My Beam Swap 86

guateracer1
Club4AG Enthusiast

My Beam Swap 86

Postby guateracer1 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:33 pm

Decided to make a build tread on my other 86 that im currently been working on for over a year now. Its an 85 SR5 coupe that I traded for my running and driving celica lol. At the time I couldnt find an ae86 shell anywhere at the time. My friend had this shell for quite sometime but he never really got around to doing anything with the car for a while. I have couple other 86s one being my white/black hatch and decided to slide around and cut it to close one time and almost mess it up so right there and then decided to get another 86 lol. Wanted to learn how to drift so why not in another car that i haven't spent so much time and money on you know? lol so here she not the best looking car but it was only one at the moment i could find. :?

As you can see it was pretty much worthless lol it came with just sr5 rear to roll no front suspension , subframe cut for an s2k swap and whole lot of rust haha so decided to go something a little out my realm with and wanted to do Beams swap since my hatch was already 20v swapped. So first things first went to jdm depo and scoop a full 6 speed G1 3sge with harness and ecu for 900 bucks ( blk friday deal lol) like two weeks after trading for the 86 lol

Unfortunately life got in the way and swap got put on hold do other matters that kept me distracted for to long lol but anywho after a while i finally picked up where i lef off and started to go town on car. Since i knew it was gonna be a dedicated drift car i needed to get brand new suspension so decided to get brand new bc coilovers. Dediced to do suspension first since i had to wait for my plug n play wireharness to be made by tweaked performance. For steering i decided to go wth mr2 steering with power steering tie rods combo Used the excessive manufacturing adapter bushing. ( I also decided to go with t3 rack spacers as well and 15mm extended lcas from t3 to have brand new suspension upfront

Next up I had spare gts rear end lying around it was stock 4.3 non lsd rear and my hatch had a 4.89 TRD 2way lsd rear ( came with the car when i bought it 5 years ago. So decided to put 2way rear end in the drift 86 and make the hatch more cruisable on the highway lol( night and day difference lol)
Down goes the dinky rusted out sr5 rear in the process i decided to clean and undercoat the chassis of the 86 since everything was down already. I went the xcessive gts on epiece drive shaft as well
Thru the gts rear end in it and added few goodies form T3 as well while i was back there.
I couldnt find the pics but i also swapped the tank to gts gas tank added a walboro 255 fuel and ran gts main feed line around the car took me forvever to source out but since i wanted to make it return style system i sourced oem line.

Finally time came and decided to finally put the 86s new heart in after receiving the harness from tweaked. I also picked up JSP fab kit for engine mounts an
d subframe spacers as well. decided to go with xcessevie cross memeber for the tranny and mount and also engine mounts as well. Looks right at home :D
Fast forward few weeks after dealing with fuel set up front and maf setup. went with the battle garage got koyo beams swap radiator as well. few wires i had to run myself and she started right up no problems after sitting for so long ! couldnt believe that i got it running lolol for time swapping an 86 on my own.
The night finally came and it was time for its first test drive and everything went smoothly no issues at all!
Picked up fatlace wheels too needed something other the celica supras haha

davew7
Club4AG Expert

Re: My Beam Swap 86

Postby davew7 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:40 am

Thanx for sharing your project. Looks like a fun build. davew7

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:59 pm

Yes... can see a lot of thought and planning (and coin) went into this build. You
should be able to beat on this all day and still drive home grinning :) Nice work.

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

frankist
Club4AG Regular

Postby frankist » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:25 pm

Great to see another build on here! Looking good.

aukword1
Club4AG Expert

Postby aukword1 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:22 am

you finally made a thread, looking good man!