From shell to DET. (September)

jinx
Club4AG Expert

Re: From shell to DET. (AUGUST)

Postby jinx » Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:03 pm

Are you talking about the fender flares...???

Where you get your aluminum wheel widening and custom work done ?

Hi, I was asking about the actual aluminum rim biulding/widening/narrowing etc..
as you metioned earlier in the thread, but not specified the source
Would like to 'tuck' some wheels under stock AE body
thanks ....and for the tablet info

really good job on the car. Thread touches on alot in "AE86 life"..... how tos, plus with good feedback

S13562
Club4AG Regular

Postby S13562 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:00 am

jinx wrote:
Are you talking about the fender flares...???

Where you get your aluminum wheel widening and custom work done ?

Hi, I was asking about the actual aluminum rim biulding/widening/narrowing etc..
as you metioned earlier in the thread, but not specified the source
Would like to 'tuck' some wheels under stock AE body
thanks ....and for the tablet info

really good job on the car. Thread touches on alot in "AE86 life"..... how tos, plus with good feedback

Thanks
They're actually steel not aluminum thats why i was confused. They're hand rolled, cut on a cnc machine from a small mom and pop shop down the street from me. I am trying to see if people would be interested in a group buy im thinking they would be under $350-400 for all 4 if i can get about 5-10 people.
instagram: ate_six_trueno

S13562
Club4AG Regular

Postby S13562 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:27 am

Since my last post i test fitted the flares on. i still need to make cuts to the fenders, weld and seal them which I will be doing later this week.
I noticed i had chopped one side about 2 inches short. Dont know how i did this i was racing the sunset and i believe i may have cut on the wrong side of the tape.

Spent a Saturday afternoon back tracking and getting it welded back on. a few tacks later it was one again.

I took the dremel and grinder to it to even it out.

Now i am debating if i want to go thru the idea of welding them on still. The fitment is flush and i can just rivet them on. originally the goal was to weld these on grind and fill them flush but I am no bodywork expert and would hate if they ended up looking like the original butchered job. I will be starting body work soon. my goal was to have done body work and have the car ready for paint mid year. so i am a few months behind from my personal goal. However im glad as i would have probably attempted to stick with the stock fenders or even would have gone the plastic/ fiberglass way. It took me some time to decide on the fenders and finally pull the trigger. so three months behind was worth it to me.

I finally installed rear sway bar bushings that i had laying around which was a very simple affair. I also went ahead and pressed out the lateral bat hem joint on the driver side and swapped it for a polyurethane bushing. so now i am running a 50/50 bushing on one side and hem joint on the other.
The driver side hem joint was very noisy. for some reason it did not fit flush on top of the bolt i believe it might have been missing some type of shim. it would bang around on/off of acceleration as well as over any bumps. it was a metal on metal noise and it had been the most annoying thing on this car. why it took me so long to finally address it idk but its night and day now.

S13562
Club4AG Regular

Re: From shell to DET. (September)

Postby S13562 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:08 am

September has flew by! I didn't get much done this month life has gotten in the way. Little things here and there such as welding on the BOV. I started rebuilding my mesh wheels, taking them apart and getting them cleaned up. Cut my front fenders this week still need to do the rear hopefully this weekend. Going thru some of my picture and I forgot to post some of my favorites from 8/6. Cool meet at cafe 86 with some really clean cars definitely inspiring me to try and get somewhere as clean as these. Few Levins and a black limited.
I will finally start on paint prep and hopefully will have the car sprayed by the end of October.

s3cf
Club4AG Expert

Re: From shell to DET. (September)

Postby s3cf » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:15 am

S13562 wrote:September has flew by! I didn't get much done this month life has gotten in the way. Little things here and there such as welding on the BOV. I started rebuilding my mesh wheels, taking them apart and getting them cleaned up. Cut my front fenders this week still need to do the rear hopefully this weekend. Going thru some of my picture and I forgot to post some of my favorites from 8/6. Cool meet at cafe 86 with some really clean cars definitely inspiring me to try and get somewhere as clean as these. Few Levins and a black limited.
I will finally start on paint prep and hopefully will have the car sprayed by the end of October.

img]

Got more pics of the meet?
very nice cars