time for a new clutch?

s3cf
Club4AG Expert

time for a new clutch?

Postby s3cf » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:46 am

when i step on the clutch pedal and push in it feels very light and soft does that mean it's time for a new clutch?
I just recently installed new clutch master cylinder and bleed the clutch line

Any advice is appreciated, thanks

Deuce Cam

Re: time for a new clutch?

Postby Deuce Cam » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:24 am

Has it been like this since right after you replaced the master and bleed the line, or has the pedal got softer over time?

My guess is you're clutch slave cylinder is probably going out assuming the line was bleed properly. It's best to change the clutch master and slave at the same time since one will often go bad after replacing the other. It also won't hurt to replace the old rubber clutch soft line with a new ss line. http://www.techna-fit.com/ sells them for $25.

s3cf
Club4AG Expert

Postby s3cf » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:09 am

Deuce Cam wrote:Has it been like this since right after you replaced the master and bleed the line, or has the pedal got softer over time?

My guess is you're clutch slave cylinder is probably going out assuming the line was bleed properly. It's best to change the clutch master and slave at the same time since one will often go bad after replacing the other. It also won't hurt to replace the old rubber clutch soft line with a new ss line. http://www.techna-fit.com/ sells them for $25.

It has been soft and my mechanic recommended new master and line bleed but after that it didnt help nor worsen the softness....

SidewaysGts
Club4AG Regular

Postby SidewaysGts » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:37 am

Did you sort out this issue or are you still looking for help?

s3cf
Club4AG Expert

Postby s3cf » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:01 pm

SidewaysGts wrote:Did you sort out this issue or are you still looking for help?

i m still looking for inputs

gotzoom?
Club4AG Expert

Postby gotzoom? » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:27 pm

If you clutch needs replacement, it will slip. If you get the car up to around 4000rpm in 1st or 2nd gear and suddenly stand on the gas, the rpms should rise with the speed of the car. If the revs suddenly pop to redline without the car accelerating, you need a clutch. The clutch disk pressure comes from springs in the pressure plate. It is not related to the pedal or hydraulic components.

Sounds like you have air in the lines to me. It's also possible that the pedal isn't adjusted properly. If you have a lot of free pedal play before you feel pressure, that should be easy to adjust out.

SidewaysGts
Club4AG Regular

Postby SidewaysGts » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:00 am

What this gent' before me said.

If youre having pedal issues, its quite likely youre having hydraulic issues. Bad slave, air in the lines- or even a faulty master. I know youve just swaped it- But its not unhread of. Ive personally had dead out of the box hydraulics. Rather annoying as i kept scratching my head going " no no no, it CANT be that, its BRAND new!". Took awhile to figure out :\

s3cf
Club4AG Expert

Postby s3cf » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:10 am

gotzoom? wrote:If you clutch needs replacement, it will slip. If you get the car up to around 4000rpm in 1st or 2nd gear and suddenly stand on the gas, the rpms should rise with the speed of the car. If the revs suddenly pop to redline without the car accelerating, you need a clutch. The clutch disk pressure comes from springs in the pressure plate. It is not related to the pedal or hydraulic components.

Sounds like you have air in the lines to me. It's also possible that the pedal isn't adjusted properly. If you have a lot of free pedal play before you feel pressure, that should be easy to adjust out.

Thanks. Will def look into that and keep you gents posted

s3cf
Club4AG Expert

Postby s3cf » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:12 am

SidewaysGts wrote:What this gent' before me said.

If youre having pedal issues, its quite likely youre having hydraulic issues. Bad slave, air in the lines- or even a faulty master. I know youve just swaped it- But its not unhread of. Ive personally had dead out of the box hydraulics. Rather annoying as i kept scratching my head going " no no no, it CANT be that, its BRAND new!". Took awhile to figure out :\

Thanks for the inputs.
So the clutch pedal hydraulic is a combination of slave, master and the line, right?

sorry I m still trying to learn.

Thanks

gotzoom?
Club4AG Expert

Postby gotzoom? » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:36 pm

You might want to search for a copy of the service manual. There are pdf copies you can find online. That will explain how the parts fit together and what the factory procedures are.

Starting from the clutch pedal, here is a list of the major components of the system:
1. clutch pedal
2. master cylinder (with adjustment linkage)
3. clutch hardline
4. clutch softline
5. slave cylinder
6. clutch fork
7. bearing sleeve
8. throwout bearing

My money is on air in the line. In order to properly bleed the line, you will need a buddy to step down on the pedal while you open the bleed valve on the slave cylinder. When the pedal gets about 3/4 depressed, have your buddy let you know so you can close the bleed valve. Have him/her pump the pedal a few times and repeat that bleed procedure until the pedal feels firm. Watch the reservoir level. If it gets too low, air will be sucked in to the line and you start all over. If the pedal still doesn't feel right, I'd start looking at items #2, 4 and 5 as possible culprits.

s3cf
Club4AG Expert

Postby s3cf » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:02 am

gotzoom? wrote:You might want to search for a copy of the service manual. There are pdf copies you can find online. That will explain how the parts fit together and what the factory procedures are.

Starting from the clutch pedal, here is a list of the major components of the system:
1. clutch pedal
2. master cylinder (with adjustment linkage)
3. clutch hardline
4. clutch softline
5. slave cylinder
6. clutch fork
7. bearing sleeve
8. throwout bearing

My money is on air in the line. In order to properly bleed the line, you will need a buddy to step down on the pedal while you open the bleed valve on the slave cylinder. When the pedal gets about 3/4 depressed, have your buddy let you know so you can close the bleed valve. Have him/her pump the pedal a few times and repeat that bleed procedure until the pedal feels firm. Watch the reservoir level. If it gets too low, air will be sucked in to the line and you start all over. If the pedal still doesn't feel right, I'd start looking at items #2, 4 and 5 as possible culprits.

Thank you sir
I will keep you posted on the outcome