Keeping it simple and stupid.

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Keeping it simple and stupid.

Postby Jayrdee » Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:13 pm

So ... while taking my Levin to the track is fun and all, I realized I would never feel comfortable enough to push the car/myself to the limit. Its basically a 2nd 401k at this point. Then again, its too fun to not take it to the track so I found a solution ...

... buy a 2nd one!

There's only one goal for this "2nd" corolla; SEAT TIME. Keep everything as simple as possible (and safe) so I can get as much seat time as possible. I initially was trying to find a shell or something and build it from scratch, but then I came across this one on facebook. It was too good of a deal to pass up. Its not perfect by any means, but all the good stuff is there. Healthy running 20v, welded roll cage, tube front, all the adjustable suspension bits, etc.

The wiring was an absolute nightmare, so I decided to rip everything out and start from scratch. One thing to note, I've never wired a car like this so it was all a huge learning curve.

The engine harness was just as bad as well. The car came running with a microsquirt but I upgraded to a Haltech 550 which I had purchased for my other car but never installed it. I also bought the BattleGarage universal 20v 4age harness. I initially bought their standard one, but I didn't realize it was designed for oem style setups and using the firewall connector. Luckily Grant was nice enough to let me exchange it.

Getting the car to run on the basemap was an experience as well. Aside from me winging it, having never messed with any sort of aftermarket ecu before, the car idled like total ass. Which was bizarre because it idled fine when I first bought it. I ended up sending it off to this guy Bradley Hackworth of SwapShopGarage here in KY (I was planning on having him tune the haltech to begin with) and turns out whoever setup the microsquirt before me took 2 teeth off the crank signal gear in the distributor. But took the teeth out opposite from eachother. Therefore the ecu was seeing TDC every 180 degrees and losing sync. Once that was figured out, they changed the trigger count to 12 and it ran like a champ! It ended up putting down 135hp at about 7600rpms.

Here is a video of it on the dyno:
https://youtu.be/Zel138ldKSE

And lastly here is the car in its current state!
I sold the pair or 15x9 rota wheels and put on my pair of 14x7 work equip meshes, traded some GTS fuel lines for replacement front fenders (only installed one), and slapped on a cheap duraflex goodline rep bumper.

For the interior, I installed some generic AutoMeter gauges and wired everything up to a switch panel and relay bank. Like the title of the thread, the goal was simplicity. I bought a Painless 6 bank relay kit (ended up only using 4) so everything has its own circuit. Ignition switch provides 12v power to the little fuse panel, which provides power to the ecu, gauges, and the switches for the other relays. The only things I wired up is the fuel pump, fan, and lights. All of which get their own switch and relay.

Next on the list is an alignment, fresh fluids, and doing something about the god awful exhaust!
[I have no idea what I'm doing]

davew7
Club4AG Expert

Re: Keeping it simple and stupid.

Postby davew7 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:06 am

Whooa!! That is really nice. The roll cage and front frame is outstanding. Do you know what the wt is down to?
Keep us up-dated.

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:26 am

davew7 wrote:Whooa!! That is really nice. The roll cage and front frame is outstanding. Do you know what the wt is down to?
Keep us up-dated.

What do you mean by "wt"?

davew7
Club4AG Expert

Postby davew7 » Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:43 am

The weight of the vehicle.

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:14 am

davew7 wrote:The weight of the vehicle.

Ahh! Duhhh. I have no idea, but it would be cool to know!

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:30 am

speaking to seat time..... I've been on track twice.... 3 times if you consider carts.

I get motion sick :oops:

I can build them, just can't take the g loads.....

best of luck in 2 things: 1) your seat time, and 2) keeping to your budget.
OST Cyl head porting, - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=300

Building a great engine takes knowing the end... before you begin :ugeek:

Enjoy Life... its the only one you get!

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:24 pm

After the tune I began driving it around town, slowly breaking the car in. I noticed the AFR values would sweep full rich to full lean, back and forth constantly, so much that you could literally feel the car bucking. This was only at partial throttle too. At idle or wide open throttle, the values would read pretty consistent.

After speaking to my tuner he recommended I ditch the AEM gauge and upgrade to a Haltech WB1. Got her wired up and working this weekend:

(pardon the mess, it looks worse than it actually is)

I also pretty much rewired the car last week over something totally stupid. The car began shorting out and shutting off anytime I actuated the clutch and/or throttle. I checked everything and couldn't find anything wrong. Turns out my starter was backing itself out, and anytime the engine/transmission shifted, the terminals on the starter would short out against the block. :roll:

I took that opportunity to make some slight changes to the wiring:
- Cleaned up some grounds
- Wired the ECU to its own switch/relay, put a 10amp fuse inline with it as well.
- Wired the switches for the fuel pump, fan, lights, and ECU in parallel, but put them in series with the main ignition switch.
I initially had everything tied to the fuse panel, which was controlled to by my main "ignition switch/relay".

Also got the alignment done and swapped the exhaust today. They found a TON of loose stuff. Control arms, caster arms, basically all bellhousing bolts were loose, etc. It was a miracle this thing didn't fall apart on my way there! They also found this, which was most likely caused by the loose bellhousing:

This is the passenger side of the engine block, where it mates to the transmission near the slave cylinder.

Not too sure what to do about it, but I'll figure something out Lol.

davew7
Club4AG Expert

Postby davew7 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:27 am

You will have to pull the engine so you can "V" notch both sides of the crack. Find a weld shop that does cast iron and has Nickelcast rod. Welding cast iron requires a very clean surface and pre-heating before welding. Do you have or are you using the engine to trans brackets that tie the engine block to the lower area of the bellhousing. If not, I would fabricate a bracket(s). If you use tubing for the brackets, you can save several pounds.

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:31 am

davew7 wrote:You will have to pull the engine so you can "V" notch both sides of the crack. Find a weld shop that does cast iron and has Nickelcast rod. Welding cast iron requires a very clean surface and pre-heating before welding. Do you have or are you using the engine to trans brackets that tie the engine block to the lower area of the bellhousing. If not, I would fabricate a bracket(s). If you use tubing for the brackets, you can save several pounds.

I'll have to look into that! Sounds like a good temporary solution until I go about either swapping blocks or paying someone to weld it back in place.

Corey20v
Club4AG Regular

Postby Corey20v » Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:46 pm

Weld it in place if that is one of the dowel pin points. (Assuming t50/4age have them)
Too high precision to weld off the car. Single side v notch and done
1986 SR5->20V ST (WIP!)
Other toys: 1993 S13 Coupe, 1993 NA6 Miata, 1996 Z32 300ZX

Corey20v
Club4AG Regular

Postby Corey20v » Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:47 pm

Weld it in place if that is one of the dowel pin points. (Assuming t50/4age have them)
Too high precision to weld off the car. Single side v notch and done
1986 SR5->20V ST (WIP!)
Other toys: 1993 S13 Coupe, 1993 NA6 Miata, 1996 Z32 300ZX

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:53 am

Well ... as we all know life happens and priorities shift, so I've decided to post up this car for sale. I have a wedding to pay for! (I still have my Levin though so its all good)

Here is the for sale ad on the forum:
https://www.club4ag.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=24145&p=141550#p141550

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:48 am

Aaaaannndd, its sold!

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:08 am

So, its been a while since I logged on here and I realized this was a sh*tty way to end a thread. The car didn't just sail away into the sunset ...

I ended up selling it to a good buddy of mine here at work. His name is Ryo, real big into drifting in Japan, and is working here in the USA for a year. We've gotten real close these past few months since we're the same age and have the same taste in motorsports. One of his bucket list items during his stay is to "drift in America", and thats what he is doing! I helped him sign up and tow the coupe to his first American drift event last month. In Japan, he drifts a boosted c33 Laurel, so low-hp corolla's are a new experience for him (including drifting LHD). He hopped in it, and immediately started shredding:

Although I wasn't the one driving, it was the coolest thing ever to see your hours of labor being put to good use. We ran into some minor issues throughout the day like the starter wire falling off, having to drain some of the transmission fluid out since it was over-filled, and the exhaust snapping in half. Eventually we ran into an issue of it losing fuel pressure and going into lean protection mode anytime it would get sideways which ultimately ended the day for us. But even then, I was fully anticipating something catastrophic happening so the fact that we made it through the day and nothing major broke, I consider that a big win.

(had to bring mine for moral support)

At first we thought it was a faulty fuel pressure regulator (it had an aftermarket tomei one installed when I got the car), so we swapped that out with the stock regulator but still got no fuel flow. He got a new fuel pump and when the tank was dropped, turns out the main fuel hose had come off the pump! Easy fix, just in time for the next event which is this weekend.

Since he has an apartment but no garage, I've been storing the car for him at a warehouse space I rent with some friends, which works out great because I get to see the car all the time! Or at least for another few months before it gets shipped back to Japan with him.

I told him his only rule with the car is to get featured in Drift Tengoku (popular magazine in Japan, which he was featured in not too long ago).

So, yeah ... keep it simple and stupid.

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:43 pm

It's always a little bit sad to let a car go when you have put your heart and soul into it for years.
Both of mine ended up in Australia so I don't even get to see them again. But I had my time with
them and needed to move on. Always wanted a V8 but had no interest in a luxo-barge version, so
had to take the plunge when the ISF came up at a good price.

I'm already researching and planning what modifications I need to get this car handling more like
an upmarket sports car and less like a brewers dray :lol: There is something very soothing about
a lazy V8, and with traffic policing getting tougher and tougher, it's nice to just cruise and enjoy
the drive.

If that's your wedding you are paying for... CONGRATULATIONS :D :D

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.