Black Oil in my radiator and radiator reserve tank?!?

jayb33c33

Black Oil in my radiator and radiator reserve tank?!?

Postby jayb33c33 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:26 pm

So, I took my car in to get a tune up because it seemed like the timing was way off. And also got an oil change since I was already there. I come to pick up my car and they tell me that my car was running rich and the timing couldn't get fixed completely because it would need a new timing belt etc.. They also told me that there was a little bit of oil resting ontop of the coolant in the radiator. I drive for about maybe less than 20 miles and I find out that the radiator and radiator reserve tank has black oil on top. What can cause this? What can I do? Is it worth it to fix or should I just save up for a new engine? It's a 1986 corolla SR5 so maybe it's time I'd upgrade the motor. The problem is that finding a complete engine is really hard to find...

davew7
Club4AG Expert

Re: Black Oil in my radiator and radiator reserve tank?!?

Postby davew7 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:26 am

In all likelihood you have a bad head gasket. The shop should have done a compression check, a 5 minute check!!!! Dave W

Resurrected
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Resurrected » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:40 am

A compression test is not the preferred method to test for a blown head gasket. Does the car have an automatic transmission? If so there's a chance the radiator is damaged internally allowing ATF to mix with the coolant. If it has a manual transmission then as davew7 said it is likely a blown head gasket.
L1 Master technician
Back from the grave!

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:47 pm

A compression test is a great first test if you suspect a HG. It's just not going to tell you everything.
If there is only a leak between a coolant passage and an oil passage then the compression will test fine.
You could pressurize the coolant system overnight and see if it drops and if it does see if it pushed a bunch of coolant into the oil.
A HG can leak between oil passages, coolant passages, the cylinders and atmosphere it can leak between any two of these or any multiple combinations of these so you need to test for all of them.

jayb33c33

Postby jayb33c33 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:54 pm

It's a manual transmission. Too bad I can't try any of the stuff you guys are suggesting. (I'm not that mechanically inclined to do that kind of stuff myself) I might just have to wait until I find a new engine...

allencr
Club4AG Expert

Postby allencr » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:15 pm

Drain the coolant, run it for a while with some flush or TSP or detergent & water, then refill.
Keep driving till it dies, of course it'll need spark plugs & oil & some other maintenance while doing this.

jayb33c33 wrote:...it seemed like the timing was way off. ...couldn't get fixed completely because it would need a new timing belt etc..

You don't have a clue about an engine, they've lied about the timing & belt, so find someone - anyone else.