4age oil leak, new and need advice

ForeverSideways

4age oil leak, new and need advice

Postby ForeverSideways » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:41 pm

I recently purchased an ae86 with a 4age 16v and am new to working on this engine. After prolonged driving I have noticed oil pooling up in the spark plug valley, specifically around the rear two plugs. I have changed the spark plug wires and seals, and have checked to make sure the valve cover seals are still intact. I have also observed a slight leak coming from the rear right hand side of the engine, behind the exhaust manifold. I am hoping this isn't a blown head gasket, thoughts?

ToeKnee805
Club4AG Expert

Re: 4age oil leak, new and need advice

Postby ToeKnee805 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:52 pm

try changing the gasket oring on the oil cap. Mine was leaking from there
1986 Corolla GT-S -- Unmolested -- Now Resto Project
1985 Corolla GT-S -- Turbo Levin Track Car
1982 Corolla 1.8 -- Sitting collecting dust

gotzoom?
Club4AG Expert

Postby gotzoom? » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:19 am

Valve cover gaskets probably also need replacing.

-zenki-
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby -zenki- » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:13 pm

ForeverSideways wrote: I have also observed a slight leak coming from the rear right hand side of the engine, behind the exhaust manifold. I am hoping this isn't a blown head gasket, thoughts?

gotzoom? wrote:Valve cover gaskets probably also need replacing.

Big chance it's just the valve cover gaskets like gotzoom said. No need to panic just yet. It could be dripping down the block making it seem as if the headgasket is leaking.
FLAWLESS VICTORY

allencr
Club4AG Expert

Postby allencr » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:52 am

ForeverSideways wrote: I am hoping this isn't a blown head gasket, thoughts?

It may have a blown headgasket, it may not, how's it running & what's the compression?
The oil is simply a leak or spill and is never any kind of a sign of any other trouble on this or any other engine that I know of.

Grant
Club4AG Expert

Postby Grant » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:28 pm

ForeverSideways wrote:I recently purchased an ae86 with a 4age 16v and am new to working on this engine. After prolonged driving I have noticed oil pooling up in the spark plug valley, specifically around the rear two plugs. I have changed the spark plug wires and seals, and have checked to make sure the valve cover seals are still intact. I have also observed a slight leak coming from the rear right hand side of the engine, behind the exhaust manifold. I am hoping this isn't a blown head gasket, thoughts?

I had this exact same problem and it was the camshaft cover gaskets. First check to see that the nuts on the camshaft covers are torqued to the correct spec (about 9 to 12 ft/lbs so not much). If it still leaks then you need to change the camshaft cover gaskets. It's really easy to do and not an expensive part. I really think that should solve your problem.

If oil is leaking onto the block below the head... that's a different story. Anyway, good luck.