"Kentucky AE86: A Levin Story"

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Re: "Kentucky AE86: A Levin Story"

Postby Jayrdee » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:09 pm

So ... I finally got around to fixing that WP leak and yeah, that o-ring behind the waterpump had snapped. I also learned that taking the timing cover off the engine makes putting on the waterpump sooooooo much easier Lol.

I had a busy winter break with some trips out west so that took up all my time and money for that clutch job/rear coolant leak I've been putting off. Now my final semester has started so its looking like I'll be broke and have no free time for another few months :lol: :lol:

On the bright side, I managed to get one last good drive in before the weather gets worse than it already is.
[I have no idea what I'm doing]

mad_86
Club4AG Expert

Postby mad_86 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:28 pm

That’s awesome man , whoops thats right totally forgot about that timing cover lol after acouple time you can finesse it in but it is tight. 8-)

Same thing goes with the rear coolant neck ,
If you remove the egr and tubes theres more room to
Get it off and remove the rubber coolant hose
By bottom of the intake.

scalpel
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby scalpel » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:20 am

wow keeps on looking good

i have to the transmission and rear end rebuild as well haha

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:25 pm

Looks perfect - wouldnt change a thing. Always preferred the zenki flava

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:12 pm

mad_86 wrote:That’s awesome man , whoops thats right totally forgot about that timing cover lol after acouple time you can finesse it in but it is tight. 8-)

Same thing goes with the rear coolant neck ,
If you remove the egr and tubes theres more room to
Get it off and remove the rubber coolant hose
By bottom of the intake.

I sh*t you not, it took me about an hour or so trying to get that thing mounted the first time. I know the o-ring got pinched in the process, so thats why I made sure to take the cover off this time around :lol: :lol:

scalpel wrote:wow keeps on looking good

i have to the transmission and rear end rebuild as well haha

Deuce Cam wrote:Looks perfect - wouldnt change a thing. Always preferred the zenki flava

Thanks fellas!

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:23 am

Minor update, I broke down and went elsewhere to have that coolant leak fixed and the clutch replaced. Long story short, I'll be daily driving the 86 for a little while after I graduate college until I can save up some cash to buy something else to drive. I'm glad I went elsewhere to get the job done, the two bolts holding that coolant housing on the head had snapped, as I anticipated, and the dude had a hard time getting the housing off! That job would have been a nightmare on jackstands in my garage :lol: :lol: Its going to be dope being able to drive around town and not have coolant leaking all over the transmission though! Lol.

Side note, the guy who fixed it is a fellow AE86 dude. Matt Moore, a local legend around these parts. I know I've posted his car on here before but here's some pics of it. If anyone is in the central KY area and needs work done, this is the guy to go to. He goes by @roller_ae86 on instagram

I also got a vibrant ultra-quiet resonator and their streetpower universal muffler. Looking to have someone fab it all up for me so I'm excited. Looking for something a little more aggressive sounding over my fujitsubo without it sounding raspy.

And as usual, pic of mine! I found this cool little app that makes your pictures look like old school film pics and I'm a corny like that so ....

mad_86
Club4AG Expert

Postby mad_86 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:15 pm

post a sound clip after you get that new exhaust, been thinking of doing the same set up.

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:41 pm

Finally got around to having the exhaust made, special thanks to Matt Moore (@roller_ae86) again for welding this thing up for me.

It sounds perfect. Idle/cruising its nice and quiet but really opens up whenever you get on it.
Specs:
Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator (#1140)
Vibrant Streetpower Universal Muffler (#1101)
Custom tip, no catalytic converter, 2.25" stainless steel piping.

I'll let the pictures/video do the talking.
https://youtu.be/ZIQclVfoOUU

mad_86
Club4AG Expert

Postby mad_86 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:06 pm

Thats sound just right for a corolla! Thanks for the uploads 8-)

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:02 pm

Damn! Its been a little bit since I've been on here!

Just a brief life update, I finally graduated college, landed a big boy job as a production engineer, which means I'm making big boy money now 8-) 8-)

For starters, I somehow managed to end up with 6 Work Equip Mesh wheels. All of them are 14x7 and i think the offset is +8?

I also swapped out the old Recaro with a Bride Zeta I I bought from GetJpn. I was originally trying to snag an old TRD bucket seat, but I saw this one and I couldn't pass it up.

Now the corner of my bedroom looks like this :lol:

The 86 is still running good, just been driving the piss out of her. There's a track day coming up next month which I'm trying to drive in. Thats why I bought the bucket seat and the wheels. Now I just have to find some sticky tires. And of course, here's some eye candy! Shots come from this dude Kenta I know.

mad_86
Club4AG Expert

Postby mad_86 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:16 pm

195/ 60 /14 Federal 595 SS

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:38 pm

mad_86 wrote:195/ 60 /14 Federal 595 SS

I've always heard good things about those, but I just pulled the plug on some Toyo R888Rs, 185/60r14. Thats what I have on the car now. I think for a while the only 14" sizes they had were either 205/55 or 225/50.

Side note, Sezzle is f*ckin doppppeee. I bought my seat from GetJpn and paid via Sezzle. Basically you sign up and register a credit card, and then you can make interest free payments on whatever you're buying. There's a tire vendor called Tire Agent who uses Sezzle too, so .... ur boy is making 4 interest free payments on a set of sticky tires :lol: :lol: :lol:

Some more shots, but from a different guy. If anyone here is in the central KY area, hit up my dude Corbin Miranda. He does awesome work.

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:32 am

I attended my first ever track day yesterday! And let me tell ya, that was seriously the most fun I've ever had with a car in my entire life. It was at the NCM Motorsports Park in Bowling Green KY and their Grand Full course.

It was so cool to be able to go full throttle around a legitimate race track and push the car/myself to its full potential. I've never done that before, so I learned A L O T about what works and what doesn't. I experienced first hand at how un-forgiving these cars are when it comes to making mistakes, but now I know what to do next time around.

The TOYO R888s I got did awesome, never really drove on a sticky compound tire before so that was fun. Oh, and I have ZERO brakes now :lol: :lol: In fact, my brakes started fading during the 2nd iteration Lol. Thats on me though, I never upgraded the pads or anything so who knows whats on there or how old they are.

Its crazy to me how I beat the crap out of this 35 year old Toyota, 20 minute sessions of wide open throttle, around a 3.15 mile track, elevation changes, etc. And literally the only thing I broke was a bleeder valve on my caliper.

Very good day. Photos were taken by my buddy Kole Grove who also drove the event in a RHD Levin (20v swapped)

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:29 am

No update, just some more pictures of the track day!

SNEAKERHEAD
Club4AG Regular

Postby SNEAKERHEAD » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:30 am

This was awesome!
1985-COROLLA GTS Hatch
1986-COROLLA SR5 Coupe(Levin front)
2003-M45
2015-C300 4-Matic

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:27 pm

Damn! Its been a while!

Since the last post I upgraded my front brakes to T3's Baby Daddy kit. Its crazy how much stopping power you get with these.

Today at work I bought an HPI Oil Cooler Kit, MRP Filter Relocation kit, and oil pressure gauge. I'm also finally getting around to fixing my weird hesitation/throttle problem. It feels like its not getting enough fuel, or its got some bad gas, but its only at take-off. I ordered a fuel filter to see if that helps?

Oh, I also sold my other Watanabe wheels and got a new set!
14x8.5 -13 with 185/55 Federal SS595 tires.

davew7
Club4AG Expert

Postby davew7 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:22 am

For your "weird hesitation/throttle problem. It feels like its not getting enough fuel" Try a Brute Power P/N 2910260MS fuel pump. It's a direct replacement for the stock pump. If you have an adjustable reg. Set it at 39 psi. Big time improvement over the stock [probably 30yr old] Toyota pump.
davew7

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:26 am

davew7 wrote:For your "weird hesitation/throttle problem. It feels like its not getting enough fuel" Try a Brute Power P/N 2910260MS fuel pump. It's a direct replacement for the stock pump. If you have an adjustable reg. Set it at 39 psi. Big time improvement over the stock [probably 30yr old] Toyota pump.
davew7

Sweet! I'll have to check that out!

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:46 pm

A/C and P/S Removal - Complete
T3 Manual Rack Conversion - Complete
HPI Oil Cooler kit with MRP Filter Relocation - Complete
Stack Water Temp and Oil Pressure Gauge - Complete
Throttle hesitation/fuel delivery bug - Fixed (replaced the fuel filter and it went away!)

T3 rack vs Power Steering (The T3 rack changes your steering ratio from 3.5 turns lock-to-lock down to 2.5 turns):

You also get more steering angle!

Oil filter relocation kit setup:

I actually wasn't planning on using the filter relocation kit (This is why I drilled/tapped the plug on the sandwich plate for the oil pressure gauge) but the HPI kit forces you to run the oil lines down the side of the starter and under the engine mount. This was an issue for me because the lines touched my header. I thought I could cut the HPI oil lines in half and just buy more fittings but that didn't work :lol: Turns out although hoses/fittings could be the same size, they go by the inner diameter so the thickness can vary. The HPI lines were too thick so I had to make my own.

Here's a pic of the HPI oil lines:

And the two gauges:
The digital dash is cool until it just doesn't work and its totally blank Lol. At least now I have some peace of mind being able to monitor the engine temp and oil pressure.

But the coolest thing of all .....
She's getting her own garage!! This is whats been taking up a lot of my time/money.

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:21 pm

Looks like you've got your priorities sorted :)

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:24 am

jondee86 wrote:Looks like you've got your priorities sorted :)

Cheers... jondee86

Tbh, really all I was after was the garage lmao

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:50 pm

Don't knock it... a garage with a house attached is just what every car freak needs.
And I'm guessing that is not your sister :D

Cheers... jondee86

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:55 am

jondee86 wrote:Don't knock it... a garage with a house attached is just what every car freak needs.
And I'm guessing that is not your sister :D

Cheers... jondee86

Yes, you are correct. That is not my sister :lol:
Unfortunately, the more stuff I buy, the more she gets antsy for one little piece of jewelry .....

No major corolla update though. I recently caught the autocross bug so I've been doing that for the past few months. Its crazy how little I actually knew about proper suspension settings, how to drive, etc. This car really is the ultimate teacher. Here's a pic of me coming in too hot at the last event 8-)

I've also decided to start collecting parts to prepare for all the much needed bodywork. As much as I've loved driving this thing, its about time I start thinking about what I want to do to help preserve it. Right now I have a RunFree FRP hatch, and RunFree fender flares on the way, and eventually Goodline (or Jubiride) front end stuff. I still have the stroker kit too I need to put together as well.

The biggest update though ... I landed my dream job! Powertrain Production Engineer! So next time you see a new Toyota around town, just remember a fellow 4age nerd helped make it!

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:07 am

Nice to see that you are putting that car to good use :) No sense in putting money into improving
the handling if you don't put it to the test. And autoX is a great place to learn where the limits are
without being in danger of doing damage to yourself or your car. Too many people get into trouble
on the road because they have never learned the basic dynamics of how a car handles, and what it
is going to do under emergency braking or getting into a corner hot. Learn well and live long :)

Congratulations on the new job... seems you are going to be one of the lucky few who go to work
each day with a grin on their face !!!

Cheers... jondee86

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:08 pm

My 3rd ever HPDE event (Nov 6/7 2021) was a success! I went in with 2 main goals:
1) Don't spin out or go off track
2) Hopefully nothing breaks

Saturday my best time was a 2.48.619, and then Sunday I was able to shave it down to a 2.43.724. I still got a lot to learn, but we're slowly getting there.

Here's some in-car footage of whats possibly the slowest lap ever Lol
https://youtu.be/5JDt1bfrIN8

jondee86 wrote:Nice to see that you are putting that car to good use :) No sense in putting money into improving
the handling if you don't put it to the test. And autoX is a great place to learn where the limits are
without being in danger of doing damage to yourself or your car. Too many people get into trouble
on the road because they have never learned the basic dynamics of how a car handles, and what it
is going to do under emergency braking or getting into a corner hot. Learn well and live long :)
Cheers... jondee86

This event is proof that your statement is correct! I definitely felt more confident pushing harder, and the car felt a lot more stable too!

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:23 pm

Looks like you had a great day :) Engine sounds crisp and car sits flat in the corners, so now
it is down to seat time and slowly refining your lines and braking points to whittle those lap
times down. It is a big psychological barrier to overcome your normal conservative everyday
braking habits when you get on the track. The tendency is to brake early and light when you
need to be braking late and hard.

That is a great track you were driving on... got a bit of everything there. Reminds me of the
first time I raced on track. Over cooked it on the third corner and went off into the weeds :)
That was the moment that I realised I didn't really know diddly about driving fast. After that
I swallowed my pride and began working on learning about car handling and finding my limits.
Met a lot of great people and had a lot of good times. I'm sure you will find the same.

Cheers... jondee86