aceforever's panda build log

aceforever
Club4AG Pro

Re: aceforever's panda build log

Postby aceforever » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:06 pm

Power locks

The Celica GTS master switch assembly has a door lock switch. I was planning to make full use of it, with a twist. I wanted wireless remote capability too.

Now, there's a TON of options on Amazon. So I picked the one that had the most OEM looking remote, and had flashers. I ended up getting one where you had to buy your own lock actuators, but I was willing to do that for the remote.

When I got the lock module, I noticed that it actually didn't support an input for the master switch assembly. Drats! I cracked open the module and found the relays responsible for lock/unlocking and soldered in my own wires.

Here's me testing it all.

JDM20VAE101
Club4AG Expert

Postby JDM20VAE101 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:58 am

Great with Full Power options on a car like that!

I like it!
Ivan's 4AGE BT 20V 6Spd LSD Build Thread
Just Scroll Down & Enjoy!
http://www.club4ag.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4529
Thanks For Looking! :D

grappletech
Club4AG Expert

Postby grappletech » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:29 pm

Thats pretty legit lol
87 GTS Coupe stock and Super Duper Clean
87 GTS Coupe Beams 3sge (under construction cuz I'm slow and lazy and broke-FML)
87 SR5 Coupe Shell. (Sold)
86 SR5 Hatch Shell
86 GT-SR5 Coupe 20v Swap

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:37 pm

Nice build man, I miss the PNW. I lived in Beaverton in the Portland area for a year.

May I ask what your background is in mechanics/electronics? You seem to be comfortable with electrical work so I'm guessing prior service, EE/ME student, or tech? :P

If I could ask about the window regulators, do you know if they actually came from an AE88? or did it come from a Celica? I know you said the switches are Celica, but I'm wondering about the regulators.

I too have plans for power locks, windows, and possibly keyless, and probably would go the China/Amazon route as well; however I've seen multiple power window conversions where the window glass does NOT go all the way down (so you can rest your arm on the top of the door card). I do believe this is when using Celica regulators, but Is this the case with your regulators?

Nice build, any interior shots?
Success guardian... Successsssssss..

aceforever
Club4AG Pro

Postby aceforever » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:08 pm

Sorry guys! Been on vacation, actually still on vacation. :) 5 points to whoever guesses the right place first.

Ironically enough, saw on of these on the streets. Which prompted me to check the build thread.

---

JDM20VAE101 wrote:Great with Full Power options on a car like that!

I like it!

Thanks man! Hope to not disappoint!

grappletech wrote:Thats pretty legit lol

Hahah thanks man! :) I love your BEAMS build too!

CloudStrife wrote:Nice build man, I miss the PNW. I lived in Beaverton in the Portland area for a year.

Aww, I just went to the Portland area, with a few folks. It's a great scene! Where do you live now?

CloudStrife wrote:May I ask what your background is in mechanics/electronics? You seem to be comfortable with electrical work so I'm guessing prior service, EE/ME student, or tech? :P

I took physics during high school that had some taught P=IV, does that count? To be honest, I don't remember much at all. I learned everything by treating electricity like plumbing since that makes sense to me. I do work as a software engineer.

CloudStrife wrote:If I could ask about the window regulators, do you know if they actually came from an AE88? or did it come from a Celica? I know you said the switches are Celica, but I'm wondering about the regulators.

They are indeed from an AE88.

Part numbers:
85710-12050
85720-12050

CloudStrife wrote:I too have plans for power locks, windows, and possibly keyless, and probably would go the China/Amazon route as well; however I've seen multiple power window conversions where the window glass does NOT go all the way down (so you can rest your arm on the top of the door card). I do believe this is when using Celica regulators, but Is this the case with your regulators?

I haven't fitted the regulators into the car yet. I really need to do that but I haven't done it before, so hopefully I can find instructions online or see if I can figure it out :)

CloudStrife wrote:Nice build, any interior shots?

Haha the interior is still a work in progress.

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:58 am

You clown, That is a wonderful interior! Most of these cars are strictly track/gutted, so it's nice to see another mostly full interior (I believe I saw in a partially revealed interior shot you don't have rear plastics :P).

I was a technician in the military, and you are correct in treating electricity like plumbing, it's the same principle and the type of thought process that really helped me understand current flow. Obviously when you start getting into processors, capacitors, resistors, transistors, inducers, etc. the rules become different, but 80's technology is so basic!

I live in Florida right now which I strongly detest, very culturally stale but it's my native state. I probably will end up in Bellingham once the GTS gets sorted for a cross-country trip.

I hope your regulators work out, and don't forget to post detailed instructions so I don't have to search :P

aceforever
Club4AG Pro

Postby aceforever » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:24 pm

CloudStrife wrote:You clown, That is a wonderful interior! Most of these cars are strictly track/gutted, so it's nice to see another mostly full interior (I believe I saw in a partially revealed interior shot you don't have rear plastics :P).

Hahaha thanks! That must have been when I was derusting the thing. I've since then put most of the parts back on. Found some bits (dark blue) to fill in the bits I don't have. I'll take a shot sometime of the rear to show the progress there.

CloudStrife wrote:I was a technician in the military, and you are correct in treating electricity like plumbing, it's the same principle and the type of thought process that really helped me understand current flow. Obviously when you start getting into processors, capacitors, resistors, transistors, inducers, etc. the rules become different, but 80's technology is so basic!

That's so awesome! You must know a lot more than me! I'm just glad I can fix things here and there :)

CloudStrife wrote:I live in Florida right now which I strongly detest, very culturally stale but it's my native state. I probably will end up in Bellingham once the GTS gets sorted for a cross-country trip.

Let me know when it's closer to that time. I'd be happy to meet up :D

CloudStrife wrote:I hope your regulators work out, and don't forget to post detailed instructions so I don't have to search :P

Hahaha. Of course. I'll go into boring detail just for you. Perhaps it'll help someone else too :)

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:55 pm

Of course! I'm signing up for my last online class to get my AA in Gen. studies, and I live on a month to month lease so it's all up to the Yota :P

How are you feeling about cruise control? I got bored at the JY the other day and pulled an entire cruise system out of an AE92 wagon sans the computer and the control module. I'm thinking it should be the same...

I'm waiting for that Dori kid to sell a complete system for pennies for the "weight reduction" :D

aceforever
Club4AG Pro

Postby aceforever » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:01 pm

CloudStrife wrote:Of course! I'm signing up for my last online class to get my AA in Gen. studies, and I live on a month to month lease so it's all up to the Yota :P

Nice! Keep at it man!

CloudStrife wrote:How are you feeling about cruise control? I got bored at the JY the other day and pulled an entire cruise system out of an AE92 wagon sans the computer and the control module. I'm thinking it should be the same...

I'm waiting for that Dori kid to sell a complete system for pennies for the "weight reduction" :D

Oh man, that's pretty interesting! I wonder how those old CC units work. I don't have any experience with it but I assume they have an input for speed + rpm for throttle control right? I'm super curious :D

aceforever
Club4AG Pro

Postby aceforever » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:18 pm

Suspension issues fixed!

I just could not figure out what made my camber settings polar opposites to get same camber on the wheels. One of my friends around here noticed a bent tension rod. I quickly replaced that with a BattleGarage unit. I also took the Battle Garage NCRCA's out since I only drive this car on the streets. That got me from -4.7 to about -2.5 camber. But the camber plates were still in really odd settings.

The suspension parts seemed fine. I measured the length of all the components and they seemed pretty close. The tension rods were at different lengths however. The car was a bit uneven in ride height so I think it was to get the caster the same. When I got it aligned at a local Firestone the shop foreman said it's probably frame damage. This lead me down a gigantic goose chase. Called a bunch of frame shops and body shops most of them would not work on a car older than 10 years old. Or they would say they worked on it and bring it down, only to say they're "not interested in working on the car".

I finally took it a specialty alignment shop. They charged a bunch of money, but they solved all my issues! Turns out my crossmember was not centered. Thinking back, someone did mention about the crossmembers having some adjustment back on my old thread. The shop also reindexed the shocks too to get a final reading of -.5 camber.

Here's the camber plate settings again, before and after:

Corner balance, before and after: (with a 140lb weight in driver seat, toolbox and socket kit behind passenger seat)

Alignment specs, before readings were after corner balancing

Super happy with the results.

Upcoming tasks

The transmission synchros seemed to be less happy going from 1st to 2nd given the cold weather here. I think it's due to the Motul 300V GL-4/GL-5 75W90. I've been reading a few articles here and there and it seems that I should not be running a GL-4/GL-5 on a GL-4. Some folks say GM Synchromesh works well, but reading about it more it seems like the oil rating is actually close to 75W80, much thinner than the manual spec. Just bought a few quarts of 80W90 conventional GL-4 from Brad Penn. Will be putting that in as soon as it comes. Some runner ups I was also considering that were synthetic options were Redline MT90 GL-4 75W90, Amsoil MTG GL-4 75W90.

The popup headlights are hitting the hood on the driver side. Need to enlarge some of the holes to be able adjust them more.

The DIY headlight enclosure is fogging a bit, going to drill some holes on top and put goretex patches on them to vent them better.

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:58 pm

Man, that is a shame to hear that they wouldn't work on a car older than 10 years.

I got a quote to fix nasty front end (including radiator support and frame damage) collision damage for around 250.00.

Some shops are just little princess fairies and don't like to work on older cars, but I would laugh if they told me that. Older cars are even easier to work on!

I've found it's good to go to a shop that only specializes in alignments. They will always have a rack, and they'll do the oldest, custom job you can think of.

Super stoked for your perfect alignment! That is my next task after refreshing the suspension and possibly the drivetrain.

A good shop gives you a print out, and even better shop gives it in color :P

I know you probably don't like mentioning it, but what was it all said and done? and the corner balancing?

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:01 pm

And on the oil, I have heard great things from the Miata guys about Redline, they like that more so than synchromesh.

Me personally, I don't like special ordering gear oil. If they don't stock it at Autoz/Oreily/etc., I usually won't get it.

I have used Mobile 1; I think it's the "high mileage" brand? And I believe I go a bit higher, as in Florida you can get as thin of a viscosity as you please :)

When was the last time you did tranny fluid?

aceforever
Club4AG Pro

Postby aceforever » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:15 pm

Oh man, good luck with your repairs. Hope everything goes well there!

I'm pretty happy with the new alignment. It's about time this car handled better!

I changed the fluids pretty recently, like a year ago? But it was the GL-4/GL-5 stuff. I think it's not as great for the synchros so I decided it's time for a change!

aceforever
Club4AG Pro

Postby aceforever » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:18 pm

Added a vent at the top of the headlight housing and stuck a goretex patch so the housing could breathe.

Also started on adjusting the popup headlights while the headlights were out. I basically needed to enlarge holes so that I can adjust the covers better.

I have to admit, working in the garage in near freezing temperature isn't fun at all. Gotta press on through!

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:44 pm

Glad you got the suspension issues sorted. (The x nember centering issue makes me think the spoon cross member inserts might not be a bad idea.)

I used conventional valvoline 75w-90 in 2 different t50s without issue. However, i might splurge and get some gl4 next time since the oem calls for it. (It rarely needs changing anyway.)

aceforever
Club4AG Pro

Postby aceforever » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:53 pm

Deuce Cam wrote:Glad you got the suspension issues sorted. (The x nember centering issue makes me think the spoon cross member inserts might not be a bad idea.)

I used conventional valvoline 75w-90 in 2 different t50s without issue. However, i might splurge and get some gl4 next time since the oem calls for it. (It rarely needs changing anyway.)

Thanks! It's great getting it sorted out for sure!

What's a cross member insert?
Also what's the difference between normal 75w-90 and gl4?

aceforever
Club4AG Pro

Postby aceforever » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:49 pm

Popup headlight fitment

This took a few hours to do, but very worth it once everything is fitting. I had to enlarge the holes and adjust.

The screw mounts for the side covers had to be filed down so it fits in the CF headlight covers.

Headlights go back in.

Final

Transmission fluid try 3

Took an evening to drain all the fluids out and replace it with conventional 80w90 GL4 from Brad Penn. Gears seems to engage smoother maybe due to the thicker oil? Not sure but seems better than before. Being under a rolling metal box weighing over a ton in a 28F weather pumping a little bottle full of sticky goo is one of the most absurd things to do with your spare time.

First meet of 2017

The meet was held at Griot's Garage in Tacoma, WA. My friend and I got there a little early because I was helping everyone setup and park. We ended up taking a quick coffee break to warm up before the meet.

I helped parked a bunch of FRS/BRZs.

Saw a very nice 4AGZE wide body ae86.

Also a sweet 4AGZE RHD Levin.

Upcoming tasks

Installing the Power Window Regulator, creating the wire harness (my car is a zenki unfortunately and don't have the harness built in)

Power locks, wireless lock module + harness

ITB intake plenum - the ITG filter doesn't fit unfortunately. I'd have to take the entire ITBs off and then install the filter. This is highly annoying to have to do often. I'm forgoing that idea and planning to make a plenum out of fiberglass or perhaps some plexiglass (to show off the velocity stacks) and using some cone filter. Still trying to figure out what diameter of a cone filter to go with.

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:10 pm

The spoon inserts are basically collared washers which are designed to take out the play/gap between the mounting holes on frame/x member, and the fasteners. As result they center the fasteners within the mount holes which centers the x member, in theory... as long as frame is straight.

75w-90 is a weight/viscosity reference #.

Most commercially available gear oil is gl5, including conventional valvoline 75w-90. (Gl designations are certs for how much certain types of additives are added btw.) Gl4 only (not gl5) is low production now since its been mostly superceded by gl5. The price reflects the low production...

Toyota calls for gl4 on our cars. Some have said gl5 oil isnt ideal due to the material used for the synchros in these old transmissions

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:44 pm

Ohhhhh.

Damn, now I understand where those Spoon collars go... I could never figure out what they were for when I first saw them for my Integra.

Seeing as how:

A.) Ace's "x member" was off and threw his alignment off

and

B.) I took my x member off..

I'm thinking I should get those rigid supports to help me keep the member centered in relation to the frame.

But damn, those things are expensive if I remember correctly.

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:47 pm

Nevermind, they are like 200.00 USD.

Da Pics yo:

So..

Top left= 4 mounting points for "carriage bolts"

Bottom right= mounting points for front control arm to x member

Where are the other two in relation to the chassis?

scalpel
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby scalpel » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:15 pm

any update?

aceforever
Club4AG Pro

Postby aceforever » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:08 pm

scalpel wrote:any update?

Yes! Updates coming up now!

aceforever
Club4AG Pro

Postby aceforever » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:27 pm

SSR Longchamp XR-4 Center Cap reproduction

I did some digging around looks like I can expect $150-200 on a good set of center caps for my longchamps. This was more than I wanted to pay. I asked a friend for a favor provided him measurements of a original center cap. He's a freaking genius and got a prototype ready for me in a couple days. I tested it and asked for a few modifications. Another print later, it fits well and seems to last up pretty decently. I'm going to sand and paint these and reproduce some XR-4 logos for it as well.

Shifter Bushing replacement

There was a recent group buy of Fun! Factory effect shifter bushings made from Ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene medical grade plastic. It finally came a few weeks ago!

Mini how-to:
  1. Take interior trim off
  2. Unbolt the shifter cover bracket (4x 10mm bolts), take shifter boot and unscrew knob off
  3. Lift inner shift boot up to reveal (4x 12mm bolts)
  4. Pop off the rubber cover, unclip the pin
  5. Clean up disintegrated rubber and grease and install new bushings.
    Warning: Based on this MachineDesign.com article, glycol is bad for plastics and should not be used here. I used my conventional transmission oil for lubricant.

Before and after comparison video:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BQa8cuuFDeA/

Upcoming tasks

Sanding/cleaning up the Longchamp center caps, create logo.
Fitting the AE86 power window regulators.

EvoSolley
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby EvoSolley » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:26 am

I got the T3 shifter bushing kit years ago, as one of my first "mods" to my corolla. Still the best "bang for buck" mod I have done to it. The difference after replacing the bushing was absolutely astonishing. Hard to believe something so simple can totally change the feel of your car. Keep up the great work!

aceforever
Club4AG Pro

Postby aceforever » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:55 pm

EvoSolley wrote:I got the T3 shifter bushing kit years ago, as one of my first "mods" to my corolla. Still the best "bang for buck" mod I have done to it. The difference after replacing the bushing was absolutely astonishing. Hard to believe something so simple can totally change the feel of your car. Keep up the great work!

Thanks man! Yeah, I should have definitely did this earlier! Who knew what a major difference it made!

aceforever
Club4AG Pro

Postby aceforever » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:09 am

Power window regulator install

Follow BO-4 on the AE86 service manual. I've included a brief how-to below. Includes picture of how the power window regulator is supposed to be bolted up.

1. Remove Manual Window Regulator Handle (for the last time)
  2. Remove Door open bezel and arm rest (if applicable)
  3. Remove rear view mirror trim and rear view mirror
  4. Remove door inner panel
  5. Remove outer bottom window bezel
  6. Unbolt door hinge side window track
  7. Remove rear view mirror bracket
  8. Remove window
  9. Remove Manual window regulator
  10. Clean off old crusty lube, and apply white lithium grease on tracks on the power window regulator.
  11. Install power window regulator. Notice the mounting holes are different. Took me a few minutes to find suitable mount holes.
  12. Reverse previous steps to put everything back in place.

Boy am I tired. Going to leave it for today.

scalpel
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby scalpel » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:32 pm

thanks for the write up and some good owrk on the centercap

aceforever
Club4AG Pro

Postby aceforever » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:45 am

scalpel wrote:thanks for the write up and some good owrk on the centercap

Thanks! :D

aceforever
Club4AG Pro

Postby aceforever » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:57 am

Door card modification

Took some measuring and an xacto knife but it turned out great. I didn't have a compass so I had to make circles the old fashioned way. Overall not too bad and will have to do for now before I rewrap the door.

SSR Longchamp XR-4 center cap decal

Been working with a friend on these for a while. I think it turned out great! Almost ready for the center caps!

aukword1
Club4AG Expert

Postby aukword1 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:21 pm

Looks good man...one day i will attempt to do the power window/door mod myself. That is whats great about these cars...always something you can do to improve them.