will be lighter than an s2k and have two back seats as well.

I think I have pretty much talked myself into doing this during the summer. I have access to lifts and everything plus the swap has been done enough times that there is a good amount of info on the web. With mr.johns kits and engine prices going down it seems like a smart idea.

/\
And you have a buyer for the carb setup as well.
let me know when your ready to sell the setup. i would really like to see if we can work something out.
email me at (350nizmo@gmail.com)

thanks
Roy
1986 Toyota Corolla AE86 Apex GT RHD (Garage Queen)
2007 Honda Fit Sport (Daily)

claricAE86
Club4AG Regular

Postby claricAE86 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:42 pm

I figured it wouldn't be hard to find them a good home. I have been pleasently suprised with the dellortos. I seriously hardly ever touch them and the car starts and drives fine everyday. Just takes some warm up time before idle as it gets colder. I'll let everyone know when I can start selling things. I'll need to sell my GSXR next month and get a little $500 beater car to drive while I swap the corolla. I am getting pretty excited thinking about this. I have always had so much love for corollas but have spent thousands of dollars rebuilding 4ages and trying to swap in a 4agze.

Luckily one of my best friends is also a die hard ae86 guy (actually sold me my last GTS) and while he doesn't own a corolla anymore, he loves to live vicariously through mine. He also happens to be very wrench friendly and a mechanical engineer so I plan to pay him some cash and booze to help me with wiring. I am also going down to san diego in the summer so a swing my JSP might be in order.

HASport AE86
Club4AG Expert

Postby HASport AE86 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:06 pm

I loved my F22C corolla. It's not bad to daily at all. It gets about the same gas mileage if not better than the 16v 4AG did. Just make sure you keep the OEM clutch, do not get a crazy performance clutch for it. Go for it.

*shameless plug- I do the wiring conversion for those, so yeah lmk*
SwangBiz Corolla Chassis Parts and F20/F22C/4AGE Wiring Services
(we build stuff, I solder wires, we race corollas, then we get drunk)

Proud Supporter of JSPfab.com, BattleGarage, and Solo8 LED Solutions

SuperDougy
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby SuperDougy » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:13 pm

I had an f22 in my Levin till I spun a bearing. It's easy to DD the f-series. The tranny is awesome. My only complaint is the cost of the engine and parts. I'm in the middle of dropping in a k24. Engine is cheaper, aftermarket parts are cheaper, better torque band and just as reliable. Plus the k-series is more available then the f-series so down the road part prices should not increase to much. The s2k will become a cult classic overtime pushing up the prices on the f20/22 and its parts. The K and f swap are very similar and any adapters have already been sorted by the s2k community. The only part that is not available is engine mounts. But this swap may be a bit more intimidating since only a few have done it and not much info has been provided. But all that said the guy who bought my 4ag rebuilt it and its seen more track and DD driving with less problems then my F22 Levin. :lol:
85 Levin GTS K24
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=709

claricAE86
Club4AG Regular

Postby claricAE86 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:48 am

Thanks for the replies fellas. I have decided to go ahead and go the f20 route. The k24 does sounds cool but my lack of fab skills make the f20 a far easier choice. With help from people like jsp and hasportae86, me and a few good wrenching buddies should be able to knock this out in a month or two. Like you said, the main kicker will be finding a decent deal on a complete motor and trans. I see them range from 2700-4400 .That's a pretty damn big difference and I'd like to keep it toward the first number rather than the second.

Honestly, if the guy had done a full gts swap, I would probably drive it like that for quite a while before changing. I won't lie, I'm not a fan of carbs, their cool, but not for me. I thought about getting all the items to make my bluetop fuel injected again but hate chasing down little fuel injected realted issues on those old parts (TPS sensors, etc..). Since the motor will eventually need a rebuild anyway, and would need to wire the whole car, I might as well put in a better motor and do a "one and done"

Toda R
Club4AG Regular

Postby Toda R » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:09 pm

HASport AE86 wrote:I loved my F22C corolla. It's not bad to daily at all. It gets about the same gas mileage if not better than the 16v 4AG did. Just make sure you keep the OEM clutch, do not get a crazy performance clutch for it. Go for it.

Agree'd I put a Exedy hyper single cause i got such a good deal on it. Biggest mistake other than that it's super easy to drive.

16v Justice
Club4AG Regular

Postby 16v Justice » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:50 am

I finished my F20 swap in my Corolla about a month ago and it's pretty fast. I had Dan do the wiring and used Johns mounting kit, so most of the fab was pre-done. As far as "should I do this swap", as long as you don't get discouraged easily and have twice the amount of money you expect your swap will take I say hell yes.
Rub a dub dub.
Cerebrum in a tub.

jinx
Club4AG Expert

Postby jinx » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:04 am

or maybe hang a t28 or t3 turbo from a stock 4age, plus a plug n play megasquirt from DIY with a "good tune".
Drive it with sense for now (if ya can restrain yourself), and worry about a W gearbox later.
A well tuned 4agte can range from 'silly quick to monster', and can do it relatively "quietly" for a daily.
Probably still come out substantially cheaper - dollar vs performance.
So there.... some "other" sense :)

FujiwaraEightSix
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby FujiwaraEightSix » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:35 pm

Get the F, you won't regret it. So fun!
-Rick Cunanan

chunks
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby chunks » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:37 pm

keep it 4ag. source the parts for fuel injection and with the $3000, buy another 4ag and rebuild it on the side.

i have thought about the f swap before but i just could never do it. i rather rebuild a nice 4ag which would be just as reliable when done right. but man 9k redline, 200 plus hp stock? ....man sounds good. but there aint no sound better than a 4ag coming close to 9,000 rpm.
welcome to club4ag, aka the playa haters ball!

claricAE86
Club4AG Regular

Postby claricAE86 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:52 am

I think your right Chunks, it seems crazy to pull out my 4age when I don't really "need" the power and if I ditch the carbs, it will be a little more friendly given our drastic climate changes. I would probably keep them if it didn't change from 70 to 32 over night without warning. Now to try and source all the GTS parts to completely finish the swap. Since 85% of the swap is done, I guess all I would need is the engine/dash and rear wiring harnesses, intake, afm, injectors, coil/ignitor and a new cluster. All the clutchline and disk brakes are already done and it already runs off an electric fuel pump.

An F20 seems like a great idea when I am further down the road. Right now it seems smarter to get the car running on a normal fuel injected healthy bluetop and work on suspension and exterior.

chemtrails
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby chemtrails » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:03 pm

I just waiting to blow to motor to do mine
Failure to follow these instructions can result in death, serious injury, or equipment damage.