85 GTS coupe

hachigo87
Club4AG Enthusiast

85 GTS coupe

Postby hachigo87 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:06 pm

Well it's been a long road coming in my journey to finally have a GTS.

My first car in highschool was an 87 SR5 coupe, bone stock, family owned since new, autotragic trans and all. :x

Unfortunately after wrecking it and patching it together to be drivable again I sent it on its way.

After owning 2 MR2's, 2 MK3 Supras and a host of other random Toyotas I went back on the hunt for another AE86.

I came across an 85 SR5 coupe, came with a GTS lip, GTS front buckets and pizza cutters all around. Unfortunately it was a salvage title car so I wasn't able to put plates on it without getting a reconstructed title. Still overall not too bad of a car and I was finally on track to having another 86.

After buying a parts car and getting ready to put it under the knife this pops up on craigslist. The ad was short, had no pictures, said he was going to scrap it if he couldn't have it out of there within the next 2 days but the kicker was it was in Virginia Beach, almost 7 hours each way. I had a friend of mine call about it while I was in class and quickly called him back myself and told him I'd be down the next day with a truck and trailer.

Given this and a few other terrible pictures I figured I'd take my chances and jump on it. After leaving class at 1 and getting home at 4 in the morning I finally had a real GTS! All I knew is that the kid before me bought it 2 or 3 years prior but had no car knowledge, apparently very little on the AE86 at that, and that he had a friend look it over deeming it to have no compression.

After going through the whole car and the few boxes of spare parts thrown inside it things look better everywhere I turn. It's been repainted, has about 192,000 on it, but luckily for an east coast car looks to have very little rust! There's a few flaws in the interior and after taking a look into it someone had the engine apart before, all in all not bad at all! Besides a repaint, an old CD player and a chrome tip thrown on a stock looking muffler it was unmolested!
With a little more digging around it looks to be a factory LSD car as well, score again! The icing on the cake came when I was digging around underneath it I found the factory key zip tied to the back end with a house key! Sure beats just having the ilco copy that was sitting in the ignition.

I checked compression myself and yielded 0-30-0-0, depressing, but confusing. The engine spun over extremely easily and the head looked cleaned along with having new gaskets uptop. Digging a little deeper I realized the exhaust cam was upside down! So after putting the cam in correctly, triple checking the timing I gave it another try. Still no fire, but cylinder 1 already had a reading of 175, faith has been restored.
I was anticipating having to pull the motor, but luckily I still had some faith in the 4AG and I can't be happier. Unfortunately I've hit my first roadblock, but all things considered not a bad one.

The issue I'm sitting with now is while everything looks good upfront for now I'm not getting any power to the fuel pump, the fuel gauge on the dash has power but not the pump. I've already tried running a wire with straight power from the battery to the fuel pump, but still it doesn't kick on. I wouldn't put it past it for the wiring to be bad along with the pump, but it's making me wonder. Any thoughts or input are greatly appreciated! I'm planning on double checking the AFM wiring along with the relay behind the glovebox tonight, hopefully yielding some good news. Looking forward to be behind the wheel of another 4AG soon!
'85 GT-S coupe
'85 GT-S coupe - For sale!
'72 Datsun 240Z
'87 Mazda B2000
'02 Silverado Z71

FUNKMACH1NE
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: 85 GTS coupe

Postby FUNKMACH1NE » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:37 pm

Back in an AE86, huh. Cool shi+ man. Looking forward to seeing more progress.

hachigo87
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby hachigo87 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:44 pm

FUNKMACH1NE wrote:Back in an AE86, huh. Cool shi+ man. Looking forward to seeing more progress.

Yeah its about time. The Supra is fun but a money pit, the MR2s have the right heart but mine will always be with the 86 :roll:

Im just happy to get out of the SR5s and into a real GT-S finally, they're extinct out here so it seems.
'85 GT-S coupe
'72 Datsun 240Z
'87 Mazda B2000
'02 Silverado Z71

hachigo87
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby hachigo87 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:17 pm

Checked out everything one more time the other day and it's confirmed, time to replace the fuel pump. Ordered one the other day, should be here Wednesday and the car should be together by Thursday!
'85 GT-S coupe
'72 Datsun 240Z
'87 Mazda B2000
'02 Silverado Z71

hachigo87
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby hachigo87 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:32 am

Well my fuel pump finally came yesterday. Went out and put the car in the air and dropped the tank which went surprisingly well. I had a bad feeling when I was able to take all 3 lines off the tank by hand..

With the tank on the ground I notice right off the bat that the ground wire on the top of the pump hanger was super brittle and was broken off, the rest of which fell off as soon as I touched it. It got a little worse when I finally managed to pull the mess of an assembly out of the tank..
(Yes, that's bare wire just twisted together in the tank.. :? )

I don't even want to know the thought process behind this but I guess it's the price you pay to pick up a bone stock GTS on a deal huh? Anyhow, new Borg Warner pump installed, all the old riveted wires drilled out and redone, ground strap mounting location cleaned up and ready for reinstall!

Or is it..?

So today it looks like I'll be cleaning and rinsing out this mess the best I can for sake of my new fuel pump. Looks like there's a new fuel filter in my near future too.
'85 GT-S coupe
'72 Datsun 240Z
'87 Mazda B2000
'02 Silverado Z71

hachigo87
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby hachigo87 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:14 am

She's a runner once more!

Opened up my spare tank and it was almost perfect in comparison inside. So I swapped over the pump hanger and fuel level sender, hung the tank. With a little fine tuning to the dizzy she idles great and is very responsive! I must have the sender in the wrong way as it gave me a fuel reading in the old tank though.

Still needs a maintenance overhaul, fluids, tires, brakes, belts and a timing belt, but I've been looking forward to seeing this for a while:

After owning 2 SR5s and 2 AW11s I couldn't be happier with my GT-S. I haven't even driven one until now and its everything I thought it'd be and then some! Can't wait to get the preventative maintenance out of the way and deem her the new daily driver! Not to mention that the LSD still has some life left in it! :D
'85 GT-S coupe
'72 Datsun 240Z
'87 Mazda B2000
'02 Silverado Z71

hachigo87
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby hachigo87 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:02 am

Well I've been driving the car every day sorting out little issues as I go along.

My climate control is broken where the mode and temp sliders pivot in the unit so I flipped the heater valve up manually (blue cable) on the firewall, but I can't get the black cable to budge. Anyone know the purpose in this one? Because as of now im driving around in 30-40 degree temps with no heat..

Also, the car doesn't overheat, the needle sits right between the E and M of Temp on the gauge. However when i go to drain the rad only about a quart of coolant comes out. I just replaced the thermostat with one that stays open if it fails but the lower hose stays ice cold while the upper gets hot. Going to take the rad and thermostat out tomorrow, flush the block, the rad, heater core and probably replace the water pump with one off my spare block as it looks pretty new.

The car also doesnt like to idle unless at a complete stop. If you take it out of gear it will settle on 2,000rpm until you come to a complete stop, but even then it takes a whilw to drop, falling between 1,000 and 1,500rpm. I keep playing with the idle screw on the throttle body but its still wonky. The tach already has a delay in it (bad tach?) in which it'll pause while accelerateing then catch up to where it should all of a sudden..

Lastly, my new fuel pump has a death whine. It just started the other day and I'm worried its going to cut out on me. Last night it had a surging idle in rhythm with the pump. Bad pump maybe?

Heres a video from when I got home last night of the tach and fuel pump drone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxEH0iW ... ata_player
'85 GT-S coupe
'72 Datsun 240Z
'87 Mazda B2000
'02 Silverado Z71

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:11 pm

^There's a coolant drain on the block near the oil filter and oil pressure sender under the distributor.

hachigo87
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby hachigo87 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:13 pm

Deuce Cam wrote:^There's a coolant drain on the block near the oil filter and oil pressure sender under the distributor.

Good deal I'll be sure to take a look for it tomorrow
'85 GT-S coupe
'72 Datsun 240Z
'87 Mazda B2000
'02 Silverado Z71

ryanjayx
Club4AG Regular

Postby ryanjayx » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:25 pm

Just bought an 85 GTS as well, and tried to start it, but the pump was bad. Where did you get the Borg warner pump at? I was looking for a Walboro, because I'm going turbo, but I can only get universal ones for it.

hachigo87
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby hachigo87 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:43 am

Just as an update, unhooked the black cable as it was bound up at the heatercore to allow air to pass through it, flushed the coolant system out and now I have some heat but I'm thinking there's still an air pocket or two stuck in the system.

Fixed the fuel pump by replacing it with one out of my parts car and fixing a kink in the feed line on the tank. My idle was less sporadic but still high, the plug to the TPS is missing its retainer clip. But otherwise the car has been running and driving great. Might try to reset the computer and force it to relearn again now that all my issues are sorted.

ryanjayx wrote:Just bought an 85 GTS as well, and tried to start it, but the pump was bad. Where did you get the Borg warner pump at? I was looking for a Walboro, because I'm going turbo, but I can only get universal ones for it.

I actually got it off of RockAuto.com for something like $10 but I think they're sold out.
'85 GT-S coupe
'72 Datsun 240Z
'87 Mazda B2000
'02 Silverado Z71

hachigo87
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby hachigo87 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:58 pm

Been doing a lot of tinkering lately..

Still working on my heat issue, soon replacing the climate control and cables so I can eliminate that issue out of the equation. I had heat for a little bit earlier when I was pushing it hard, though it only really worked on the floor setting and was still temperamental. Overflow tank and overall system are low on coolant every few days, wondering if I have a leak or worse..

Besides that I've fixed a bunch of odds and ends, also fighting with not having wipers. Blew a 20A fuse, replaced it with a 30, holds so far, but washers only work, wipers don't even try, but turning the switch still puts load on the system as the idle changes when you leave the switch on any given setting. Hoping its just a worn out / locked up wiper motor?

Besides that, in better news. Put the old steelies aside for now and a friend loaned me a set of 280ZX 6 spokes he redid to run for now, probably going to hold onto them until I get a set of Celica Supras and then keep an eye out for something closer to 14x7 -0..

Also picked up some suspension on a deal which I'm pretty happy with. Tokico blue inserts in the front, Monroe Sensatrac Camaro shocks in the rear and a set of slightly cut ebay springs all around.

I also have a pair of blues for the rear. Going to run it like this for now until I find a nicer set of springs then change it up. But for now it looks a ton better and handling is night and day, yes even on cut springs. Still need bushings and a panhard bar to get rid of that rear end wiggle!

Before:

Currently:
'85 GT-S coupe
'72 Datsun 240Z
'87 Mazda B2000
'02 Silverado Z71

hachigo87
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby hachigo87 » Fri May 31, 2013 4:06 pm

Realized it's been a little while since I've made much of an update here but a lot has changed since March.. I'm not out of school and have some more free time finally. However, I recently had an accident with my truck and am unable to drive for the next month or so here :(

As far as the car is concerned, I got the wipers working, figured out the heat situation, replaced the exhaust, started to strip the paint on the lip..and blew a headgasket :x

The wipers turned out to be just a bad wiper motor, score for me there, or so I thought. I went to replace the motor and realized that the wiper arm linkage in my car was broken as well, so that was quickly replaced with the one out of my parts car and voila, working wipers.. how I never thought I'd say I missed you.

I've since purchased a replacement climate control with cables and need to replace it as everything was bound up in my system until I started working it back and forth by hand. It's now in the 90 degree temperature days so that isn't a top priority now as much as it was when I was driving throughout the winter with no heat.

The rotted exhaust finally came out in replacement for this no name setup paired with an RS*R GT-II catback section and a pair of twin tips welded onto the end. It's loud, with it only having a turned around glasspack dampening the sound, but I do have to admit it does sound good.. I'll have to work on quieting that up down the road here soon before it gives me more grief then pleasure.. The install went without much of a hitch, minus the fact that it smacks the power steering rack as most manifolds built for our cars do, but it hasn't really given me much of a hassle. Spring fittings out back made for a quick install and even quicker removal recently when I tore the car down for the blown headgasket..

All in all it sounds great, be it a bit loud, doesn't look too shabby for the price.. so I can't really complain. It'll do for now until something better comes along, what's a college student to do right?
'85 GT-S coupe
'72 Datsun 240Z
'87 Mazda B2000
'02 Silverado Z71

hachigo87
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby hachigo87 » Fri May 31, 2013 4:19 pm

So life hadn't been too bad, minus a few reoccurring issues, I love the car and can't get enough of it.

Unfortunately, two of the biggest problems yet were about to hit and take me off the road for a little while here. One being a leaking gas tank and the other the inevitable blown headgasket. The tank I had decided to use given its cleaner internals from my parts car apparently has a crack somewhere on the outer shell up top and when topped off likes to just pour fuel out the back, not a great combination. I promptly took the original tank from the car to a local shop, had it steamed out and it sits in the garage awaiting re-installation. While that was an easy fix the car has unfortunately sat dormant for the last month given its mechanical failure.

Doomsday:

Dropped $20 on a can of SEM Bumper Stripper, which works quite well actually, in hopes of trying to restore the factory 2-tone ground effects. Soon afterward on my way home from school I was presented with a steam show, pegged temp gauge and it was all downhill from there. Literally, which helped because I was able to limp it to a friend's garage just down the road and let it sit for a few days. Turned out I threw the alternator & water pump belt and air cooling wasn't enough on that day.

I replaced the belt and drove it for a day or two, all actually seemed well, but soon again the same problem happened and I knew it was toast this time. So much for thinking I got off lucky huh?

So the top end has been torn down, head sent off for machine work, parts ordered and I've been playing the waiting game.

Oh yeah, I found this gem when the car was in the garage on jackstands and I decided to take the front wheels into work to mount some better tires then the slicks I'd be running around on. This is why I'm not a fan of cut lowering springs. Guess this explains that rubbing sound I'd been hearing every so often, that is, the spring against the inside lip of the rim :oops:

Not much has changed since, everything has since showed up and is ready for installation as soon as I'm ready to be able to drive back up the garage and work again..thanks a lot karma.

In other news, a few days before my incident I did manage to pick up a few other unrelated upgrades for the coupe:

A cheap spraybombed trunk lid to replace the dented one with the oh-so-classy trunk rack that came with my car. Also, a set of kouki seats all around which match rather well with the factory zenki 2-tone. The fabric is nicer and the tops of the rear headrests aren't all torn up & duct tape repaired as my old set was. These could use a good scrubbing, but for the price I couldn't be happier. I'll touch base next status update, hopefully I make a quick recovery and can bust out this project in a night or two in order to get her back on the road once more!
'85 GT-S coupe
'72 Datsun 240Z
'87 Mazda B2000
'02 Silverado Z71

Elvin Wes
Club4AG Expert

Postby Elvin Wes » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:49 am

yummm =)

hachigo87
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby hachigo87 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:56 am

Elvin Wes wrote:yummm =)

Hahaha! Thanks Elvin.
'85 GT-S coupe
'72 Datsun 240Z
'87 Mazda B2000
'02 Silverado Z71

HingaSPL
Club4AG Expert

Postby HingaSPL » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:37 pm

That trunk rack is crazy. Wonder if that was an option offered here in Japan too. I've never seen one over here

hachigo87
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby hachigo87 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:49 pm

HingaSPL wrote:That trunk rack is crazy. Wonder if that was an option offered here in Japan too. I've never seen one over here

Could be aftermarket. I'll have to take it off one day and look for markings on the backsides of the rails I guess.
'85 GT-S coupe
'72 Datsun 240Z
'87 Mazda B2000
'02 Silverado Z71

hachigo87
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby hachigo87 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:03 pm

Been a while since I've updated here. Everyone likes pictures right? I may have gotten a bit carried away, but its been a while so...enjoy.
In the last month I've gotten the head back from the machinist, gotten the car back together, worked out a few kinks along the way and promptly pulled the motor out due to an oil leak because of a simple mistake on my behalf. Note to self: never forget the washers under the headbolts. I've been having a bad oil leak problem from the headgasket of all things, so I got fed up and just pulled the engine out in favor of a spare I have sitting around.

Reference thread about said problem:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7491

Car as it sat with the leaky headgasket:

Back to disassembly:

Success! My first pulled motor in fact, 4AGE simplicity ftw!

The spare engine before and after cleanup, currently waiting on the gasket kit to show up at my front door

How she sits as of tonight, cleaned up the engine bay again and pulled the steering rack out

Last but not least, the 'new to me' MR2 rack waiting on new tie rods and my T3 bushing to be installed. Also, not seen in this picture, my new AW11 distributor to replace my old hardwired and heatshield-less stock unit :)

Looks like the parts should all be here by this weekend so hopefully by Sunday I can have some real progress made and maybe get this back on the road again shortly after. Stay tuned!
'85 GT-S coupe
'72 Datsun 240Z
'87 Mazda B2000
'02 Silverado Z71

yellowsnow4free
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby yellowsnow4free » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:27 pm

hachigo87 wrote:Image

Wow hachigo87, I really like your car! :D

Quick question: what rims are those; they look great!

I'm glad to see you're fixing your car up nicely :)

Keep up the good work!

hachigo87
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby hachigo87 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:09 am

yellowsnow4free wrote:
hachigo87 wrote:Image

Wow hachigo87, I really like your car! :D

Quick question: what rims are those; they look great!

I'm glad to see you're fixing your car up nicely :)

Keep up the good work!

Thanks yellowsnow! They're actually 280ZX wheels with painted centers and polished lips. They're on loan from a friend until I get a nicer set, but they look pretty good for now.
'85 GT-S coupe
'72 Datsun 240Z
'87 Mazda B2000
'02 Silverado Z71

yellowsnow4free
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby yellowsnow4free » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:36 pm

hachigo87 wrote:Thanks yellowsnow! They're actually 280ZX wheels with painted centers and polished lips. They're on loan from a friend until I get a nicer set, but they look pretty good for now.

Thanks for the prompt reply hachigo87!

It's funny, not long after asking what rims you have on your car I remembered "They might be Datsun / Nissan rims"; I've asked people with the same rims this question before :P

hachigo87
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby hachigo87 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:55 pm

yellowsnow4free wrote:
hachigo87 wrote:Thanks yellowsnow! They're actually 280ZX wheels with painted centers and polished lips. They're on loan from a friend until I get a nicer set, but they look pretty good for now.

Thanks for the prompt reply hachigo87!

It's funny, not long after asking what rims you have on your car I remembered "They might be Datsun / Nissan rims"; I've asked people with the same rims this question before :P

I actually have people ask me all the time what they are believe it or not. They're actually on loan from a friend of mine who used to have them on his 510 wagon. I'm going to end up buying a set of Supras in the near future and I also have a set of meshies I have to go pick up that'll go on sometime soon. The car hasn't been driven daily in months however so I'm a bit more concerned with just driving it again at this point haha.
'85 GT-S coupe
'72 Datsun 240Z
'87 Mazda B2000
'02 Silverado Z71