Project Yukikaze

.TRD.TRUENO.
Club4AG Regular

Project Yukikaze

Postby .TRD.TRUENO. » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:54 am

Hi Club4ag,

On this fine 8/6 Day I thought I'd finally introduce myself here. I'm Hosen from Hong Kong and I'm currently based in the NY area. I've been a lurker here for about 4 years going through all the technical threads, taking mental notes of the cars that come in and out of the classifieds, and gaining inspirations from build threads. It was about last summer when I began my "hunt" for a car, and 8 months later on May 2014, I struck gold. And here begins the story of my first ae86.

Meet Yukikaze,
The name was given by the previous owner(best seller ever!). The name stands for "Snow wind" in Japanese (cause it's white) and I decided to stick with it.
This is actually my first car, and many would find this rather ambitious. Everyone I knew, couldn't understand why I would buy such an old car except for one person. That person happens to be my close friend who studies in Miami and who I owe the everything to.
8 Months had past, and I couldn't find the right car to shoot for. It just so happened that when I thought of this very friend, I curiously checked out Craigslist Miami and stumbled upon Yuki. The ad post had only been up for a couple hours! I was a bit hesitant at first and thought "could I?" but a couple messages to the owner and my friend, and I found myself on a flight to Miami that weekend.
My friend,(just gonna call him KB) picked me up from the airport in his killer E90 M3 and we went to check out the car early the next day. We pull up to car under a car cover with a boxy shape and met the owner. He quickly showed me round the car and took me for a spin. I'll be honest, I was kinda terrified in the passenger seat. On the highway, the 4ag screamed like a N2 racer and the coilovers were set to the stiffest so it was bumpy as f***. but, I was sold. :D
The keys were traded for $5k and we spent the whole day driving. It also began to rain... Perfect! :lol:
I was kinda worried when I first got into the driver seat, but once the rain fell and after letting the tail loose, I was in love.
I have had the opportunity to drive many performance cars in the past ranging from KB's M3 to a 2012 GTR, but the ae86 is the only thing that gives me de javu from my karting days.
Miami's about 85-90 degrees with the humidity of the scale. "Hows the lack of A/C?" KB asked as I climb out drenched with a huge smile on my face.
Day light was about to go and I had to catch a flight back to NY. I handed the keys to KB who would ship the car all the way up. I did consider driving, but I didn't want to risk it...
These are the photos KB sent to me while I waited eagerly for her to arrive.

.TRD.TRUENO.
Club4AG Regular

Re: Project Yukikaze

Postby .TRD.TRUENO. » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:27 am

Time for some specs and issues before I touch anything!

These are off the top of my head.

Body
1985 Corolla GTS non sunroof
Original color was red
Only rust I could find was a hole in the hatch. That's about it.. rear pockets are rock solid.
Random body kit made for a Levin but retro fitted to the popp-ups :lol:
Oh and the retractors are indeed not working. :cry:
Wheels are xxr 537 15x8
Whiteline rear tail lights.

Engine and drivetrain
swapped 7 rib large port 4age
3-puck stage 3 Clutch
Not really sure what the exhaust is... it is loud. Done.
stock t-50 (no grinds 8-) ) with a T3 short shifter
Welded Diff

Suspension
Front T3 coilovers
Rear QA1 coilovers :shock:
full poly bushings in the front with solid metal in the rear
T3 tie rods with crazy lock and angle

Interior
Full interior put together with black dash and console parts with SR5 seats
cruise control delete
a red Sparco bucket (pretty banged up)
cracked dash with a horn in place of an air vent
and a Nardi that I assume is fake.. I was told not.

What is the goal of the project?

The previous owner probably wanted a N2 racer. (he stripped the interior at one point) But what I'm looking for is something leaning towards Keichi Tsuchiya's personal Trueno. A car that could rip through the Gunsai Touge and hop onto 2 wheels over a circuit curb at full throttle while retaining rear seats and a full interior without a cage....
I'm looking to build something relativity reliable to drive around and take to autocross during the weekends. A "Daily drifter" as I would like to call it.
I want to make something that could be on par or better than this Impulse Trueno.
Ambitious? Possibly improbable? Well keep a look out for this build log and hang tight. ;)

.TRD.TRUENO.
Club4AG Regular

Postby .TRD.TRUENO. » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:01 am

Here she is arrived at her new home. I decided to keep her at my aunt's place.. Manhattan parking... No thank you... Plus I need a driveway to work on the car.
Another reason why I chose to park it there is because my cousin lives there too.
And this is my Cousin's FR-S ;)

LONG LIVE THE 86!

First order of business is a full service of Oil, plugs, water, and brakes. I also hand cranked the lights down to check the fitment.
So far so good.
I also bought a set of Konig rewinds from the previous owner. they fit in the back with the seats up! :D
For some reason... I didn't notice this earlier...
Luckily I'm the guy that orders a Nardi even before finding a car :lol:
Much better
Deep dish 350mm. Splendid 8-)
At this point, I felt really accomplished and thought I could remove the tint on the door windows on my own....
And failed.... Decided not to drive, locked the doors, and walked a couple blocks to the hardware store (too embarrassed to drive lol)
Picked up a heat gun and a razor scraping thing to do the job properly
Took much longer to fix the mess rather than doing it properly in the first place... (learning process)

Here's some pictures of the interior.
Oh yeah forgot to mention. It also has it's battery relocated to the rear with Li-po battery. Sweet!

.TRD.TRUENO.
Club4AG Regular

Postby .TRD.TRUENO. » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:28 am

After sorting out registration and driving around for a week, I realized the first thing people ask when they walk up is "You race/drift?" :lol:
Time for some rants!
3-puck clutch is waaayyy too heavy and catches too hard for "normal driving". Don't get me wrong its, its great for hooning, but it's just too much as a whole.
After filling up a couple times, I realized the gas gauge lies... or is just slow. And when I entered a tunnel, I realized how obnoxiously loud the exhaust is.
And the speedo doesn't work.

So ordered an exedy stage one clutch, HKS sport exhaust, and a new speedo gear. I took it to the shop to get the stuff done. At this point, I still don't have all the tools and my money is prioritized on parts.
Here she is back from the shop with that new exhaust :D much smaller lol
These are also the photos of her before she heads to paint!
the current paint job is the infamous Maaco paint... nuff said.
So at this point in time, she's still at the paint shop.

Stay tuned for paint updates!

.TRD.TRUENO.
Club4AG Regular

Postby .TRD.TRUENO. » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:11 am

So for the past month while the car's at the body shop, I had to traveled back to Hong Kong to visit family. Now I'm eagerly awaiting to arrive back state side to go see the progress on the car!
While waiting, I drew up this concept sketch of how I wanted the completed work to turn out!
Hope you guys like it as much as I do!

idreamofdrifting
Club4AG MASTER

Postby idreamofdrifting » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:51 am

.TRD.TRUENO. wrote:So for the past month while the car's at the body shop, I had to traveled back to Hong Kong to visit family. Now I'm eagerly awaiting to arrive back state side to go see the progress on the car!
While waiting, I drew up this concept sketch of how I wanted the completed work to turn out!
Hope you guys like it as much as I do!

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

We're all happy for you! You already know there's a wealth of AE86 knowledge here.
Keep us updated on your new love.

One of these days when I finally travel to Hong Kong, I will hit you up brother lol!
Been a fan of Asian Cinema for decades, and old school Hong Kong action cinema is my favorite.
I would love to stroll and travel the streets and see that giant Buddha, and that famous downtown skyline.

.TRD.TRUENO.
Club4AG Regular

Postby .TRD.TRUENO. » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:49 am

idreamofdrifting wrote:

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

We're all happy for you! You already know there's a wealth of AE86 knowledge here.
Keep us updated on your new love.

One of these days when I finally travel to Hong Kong, I will hit you up brother lol!
Been a fan of Asian Cinema for decades, and old school Hong Kong action cinema is my favorite.
I would love to stroll and travel the streets and see that giant Buddha, and that famous downtown skyline.

Thanks man! Really appreciate everything this site and it's community has done for me!

Also, another thing you may want to add to your list is to check out HK's "pandas"
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10 ... =2&theater ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noUtoqRykIk
They're kind of a close-knit group and somewhat secretive on info. Sadly, I'm not a part of it.... yet.

idreamofdrifting
Club4AG MASTER

Postby idreamofdrifting » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:22 pm

I see, looks like theyre kinda group that does touge every tues nightly. very cool!
I'm sure you'll meet up with those 86 guys soon.

marley4us
Club4AG Expert

Postby marley4us » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:25 pm

Sweet ride man, keep on posting I wanna see more!!!
1985 Corolla Hatch widebody w/ SR20det (The Project)
1993 5SGTE stroker widebody MR2 Turbo (drag car)
2002 Miata SE hardtop (daily Driver)
1994 4runner (The truck)

.TRD.TRUENO.
Club4AG Regular

Postby .TRD.TRUENO. » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:22 pm

Update end of August.

Just landed back in NY after pretty long vacation. And I come back to a whole load of packages :)
Better than Christmas! So whats inside?
Ooooh yes. The goods. "Over night from Japan" ;)
Just a shout out to Torparts, K1 Motorsport, and Random Ebay vendors! :D
Headed to the paint shop to check up on how is coming along.
Good to see the parts arrived there safe as well.
Prep work coming along.
Eagle eye'd readers would have spotted the rear bumper being observed behind, as well as the TRD style wing placed aside.
Dusty but new Seibon hatch. Great fitment!
Also, no rear side blinker! I made sure to tap round the different areas to listen if the filler was getting too thick.But seemed good to me!
With the skirt and bumpers off, got a good look underneath. Turns out she's riding on T3 NCRCAs which explains the great looking stance.
But they gotta go in order to safely clear the Kouki bumper.
Pretty dusty. But next up would be interior work. But all that for later!
Next up I guess would be the paint reveal! Stay tuned! (another couple of weeks)

.TRD.TRUENO.
Club4AG Regular

Postby .TRD.TRUENO. » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:25 pm

Since I have nothing better to do, I decided to dig up some old photos from the previous owner's FB
2008 Nice and fresh!
Paint looks nice. But I guess 6 years is enough for the clear to fade.
With 86's legendary potential, I'm glad she was driven to the max!
Just be somewhat careful though...
Still epic
Explains why most of the retractor harness is missing.
I wonder what happened to this bumper? :lol:
The pad lock also explains the missing hood release..

.TRD.TRUENO.
Club4AG Regular

Postby .TRD.TRUENO. » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:33 pm

Duck tail spoiler molded in!
Riveted on then filled over
A good angle. I can still place the ramen that I'm going to be living off from for the next couple of years there.
I'll be honest. I was skeptical at first, but after seeing this view from this position, this was the right choice.
Also got to slap on the Seibon Carbon hood (dusty). How is it?
Well I'm not happy here... The fitment gap round the lights are horrible... :(
Its not the lights. They were perfect with the previous hood.
If you noticed the filler on the right top corner. Yes, it was slightly damaged in shipping. But that didn't bother me.
I just thought Seibon's parts were top notch with bolt on fitment.

hachirokufan
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby hachirokufan » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:38 pm

You're a lot nicer than I wouldve been if I'd shown up and the body shop did nothing to protect the interior!!! Build is looking good though!!

.TRD.TRUENO.
Club4AG Regular

Postby .TRD.TRUENO. » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:23 pm

hachirokufan wrote:You're a lot nicer than I wouldve been if I'd shown up and the body shop did nothing to protect the interior!!! Build is looking good though!!

Haha yeah I was stunned at first. But I figured I had yet to rug doctor(steam vac) it down. Plus I've got interior plans ;)
Stay tuned!

.TRD.TRUENO.
Club4AG Regular

Postby .TRD.TRUENO. » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:29 pm

So a lot has happened in the past month.
Primer
Test fit bumper
Engine bay shiny
ITS SO SHINY
Ok enough fun, time to put your clothes back on.
Suns out
Dat ass
New glass :o
Original one cracked when coming out. Freaking out*
Glass dude says he can get new ones.
Me~ "Really is that possible?"
Glass dude~ "We Puerto-rican's love these things"
waw.
"High Octane please."
Dat ass x2
Was posted on the FB page.
Yes, it looked like a track dominating monster back in the state I got it.
But, now it's a head turner.
People before would ask me: "You race/drift brah?"
Now I get responses like: "She's gorgeous! Looks real nice!"
Either way, this thing brings me smiles!

TORPARTS
Club4AG Expert

Postby TORPARTS » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:11 pm

People must ask u you must get fine pusi driving that hachiroku?

Duma approved!
http://www.torparts.com
WORLD LEADER IN REPRODUCTION, OEM AND JDM PARTS.
US Veteran owned.....and medical recipient and food stamps...I love Obama!

mideng
Club4AG Expert

Postby mideng » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:56 pm

you must get mad pussy for days.....your hatch is off the hook! keep it up!