need some rhd help!

adamz

need some rhd help!

Postby adamz » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:20 pm

Hey guys I use to live in Okinawa Japan and I shipped my rhd trueno back to Texas. I'm trying to find a place to get a appraisal so when i drive it its not insured for the average 1986 carolla. Can anyone help me out with this situation?! I really want to drive it but i refused to until im insured the price its truly worth. I've called a few auto appraisal places but they don't know what the car is. So i want someone that truely knows what it's worth. Thanks so much in advanced.

HASport AE86
Club4AG Expert

Re: need some rhd help!

Postby HASport AE86 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:12 pm

Talk to AAA, they seem to be very good with prices/coverage. I went through this with my corolla and have been chin deep in insurance stuff since my family jumped back into the business. I picked up some things just by being around...

There are really three main types of policies. Basic liability, full coverage, and stated value.

Basic liability is just that, basic. It's the bare legal minimum to drive the car on the road. You hit someone, insurance company will pay for the damages for the person you hit up to a certain dollar amount including medical bills. You're on your own unless stated otherwise. If the person you hit now has $100k in medical bills and your insurance only pays for $50k, you are responsible for coming up with the other $50k for the person you hit if you were at fault.

Full coverage breaks down into many different levels of how much coverage you want. A higher property limit (you drive through a jewelery store and break everything), a higher medical limit (you hit someone and now they are a pirate double) and any additional coverage. Full coverage will usually get you the fair market value of your car if it gets wrecked. This is where you save all your receipts and take a ton of pictures. All of this will be used later on by the adjuster to determine the value. The better the documentation, the more money you get. Simple as that. Just because you paid $10k for the car doesn't mean you'll get $10k for it without proof that it is worth that much. Build your case to the adjuster. To them it is a POS 1985 Toyota, what makes it worth $10k?!?!

Stated Value Policies are what you would be interested in. You bought the car for $10k, you want it insured for $10k. If a tree falls on it, some dumb kunt in a minvan hits it, you get a check for $10k. A stated value policy comes with a higher premium (bill) but there is no bull associated with the full coverage claims adjuster.

Another thing you want to look at is your Comprehensive coverage. Now this is where most people get burned. Comprehensive coverage is stuff that happens to your car NOT caused by an accident. A tree falls on your car, someone breaks into your car, someone steals your wheels, ex girlfriend lights car on fire. This is all very negotiable with your agent with coverage amounts. For myself, I opted for $2500 of coverage. I walk outside and my Volks are gone, I get a check for new wheels. Dont cheap out on the comprehensive, it is the emergency shoot for when the full coverage doesn't cover it.

In short dude, talk with your agent. Like I said, I had great results with AAA. Just tell them what you have, what you want and they will build a policy around your needs.
SwangBiz Corolla Chassis Parts and F20/F22C/4AGE Wiring Services
(we build stuff, I solder wires, we race corollas, then we get drunk)

Proud Supporter of JSPfab.com, BattleGarage, and Solo8 LED Solutions

adamz

Re: need some rhd help!

Postby adamz » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:47 am

Thanks man! That was alot of good info on what I need to know! hoprfully I can work something out because I really miss driving my trueno. I'll definitely will look into that tomorrow. How much would you think that would cost if I got the stated value?