spring and coilover question?

phanist
Club4AG Expert

spring and coilover question?

Postby phanist » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:19 am

hi guy im currently running greddy tpye-s coilover front and greddy rear spring and shock .. rear have sit for adjustable height.. i lower my car about 1 1/2 inch to 2inch. i did turn my shock to fully soft.. and yet my car feel a bit bouncy ....is this due to a too stiff spring?
i do enjoy aggressive driving and make my shock stiff occasionally. but when daily i like it handle a bit and not too bouncy on rough road..
what can i do??
any advise is appreciated

nohachi
Club4AG Regular

Re: spring and coilover question?

Postby nohachi » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:08 am

8/6 springs let the tires and chassis do most of the compliance. If you translate these springrates to wheelrates and suspension frequencies (which can be compared between different kinds of cars) you end up with numbers that are usually reserved for track-only cars with roll cages, slick tires and some kind of aero.

Half of the spring rate you run would provide best handling on real world roads (see e.g. wrc tarmac rally rates).

totta crolla
Club4AG Pro

Postby totta crolla » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:27 am

As Nohachi says Use softer springs and tune to suit using your adjustable dampers.
Too much body roll using softer springs ? Fit bigger sway bars.
I use spring rates that are approximately half what you are using on my tarmac rally car, mindful of the fact that my tyres have no damping and the bodyshell will likely flex as much as the springs if I go too much higher with the spring rates.
Last edited by totta crolla on Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

gotzoom?
Club4AG Expert

Postby gotzoom? » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:05 am

I'll add a couple things to that. In my experience, 8/6 is good for modern sticky street tires such as Bridgestone RE-11's, Dunlop Star Specs, etc. It is not enough for modern DOT-R tires.

I mostly track my car, but I do drive it on the street a bit. The stiff ride definitely makes it uncomfortable on the street. The short stroke suspension necessary to keep the springs on their perches also makes the car a bit of a handful under normal road driving conditions such as going over hills, dirty roads, etc.

If you want to run really low, also make sure you are not riding on the bumpstops. This is particularly true if you decide to lower your spring rates without raising the car. There is an additional bumpstop called a pinion snubber that mounts to the underside of the car just above the flange on the input of the rearend. If you're running low, you should remove the pinion snubber. If you're riding on the bumpstops, you will either need to use smaller and wider bumpstops or just cut the ones you have and be careful not to bottom out the shocks/struts.

nohachi
Club4AG Regular

Postby nohachi » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:26 am

Gotzoom, is your car caged?

8/6 is about 2.5Hz. Nationally competitive NASA PT cars running fresh sets of Hoosiers (stickier then Dot-R) and at least a wing hover around 2.3Hz.

At around 6kg/mm a stock chassis flexes so much that for every inch of spring travel, the chassis bends the same amount on top of that. Its like having 2 springs in mounted in series. The combined spring rate is lower then either spring working separately.

phanist
Club4AG Expert

Postby phanist » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:42 pm

ok that bring back to the question what spring rate do i have on... i install this greddy tpye-s set. because it was just laying around my garage.. my brother bought it but he sold his car...
and to ask him.. he didnt even know anything about it..so i have no idea what spring rate the suspension come with.. but it look nice LOL...
i also have a set of tein coilover front adjustable height.. rear tein shock and trd 5.5kg rear spring.. i bought this set 3 year ago... can any one tell which set i should run on my car? my car still have every thing on it.. interior etc

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:36 pm

Greddy type is 8k f/6k r like most of the other off the shelf aftermarket coilovers.

Try both and see what you like best.

LongGrain

Postby LongGrain » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:32 pm

the f**k you talking about no rear height adjustability.

my car on greddy front and rear. Rears are all the way down, front has tons of room to go lower.

nohachi
Club4AG Regular

Postby nohachi » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:50 am

Where the f*ck do you read someone talking about no height adjustability?

totta crolla
Club4AG Pro

Postby totta crolla » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:03 am

Stiff springs and soft dampers can create a bouncy "springy" car as the rebound rates on the dampers will not be matched to the springs, essentially the springs have too much power over the dampers. Softening the shocks to get a better ride when the springs are too stiff to start with will not work.

phanist
Club4AG Expert

Postby phanist » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:34 am

LongGrain
the f**k you talking about no rear height adjustability.

my car on greddy front and rear. Rears are all the way down, front has tons of room to go lower.

LOL YAH i didnt say anything about NO REAR adjustability Sir...... my greddy set are fully front and rear adjustable LOL
the non adjustable rear are my tein shock and trd lower spring... did you misunderstand that???

to every else thank for the input