Value of parts?

Driftslut
Club4AG Regular

Value of parts?

Postby Driftslut » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:22 pm

So I'm new to the AE86 scene, and I'm debating going with carbs just to be different. What's the going rate for a complete T-VIS intake, engine wiring harness, and ECU? I've got a set of nearly new Yamaha R1 carbs and an MSD ignition, and I'm trying to raise funds for an intake manifold and the other odds and ends for the carb conversion. What's this stuff worth? Thanks.

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Re: Value of parts?

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:45 pm

If you want to be different why not do something actually unique, progressive or unusual?
Hell around here it would be more different to run your stock TB.
Tell us more about your setup. If you have an SR5 and are switching to 4AG then it can be somewhat practical to go with carbs but I still think it's a silly idea. EFI is better in every conceivable way.
If you already have EFI and are considering getting rid of it then compare it to throwing away your computer and replacing it with a calculator and a typewriter and ask yourself if you would do that just to be different.

Driftslut
Club4AG Regular

Postby Driftslut » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:51 pm

How many people on this board run individual carbs per cylinder instead of the usual dual Webber setup? I completely understand the pros and cons of efi vs carbs, and carbs is the direction I have chosen. Every car I've ever owned has been efi, and it's time for a change.

ogdougynutty
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby ogdougynutty » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:29 pm

yoshimitsuspeed wrote:EFI is better in every conceivable way.

Yup, nothing beats a well designed plenum. But with carbs you can make ALMOST the same amount of power and, if you are handy enough, it can be cheaper.

I will say this, R1 carbs are crap, the intake you have to make for them to work is worthless.

Driftslut
Club4AG Regular

Postby Driftslut » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:35 pm

Let's not turn this into an EFI vs Carbs debate here. Please respect my decision to go with carbs as it is my car and will be built to my tastes. I'd merely like to know what the parts I listed are valued at. Thanks.

totta crolla
Club4AG Pro

Postby totta crolla » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:59 am

I guess it depends where in the World you are, certainly in the U.K the wiring harness would be the most valuable of the parts you listed followed by the inlet with TPS then the ecu.
Total value in U.K Pounds would be approx. £120 or about 190 U.S Dollar for everything listed.
If the engine is a 4age running on injection FSE make a fuel regulator that will go direct from injection to carb pressure:
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performan ... conversion

ToeKnee805
Club4AG Expert

Postby ToeKnee805 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:47 pm

If the manifold comes compelte with Throttle body, TPS, EGR, cold start injector, and the TVIS comes with complete vacuum lines and actuator, I would value it at like 130-150. The ecu probably no more than 35 bucks, and the harness for the engine usually goes for 100 bucks
1986 Corolla GT-S -- Unmolested -- Now Resto Project
1985 Corolla GT-S -- Turbo Levin Track Car
1982 Corolla 1.8 -- Sitting collecting dust