Crunching noise

Toybrota
Club4AG Enthusiast

Crunching noise

Postby Toybrota » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:06 pm

I have an sr5 with the original rear end and it's recently been making a ton of racket.
When I accelerate it whines up and gets louder and louder
and when I slow down it quiets but I hear this crunching sound thats synced with the rotation of the wheels
Sounds like its coming from the rear right side of the car

I think it's wheel bearing but I want to be sure

any have any experience with this/have advice?
Also are there any companies that make replacement bearings if it is that?

Sportmax
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: Crunching noise

Postby Sportmax » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:35 pm

Sounds like a wheel bearing. If you swerve lightly back and forth does it get louder and quiter? It should get louder when you load the bearing. The cheap wheel bearings sold at either advanced auto parts or autozone are actually Toyo Bearings. Like $25 each. Or I used bearings from Car Quest, for got the name but they were factory installed bearins also.

Another way to tell is put the back end on jack stands and have somone slowly drive the vehicle in first gear, use a long screw driver and listen through the handle to the end of the axle housing where the bearing is. It will be loud if its bad. Compare it with the other side and the other side should be quite, you know its the wheel bearing then. Take caution when doing this. You want to make sure the front tires are properly blocked, the vehicle is secure on jack stands and you stay away from any moving parts ie. wheels and drive shaft.

If you can get the axle out then you can take it to a shop and have them press the bearing on and off. Pretty easy job. Ive done lots of wheel bearings on 86s.

Toybrota
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Toybrota » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:14 pm

Alright awesome thanks for the tip. It didn't get louder or quieter when I swerved. It just sounds like this loud noise that fills the cabin I can't really explain it

asnfro
Club4AG Regular

Postby asnfro » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:33 pm

sorta sounds like the same problem i'm having. whining when i'm on the gas and a funny quieter "crunchy" sound when i'm off the gas. I was really thinking it was my rear end. I pulled my axles and the bearings seem fine although really have no idea. i'm trying to find a place to bring my rear end to get checked and fixed if something is wrong.

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:14 pm

Toybrota wrote:I have an sr5 with the original rear end and it's recently been making a ton of racket.
When I accelerate it whines up and gets louder and louder, and when I slow down it quiets
but I hear this crunching sound thats synced with the rotation of the wheels.
Sounds like its coming from the rear right side of the car

Wheel bearings don't whine... they kind of rumble. If it whines under acceleration
and gets louder and higher pitched as you speed up, it is most likely the crownwheel
and pinion. Crunching when you slow down means you most likely broke something
inside the differential. Take the car to a place that repairs diffs (4WD shops are
usually a good place to enquire) and have them check it out.

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

asnfro
Club4AG Regular

Postby asnfro » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:53 pm

thanks jondee. maybe it isn't actually a "crunchy" noise when i am off the gas. just a very slight peculiar noise. almost not noticable. i've taken the third member out and from what i can see the pinion and crown gears don't look too bad. still looks smooth. but yeah, it was very whiny on throttle at any speed past about 45mph. and the pinion seal was leaking when i bought the car. maybe the previous owner let the diff fluid get low at some point in time and the rear end was damaged somehow.

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:31 pm

OK. Make sure you check that the pinion bearings are not loose.
If the companion flange (the one that bolts to the driveshaft) can
be wriggled from side to side, or moved forward and back enough
that you can feel it move, or make it click, then the bearings have
lost their preload.

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

Toybrota
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Toybrota » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:08 pm

Well since Its an sr5 rear end Im just gonna hunt for a gts rear end :/
was hoping to do that later but it probably will cost about the same to get it repaired so why not upgrade

thanks for your advice. I'll inspect and see!