Brake Woes

ogdougynutty
Club4AG Enthusiast

Brake Woes

Postby ogdougynutty » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:18 pm

Ok, so im replacing all the rotors and pads on my car (86 corolla gts) so disk brakes front and back. I bought stop tech rotors and have a set of hawk hps pads and the damn things won't fit lol.

I replaced the the right rear rotor and put the brake pads in, then putting caliper back on and the brake pads hit the CASTING, so don't even ask if i pressed the piston because i can't even get to that point.

I have triple checked everything and all the part numbers are correct. I am completely lost on this, has anyone ran into this before? The only thing i can think of is to sand down the pad material, i have a belt sander and can keep it flat, but i don't really want to do that.

jondee86

Re: Brake Woes

Postby jondee86 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:09 pm

Read this...
E-brake Adjustment for GT-S Rear Axle - DIY by assassin10000

Take note of the part about winding the piston back in to reset
the e-brake self adjuster.

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

ogdougynutty
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby ogdougynutty » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:21 pm

I will give that a try, I'm pretty sure that will help. But i think i have to get my rotors turned. They are .03 thicker than the stock rotors, along with the new pads they hit the caliper casting before it even gets to the piston.

I put the new pads on with the old rotors and they barely just hit the piston and that e-brake adjustment would work.

ogdougynutty
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby ogdougynutty » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:38 pm

Also just checked the thickness of my rotors to the FSM standard thickness and it is a little bit thicker than that. So I'm going to get them turned

gotzoom?
Club4AG Expert

Postby gotzoom? » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:38 am

If you retract the pistons fully, everything should fit. I run Hawk pads and they don't require any mods to get them to fit. If the pads have a little raised bump, it needs to fit into the matching indentation on the piston to stop the piston from turning. Make sure that lines up, as well. That's why he makes the note on lining things up in this picture.