looking to wire my corner lights as my blinker! HELP

hachiroku ae86
Club4AG Expert

looking to wire my corner lights as my blinker! HELP

Postby hachiroku ae86 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:27 pm

hi club so thought of doing this awhile ago but and saw a write up on it but i cant find it anymore. i was wandering if anyone had any info on this. i know you have to run leds due to the stock corners only being a single stage bulb. any help will be appreciated
Andrew Goodluck
email- hachitruenoae86@gmail.com
paypal- teenmob2@yahoo.com
cell- 909-697-7094

85coupe gtsr5 DDDM(dily driven drift missle)
98 ford f-150 DD blown up

ga_goosh
Club4AG Pro

Re: looking to wire my corner lights as my blinker! HELP

Postby ga_goosh » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:49 pm

you can hook the bumper blinkers up to a relay that will turn off the corner lights when the bumper lights blink. the corners will actually blink opposite of the blinkers and still stay on when the blinker is off. you dont have to use LEDs if you do it this way. just a simple re-wire and your set
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM

yellowsnow4free
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby yellowsnow4free » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:31 pm

I've been thinking about doing the same thing lately.

The LED route would be awesome, but considering the wiring would be pretty simple I concur with the alternating blink method.

If you Google around you can find some write-ups and wiring diagrams.

Here's a cool video I found of them working:

http://youtu.be/w7-tK2U_ehE

And here's what appears to be a DIY video, although I don't feel like spending 6 minutes to watch all of it right now :P

http://youtu.be/jYhK27jkK88

BTW, the wiring for the fender / running lights goes into the same loom as the turn signal indicators. You could probably do all your splicing there and nobody would be able to tell you modified anything! (it'll be hidden under the headlights)

Good luck! ^_^

rongfk
Club4AG Expert

Postby rongfk » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:07 am

or you can go the easy route, clip and tap your corner light into your turn signal wire (green/yellow & green/black stripe) to have them work simultaneously.
always looking to buy original ae86 master power window switches or parts, good or broken or not working.

look for my parts for sale...

rongfk1963@yahoo.com

ga_goosh
Club4AG Pro

Postby ga_goosh » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:32 am

rongfk wrote:or you can go the easy route, clip and tap your corner light into your turn signal wire (green/yellow & green/black stripe) to have them work simultaneously.

yes you could do it that way but that way your corner lights wont be lit up at all unless your blinkers where on. then you have a bit of a safety issue and you might have to change it back for inspection proposes.
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM

rongfk
Club4AG Expert

Postby rongfk » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:16 am

yea, i like the idea of what you suggested. got any diagrams for that set-up?
always looking to buy original ae86 master power window switches or parts, good or broken or not working.

rongfk1963@yahoo.com

ga_goosh
Club4AG Pro

Postby ga_goosh » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:22 am

actually i remember a friend of mine bought some aftermarket mirrors with leds in them and i wired them up for him they blinked and stayed on due to a resistor that let the blinker over ride the solid signal.let me see what i can find.
Last edited by ga_goosh on Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM

ga_goosh
Club4AG Pro

Postby ga_goosh » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:30 am

ok i found this diagram that is used for the mirror led blinkers. this should apply to the wedge led bulbs that will fit the corner lights as well. this will let the led to be on when there is no blinker but to blink when the blinker is on. i dont know what resistor to use tho. but this does make a single element led bulb work like a dual element bulb. this way you dont need a relay just splice from the bumper light.

wedge led bulb edited i found this pic of the led wedge bulbs

here is a wiring diagram that shows the relay method that will stay on and turn off when the blinker is lit for opposite blinking this is actually how the jdm civic side markers are wired up but it is the same concept.
Last edited by ga_goosh on Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM

rongfk
Club4AG Expert

Postby rongfk » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:47 am

oh-kay, got it. i used this set up on some star led tail lights i made for my dads 33 ford 5 window coupe. so there is no relay needed, just a couple of diods and resistor per side.

thanks, Ronnie.

rongfk1963@yahoo.com

hachiroku ae86
Club4AG Expert

Postby hachiroku ae86 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:37 am

i did mine the other day i will post step by step with pics and a video later
Andrew Goodluck
email- hachitruenoae86@gmail.com
paypal- teenmob2@yahoo.com
cell- 909-697-7094

85coupe gtsr5 DDDM(dily driven drift missle)
98 ford f-150 DD blown up

yellowsnow4free
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby yellowsnow4free » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:48 am

I'm very interested in doing this too!

There are a couple diagrams floating around online... I want to say Jeff Lange posted one somewhere.
Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a ton of info on it :(

Before I start cutting and splicing wires, I want to make sure everything works properly. Like, will the hazards, turn signals, and running lights still function properly? (basically anything that uses the front turn signal lights).

If I can find and decipher a diagram I'm thinking of testing it using a couple bulbs first; I remember the term "floating ground" being thrown around...

Any info here would be appreciated :)

shagymc
Club4AG Expert

Postby shagymc » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:00 am

All you need to do is wire a relay to connect the turn signal to the corner light whenever you actually move the switch up or down. I don't know off hand, but I'm sure it's negative trigger. I'll do some digging with a meter today and draw you up a schematic. Should only need 1 relay per side unless the blinker 12V is to weak to drive the side light as well. Here's a quick rundown of the relay:
85 - (-) turn signal trigger
86 - (+) fused 12V Ignition
87a - car side of the side marker light
87 - from blinker
30 - Bulb side of the side marker light

I'll verify it's constant (-) trigger today and put some colors up as well as a little schematic.

yellowsnow4free
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby yellowsnow4free » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:57 pm

shagymc wrote:All you need to do is wire a relay to connect the turn signal to the corner light whenever you actually move the switch up or down. I don't know off hand, but I'm sure it's negative trigger. I'll do some digging with a meter today and draw you up a schematic. Should only need 1 relay per side unless the blinker 12V is to weak to drive the side light as well. Here's a quick rundown of the relay:
85 - (-) turn signal trigger
86 - (+) fused 12V Ignition
87a - car side of the side marker light
87 - from blinker
30 - Bulb side of the side marker light

I'll verify it's constant (-) trigger today and put some colors up as well as a little schematic.

Thanks shagymc! :D

In the videos I found (an older post of mine in this thread apparently) it looks like you can accomplish this without any resistors, diodes, or relays. However, I've had trouble finding solid info on how to do it.

I'd like to get a couple bulbs together and see if I can emulate it before I attempt it on my car though.

shagymc
Club4AG Expert

Postby shagymc » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:18 pm

I actually tried to figure this out and realized that they aren't negative trigger however you could still get this look by converting it to negative trigger. It's not to difficult. You'll need 4 relays (2 for each side). I drew kind of a sketch for it here:http://imageshack.com/a/img661/6821/414cIw.jpg Image

Hope that makes sense. You can get to the flasher and turn signal wires under the cluster at this plug. It's held onto a bracket with 2 phillips screws but comes down easy.

The wires you need are:
Green/White - 12v pulse from flasher
Green/Yellow - Right turn signal
Green/Black - Left turn signal

-So you cut the Green/White wire and ground the steering column side(switch side), Then flasher will go to pin 87 on all 4 relays.
-Cut you're turn signal wire's and now the switch side is your trigger wire i.e. Green/Yellow switch side goes to pin 85 on your right blinker and marker relays, Green/Black switch side goes to pin 85 on your left blinker and marker relays.
-Green/Yellow bulb side (the cut side not on the steering column side) will go to pin 30 of your right blinker relay, Green/Black bulb side goes to pin 30 of your left blinker relay.
-A fused 12v ignition wire goes to pin 86 on all relays
-On your Marker relay, run 2 wires out to the marker light from pin 87a and pin 30. At your marker bulb, cut the 12v parking light wire (Green) a little before the light. Connect the pin 87a wire to the car side of the green parking light wire, and connect pin 30 to the bulb side of the green parking light wire.

That should be it. The colors may be off a tiny bit because the Previous owner of mine decided to overspray everything with white paint.
Hope this helps!
I haven't actually done this but maybe I'll do it tonight to see if it works. Be sure to test the wires and make sure they are the correct ones before cutting!!!

yellowsnow4free
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby yellowsnow4free » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:28 am

shagymc wrote:I actually tried to figure this out and realized that they aren't negative trigger however you could still get this look by converting it to negative trigger. It's not to difficult. You'll need 4 relays (2 for each side). I drew kind of a sketch for it here:http://imageshack.com/a/img661/6821/414cIw.jpg Image

Hope that makes sense. You can get to the flasher and turn signal wires under the cluster at this plug. It's held onto a bracket with 2 phillips screws but comes down easy.

The wires you need are:
Green/White - 12v pulse from flasher
Green/Yellow - Right turn signal
Green/Black - Left turn signal

-So you cut the Green/White wire and ground the steering column side(switch side), Then flasher will go to pin 87 on all 4 relays.
-Cut you're turn signal wire's and now the switch side is your trigger wire i.e. Green/Yellow switch side goes to pin 85 on your right blinker and marker relays, Green/Black switch side goes to pin 85 on your left blinker and marker relays.
-Green/Yellow bulb side (the cut side not on the steering column side) will go to pin 30 of your right blinker relay, Green/Black bulb side goes to pin 30 of your left blinker relay.
-A fused 12v ignition wire goes to pin 86 on all relays
-On your Marker relay, run 2 wires out to the marker light from pin 87a and pin 30. At your marker bulb, cut the 12v parking light wire (Green) a little before the light. Connect the pin 87a wire to the car side of the green parking light wire, and connect pin 30 to the bulb side of the green parking light wire.

That should be it. The colors may be off a tiny bit because the Previous owner of mine decided to overspray everything with white paint.
Hope this helps!
I haven't actually done this but maybe I'll do it tonight to see if it works. Be sure to test the wires and make sure they are the correct ones before cutting!!!

Wow, that's awesome; thanks for sharing! :D Nice info about the wires being under the dash like that; seems easier than trying to splice wires around the front end.

Are there any downsides to going the negative trigger route? Seems simpler to me. As long as the functionality is the same, of course.

shagymc
Club4AG Expert

Postby shagymc » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:30 pm

Just more parts i.e. the 4 relays. I'm not sure what the current draw is on the signal and marker lights but DEI used to give a 2 relay box for the door locks in their old alarms that would work great as long as they could support the current draw.