What things are considered a fanboy in the AE86 world

E_Money
Club4AG Enthusiast

What things are considered a fanboy in the AE86 world

Postby E_Money » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:47 pm

I want to know what everyone thinks or considers a "fanboy" when it comes to AE86. I bought a black 1986 GT-S and i thought about doing the whole zenki and panda look but it seems everyone and their mothers have that color scheme. I'm not trying to offend anyone if you have that color scheme, I think it's the best look for an 86 but I want to be a little different or original as possible. I contacted my local auto body shop and they said for a full restoration paint, it's going to be 8gs thats including striping the engine and interior out for me. If I striped it myself it would be 6gs, but they quoted me that price for a panda color scheme so I decided I won't do it cause it's a lot of $$$ so maybe I'll just pay 3gs for a fresh black gloss which black is the original color. Instead of zenki, I'll go with Kouki front and back and call it good cosmetic wise.

What I picture my car to look like:

Black gloss
Black 14" Watanabe RS rims
Kouki front
Kouki Back

Tora
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: What things are considered a fanboy in the AE86 world

Postby Tora » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:27 pm

I'd "just" spend those 3G's making my 27-year-old car mechanically sound, rather than fussing about how it looks. To my mind, you don't get much more fanboy than Watanabes and JDM bumpers (it screams TOFU), regardless of paint scheme and zenki/kouki styling.

E_Money
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby E_Money » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:52 am

Thanks Tora for your opinion. What parts do you consider to make the 4ag sound good?

Flipp
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Flipp » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:12 am

he said "mechanically sound" not as in making the motor sound good. lol
he was saying he would rather spend the money on getting the motor running good instead on worrying about what the car looks like.
"Life happens at the corners"

gotzoom?
Club4AG Expert

Postby gotzoom? » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:31 am

I say, build it how you want it. It's your car, so why worry about pleasing others? In the classic car space, you run into all kinds of personalities and it's impossible to please everyone. I completely agree with fixing the problems on it. You're sure to have a lot of maintenance issues to contend with, which are much more important than the car's appearance. Befor you go buying a bunch of "performance" parts, research what they supposedly do and decide whether you actually need them before plunking down your money. There are a lot of things that supposedly make the car "better" but really only add blingy purple anodized bits and extra weight.

HASport AE86
Club4AG Expert

Postby HASport AE86 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:50 pm

Black corolla crew! yay!

It's black corolla man, it's kinda a rare deal. If I were you I'd do a nice Black Limited route with it. Kouki bumpers and redline tail lights can never be wrong. Repaint it black. No messing with engine bay or door jams....and $8,000!??!?!? It's a corolla man lol. Flippin' S2000 swap for that much.

To me, a FanBoy is all on how you act (with the exception of tofu stickers, no dice on that). Lots of people have panda cars and rock them hard. I think a pet-peave of mine is when people refer to their corolla as a "hachi" or "hachiroku". It's just a newbie thing to me. Everytime I hear that I just get the mental image of a spray paint panda job on positive offset wheels and cut springs. It's okay to call it a corolla. No one outside of the corolla community has a clue what a japanese "eight" is anyways. Just doing inappropriate things makes you a fanboy. Stupid "drifts" out of parking lots, driving like an @ss in traffic, childish things.
SwangBiz Corolla Chassis Parts and F20/F22C/4AGE Wiring Services
(we build stuff, I solder wires, we race corollas, then we get drunk)

Proud Supporter of JSPfab.com, BattleGarage, and Solo8 LED Solutions

E_Money
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby E_Money » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:11 pm

thanks guys for all the feedback. Yeah my first priority of course is mechanic issues. I just have this huge debate of what I want to turn it into.

EJ86
Club4AG Expert

Postby EJ86 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:54 am

Don't forget your tunes:

E_Money wrote:Thanks Tora for your opinion. What parts do you consider to make the 4ag sound good?

Here's a start a Injen 3-piece inake setup:
-1985 Toyota Corolla GTS (2door)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/561054
-2004 Nissan Frontier (King Cab):
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3072528

Jeonsah
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jeonsah » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:56 am

There is nothing wrong with painting your car initial d style. It is the coolest looking one. All the old school hotversion AE86's were either white or panda style. So if your going to do it, just make sure its done right. Theres no fanboy in that.

The fanboy comes when you buy the car and you go drift it and crash it the same day. Dont listen to those people who tell you about fanboy "things" those people are just ppl who are going to flake out in the game later on. JDM bumpers with rs watanabe wheels is dope as hell. Screw what anyone else says! Do what your gut says!

ronny
Club4AG Expert

Postby ronny » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:18 am

i agree with Dan.

its all in the attitude =D

if someone calls this car fanboy, their pretty retarded:

nothing better then a 2 tone corolla on TE37s - with a 7pt bar =D gotta love it.

IF YOU DO IT 2 TONE - IF YOU DO NOT DO IT CORRECTLY - IT DOES NOT LOOK GOOD.. just FYI.. =D it must be to a T to get that authentic look. =D
Rays - Project Mu - TE37 club
BLUE MOON / CUSCO
AE86fightclub.com
PM me for Contact

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:44 am

E_Money wrote:I want to know what everyone thinks or considers a "fanboy" when it comes to AE86.

an AE86 :ugeek: :lol:
OST Cyl head porting, - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=300

Building a great engine takes knowing the end... before you begin :ugeek:

Enjoy Life... its the only one you get!

E_Money
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby E_Money » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:49 pm

Thanks guys. If I am going to to two tone it I'll probably get it professionally done.

yukesrevolver
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby yukesrevolver » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:15 pm

eh, just edit this since its a silly topic anyways. The concept of a fanboy is extremely subjective; that is its different things to different people. Do the usual things other 86 owners do? FANBOY! or...do stupid things F&F style? fanboy...I suppose. Just remember its your car. Do what you want, and more importantly, do a build that ultimately reflects your pride in the car. Others might not agree with where you go with it but who cares? Yes, the panda scheme is extremely popular. So? It looks amazing on these cars. if you like the panda scheme but wanna be 'different', try different color approaches. Mine happens to be 'bloody' panda, but there are numerous color schemes to run with that looks good. Yes, wat and other old school jdm dished wheels are everywhere on these cars....so? Its that way for a reason...it looks, again, amazing. Yes the JDM OEM bumpers are also popular...so? Guess what....well, you see where this is going.

Almost guaranteed if you go the beauty route first you'll eventually end up with one helluva beautiful lawn ornament. Make sure it runs, and runs good before turning to cosmetics. They're almost 30 years old after all.

It is also worth noting that the ae86 is a car that's great for getting some mechanical and cosmetic experience on your hands. They're not complex car's to work on, and with the wealth of information (that will be hopefully coming back) on these forums for resolving common issues, it can be easy to do these things yourself, and you eventually begin to learn how these, and other, cars work.

Those paint job quotes are insane...why not befriend someone in the auto paint industry and try to do the work yourself? i have a paint project scheduled in the near future and will take the opportunity to learn to do it myself, albeit very slowly, to make sure a novice like myself doesn't screw it up. I think the AE86 is a great car to learn the ropes on.

@jdm bumpers and wats are fanboy comment: hey, some things are the way they are because they just look the best. I suppose then, based on this logic, to NOT be a fanboy I should have bought instead some cheapo rip-off F&F style bumpers and put 18" blingers on the car? :lol: Some people get tired of the park-bench USDM bumper look, and OEM JDM bumpers for the ae86 happen to fit the car perfectly in terms of looks (hrrrm, wonder why?????).
85 GT-S Hatch (Bloody Panda)
87 SR-5 Coupe (white)

E_Money
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby E_Money » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:43 pm

yukesrevolver wrote:eh, just edit this since its a silly topic anyways. The concept of a fanboy is extremely subjective; that is its different things to different people. Do the usual things other 86 owners do? FANBOY! or...do stupid things F&F style? fanboy...I suppose. Just remember its your car. Do what you want, and more importantly, do a build that ultimately reflects your pride in the car. Others might not agree with where you go with it but who cares? Yes, the panda scheme is extremely popular. So? It looks amazing on these cars. if you like the panda scheme but wanna be 'different', try different color approaches. Mine happens to be 'bloody' panda, but there are numerous color schemes to run with that looks good. Yes, wat and other old school jdm dished wheels are everywhere on these cars....so? Its that way for a reason...it looks, again, amazing. Yes the JDM OEM bumpers are also popular...so? Guess what....well, you see where this is going.

Almost guaranteed if you go the beauty route first you'll eventually end up with one helluva beautiful lawn ornament. Make sure it runs, and runs good before turning to cosmetics. They're almost 30 years old after all.

It is also worth noting that the ae86 is a car that's great for getting some mechanical and cosmetic experience on your hands. They're not complex car's to work on, and with the wealth of information (that will be hopefully coming back) on these forums for resolving common issues, it can be easy to do these things yourself, and you eventually begin to learn how these, and other, cars work.

Those paint job quotes are insane...why not befriend someone in the auto paint industry and try to do the work yourself? i have a paint project scheduled in the near future and will take the opportunity to learn to do it myself, albeit very slowly, to make sure a novice like myself doesn't screw it up. I think the AE86 is a great car to learn the ropes on.

@jdm bumpers and wats are fanboy comment: hey, some things are the way they are because they just look the best. I suppose then, based on this logic, to NOT be a fanboy I should have bought instead some cheapo rip-off F&F style bumpers and put 18" blingers on the car? :lol: Some people get tired of the park-bench USDM bumper look, and OEM JDM bumpers for the ae86 happen to fit the car perfectly in terms of looks (hrrrm, wonder why?????).

yeah sounds true. Well i decided to stick with black and yes I will fix all mechanic issues first before doing the cosmetics. I think a black gloss gt-s with zenki bumpers wont be as bad. Maybe dark gold RS Watanabes.

HASport AE86
Club4AG Expert

Postby HASport AE86 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:42 am

E_Money wrote:yeah sounds true. Well i decided to stick with black and yes I will fix all mechanic issues first before doing the cosmetics. I think a black gloss gt-s with zenki bumpers wont be as bad. Maybe dark gold RS Watanabes.

Yeah! Once you go black you never go back 8-) Black corolla=cool kids

E_Money
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby E_Money » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:40 pm

HASport AE86 wrote:
E_Money wrote:yeah sounds true. Well i decided to stick with black and yes I will fix all mechanic issues first before doing the cosmetics. I think a black gloss gt-s with zenki bumpers wont be as bad. Maybe dark gold RS Watanabes.

Yeah! Once you go black you never go back 8-) Black corolla=cool kids

lmao. HAS do you mind posting a pic of youre car if its not troubling? I want to see the outcome when it's all done.

HASport AE86
Club4AG Expert

Postby HASport AE86 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:24 am

E_Money wrote:lmao. HAS do you mind posting a pic of youre car if its not troubling? I want to see the outcome when it's all done.

As it sits.

Hoping to have it finished next month in time to compete in the FRS/AE86 Series Extreme Speed Events is hosting.

ValiantPoe

Postby ValiantPoe » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:11 pm

Holy God, hasport, your valve cover is awesome..How did you get it like that?

HASport AE86
Club4AG Expert

Postby HASport AE86 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:19 am

ValiantPoe wrote:Holy God, hasport, your valve cover is awesome..How did you get it like that?

a few cans of spray paint and a lot of patience. I googled a bunch of TRD engines and thought they all looked like poo.

chohdog
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby chohdog » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:19 pm

I like how somebody pointed out "fanboy" is subjective. I'm a massive fanboy. I collect all AE86 models, die casts, have tons of DVD's and love initial D. I've also been with the car for 11 years, and drift/track the car once a month. Been doing that for 5-6 years.

In my opinion, the only negative thing you can do with an AE86 (or any car for that matter) is speak with like an authority on a subject matter you have no real experience with. If somebody asks what's a good track pad for R-compound tires, don't give your opinion and state "yeah but I run my car real hard on the street". If someone asks how much it will be to put ITB's on a 16v engine, don't reply with "dude I can do it for less than $500. Here is a picture of my parts. No they're not on the car yet and its not running and I haven't dyno tuned it but I know it can be done".

E_Money
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby E_Money » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:36 pm

HAS youre eight six looks amazing. You're engine valve covers are amazing.

Tora
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Tora » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:39 am

HASport, I was so transfixed by the sight of that beauty of an engine that I didn't notice that your wheel wells have been cut out. Are you welding in room for more angle?

HASport AE86
Club4AG Expert

Postby HASport AE86 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:30 pm

Tora wrote:HASport, I was so transfixed by the sight of that beauty of an engine that I didn't notice that your wheel wells have been cut out. Are you welding in room for more angle?

lol we're still talking about fanboys right? hahahhaha I'll make a build thread again soon for you guys.

But the wheel wells have been cut for angle clearance/weight as well as the rear speaker deck lid inside has been cut out with one of our prototype strut bars installed. I'm planning on running the FRS/AE86 challenge this year as well as a few drift events, so I'm looking to be under 1900lbs. Gotta remember how to grip drive again, spent too many years sliding. It's more fun but beating a new $30k FRS with a sh!tbox corolla is better, who knows maybe club4ag will focus on 4AG's again instead of the FRS :roll:

Jeonsah
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jeonsah » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:18 pm

HASport AE86 wrote:who knows maybe club4ag will focus on 4AG's again instead of the FRS :roll:

I feel this...

E_Money
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby E_Money » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:39 pm

i really hope so

idreamofdrifting
Club4AG MASTER

Postby idreamofdrifting » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:49 pm

Yup. It's your 86. Do with it what you please. And at the end of the day, if someone calls you a fanboy still, tell 'em thanks! May you have an 86 life!

mikeyee
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby mikeyee » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:35 am

fanboy (in mikeyee's terms) and in no order

-train handle toys
-fujiwara tofu shop stickers
-sticker bombed stuffs
-dangling tow hook toy things
-tons of aftermarket goodies (suspension/engine) yet still stock seat
-harness bars
-5 pt harness and stock seat
-"no fat chicks" stickers
-"I <3 MY AE86" stickers
-stock exhaust piping, ebay fart can muffler tip
-the look they carry and how they talk comes off as trying too hard to impress everyone at a meet
-worry about post count
-spend more time on interwebnets contemplating their next purchase/"move" on their car, or getting into internet arguments over irrelevant stupid **** instead of working on their car or driving. (me, ahahhahaha)
-talk how glorious the ae86 is and how it's better than 240sx, rx7's, etc.
-stress over tumblr likes
-those that **** talk on non-toyota engine swaps
-non functioning guages
-worry about whose fanboy and whose not

... i'll think of more later. a bit tipsty hahaah.

but whats it matter whose considered fan boy? what does it matter to you?

oh. i actually went ahead and reread the original post. damn OP. why not do the panda look? if its what you like, it's what you like. why let faceless people tell you otherwise on what to do?

i mean, heck. look at japan. more than half the stuff i see over there makes me scratch my head. and a lot of thw stuff that makes me seriously go wtf! but seeing their owners, they dont give a ****. they do what they like. and often enough, they pull off some really impressive ****.

some examples of japanese not giving a ****:

these guys take the cake, D-MAGIC
http://mikeyee.tumblr.com/post/25777194347

but another note, i don't mean to hold japan in a really high regard. a lot of the forums i've seen from across the ocean have hteir share of people sharing their "suggestions" of whats missing or something. im not fluent enough, and hte translator doesnt do a good job at picking up the tone they use. so im not sure what would be considered shling **** or not.

E_Money
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby E_Money » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:11 am

mikeyee wrote:
but whats it matter whose considered fan boy? what does it matter to you?

Im new to toyotas and I dont want to follow a trend. Not that I could care less if its fanboy or not but I want to build a project differently.

HASport AE86
Club4AG Expert

Postby HASport AE86 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:32 am

E_Money wrote:
Im new to toyotas and I dont want to follow a trend. Not that I could care less if its fanboy or not but I want to build a project differently.

I think different is one thing, useful is another. Seen a lot of people doing things for the sake of being different with engine swaps, just makes me laugh. Don't always try to reinvent the wheel. If it's a good mod, do it, if you can improve it even better. I think that is what really makes someone a fanboy in all honesty. Wasting time and money on things that serve no purpose or contradict each other or are miles ahead of other things that should be done to the car first. N2 wide body kit on a car that barely runs, brand new TRD whaletail on a car with 4 different sized tires, V8 swap on a car with stock suspension. Its like watching someone build a house and spend 75% of the money on the swimming pool in the back while you have to sh!t in a bucket inside the house.

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:17 pm

HASport AE86 wrote:It's more fun but beating a new $30k FRS with a sh!tbox corolla is better, who knows maybe club4ag will focus on 4AG's again instead of the FRS :roll:

:mrgreen:
OST Cyl head porting, - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=300

Building a great engine takes knowing the end... before you begin :ugeek:

Enjoy Life... its the only one you get!