Tire size questions.

Ae86-George
Club4AG Regular
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:19 pm

Tire size questions.

Postby Ae86-George » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:49 pm

So I kind of want to turn this is to a thread where everybody posts their wheel and tire setup. As well as suspension.
My question is what is the biggest tire you can fit under an AE86 (mine is an SR5) with stock suspension.
And what about if you have a 1-2" lowering kit.
Wheel offset and info appreciated.
Anybody running RPF1's?

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.


User avatar
Moto_Club4AG
Club4AG Enthusiast
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:26 am

Tire size questions.

Postby Moto_Club4AG » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:19 pm

We've seen tires as large as 225/35-18 installed on AE86's. Offsets will much depend on fenders, alignments, and details.

But best handling on track is achieved with 15x8 or 14x7.5 or so wheels with corresponding tire sizes at about 195~205 widths. Larger wheels or lower profile tires tend to aggravate the issues of archaic suspension, and increase unsprung weight.

RPF1 in 15x8" I've used before, custom made at +10 offset, using 5mm spacer in rear, and 195/50-15. But I still prefer classic wheels on AE86's like SSR's and Hayashi CR.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Happy Motoring!

Moto Miwa - Founder, Club4AG

Ae86-George
Club4AG Regular
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:19 pm

Re: Tire size questions.

Postby Ae86-George » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:38 pm

Moto-P wrote:We've seen tires as large as 225/35-18 installed on AE86's. Offsets will much depend on fenders, alignments, and details.

But best handling on track is achieved with 15x8 or 14x7.5 or so wheels with corresponding tire sizes at about 195~205 widths. Larger wheels or lower profile tires tend to aggravate the issues of archaic suspension, and increase unsprung weight.

RPF1 in 15x8" I've used before, custom made at +10 offset, using 5mm spacer in rear, and 195/50-15. But I still prefer classic wheels on AE86's like SSR's and Hayashi CR.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What if I put 225's in the back and 205's in the front?
I have a set of celica supra wheels I am considering using.

User avatar
Moto_Club4AG
Club4AG Enthusiast
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:26 am

Re: Tire size questions.

Postby Moto_Club4AG » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:10 pm

Is this for actual track balance or for visual effects? If track how much power are we sending to tires and what sort of Motorsports will you partake in? All of those matter to select the best balance and budgets


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Happy Motoring!

Moto Miwa - Founder, Club4AG

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.


Ae86-George
Club4AG Regular
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:19 pm

Re: Tire size questions.

Postby Ae86-George » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:29 pm

Moto-P wrote:Is this for actual track balance or for visual effects? If track how much power are we sending to tires and what sort of Motorsports will you partake in? All of those matter to select the best balance and budgets


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I mean I like to have a nice look. But it's mostly for performance. I am not looking to drift it as much as just have a good handling street car to take to the track. I am building a 4age turbo and plan to be making about 250whp.

User avatar
Moto_Club4AG
Club4AG Enthusiast
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:26 am

Re: Tire size questions.

Postby Moto_Club4AG » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:18 am

Then 205/50-15 or something of that nature in diameter and width and with preferred construction and compound should suffice fora nicely balanced car. You can go larger for more grip but that also aggravate the issues of old archaic suspension and frame of AE86 too. That's about as narrow as I can answer really till things get more specific


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Happy Motoring!

Moto Miwa - Founder, Club4AG

Ae86-George
Club4AG Regular
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:19 pm

Re: Tire size questions.

Postby Ae86-George » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:26 am

Moto-P wrote:Then 205/50-15 or something of that nature in diameter and width and with preferred construction and compound should suffice fora nicely balanced car. You can go larger for more grip but that also aggravate the issues of old archaic suspension and frame of AE86 too. That's about as narrow as I can answer really till things get more specific


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I appreciate it.

Ae86-George
Club4AG Regular
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:19 pm

Re: Tire size questions.

Postby Ae86-George » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:45 am

Moto-P wrote:Then 205/50-15 or something of that nature in diameter and width and with preferred construction and compound should suffice fora nicely balanced car. You can go larger for more grip but that also aggravate the issues of old archaic suspension and frame of AE86 too. That's about as narrow as I can answer really till things get more specific


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would the +10 offset work with those?

User avatar
Moto_Club4AG
Club4AG Enthusiast
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:26 am

Re: Tire size questions.

Postby Moto_Club4AG » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:26 am

That depends on the wheel size. But generally, on stock fenders, it should accommodate it on +10 at 15x7's


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Happy Motoring!

Moto Miwa - Founder, Club4AG

Ae86-George
Club4AG Regular
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:19 pm

Re: Tire size questions.

Postby Ae86-George » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:01 pm

Moto-P wrote:That depends on the wheel size. But generally, on stock fenders, it should accommodate it on +10 at 15x7's


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay. I am either going to run stock fenders or a very slight fender flare. Like maybe a little smaller than a mk2 supra flare.

Ae86-George
Club4AG Regular
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:19 pm

Re: Tire size questions.

Postby Ae86-George » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:18 pm

So I want to lower the car an inch or two with some coil overs.
Do you think the 15X7 with +10 and 205/50/15's will still clear?

BlueDeathTrap
Club4AG Regular
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:18 am

Re: Tire size questions.

Postby BlueDeathTrap » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:41 pm

Moto-P wrote:We've seen tires as large as 225/35-18 installed on AE86's. Offsets will much depend on fenders, alignments, and details.


That's been stepped up Moto, 265/35/18 now on 10.5s, 255/35/17 up front. Largest I've seen so far, but lots of work done to the car so it's not applicable to 99.9% of the cars on here.

http://www.speedhunters.com/2014/09/v8-hachi-rockin-the-angriest-86-ever/

George, they should clear, I ran L-types with 195/50 and 205/50, so 15x6 +20 offset, factory arms and PS knuckles with PS rack, rubbed the frame rail to a shine but that's about it. Yours will have a bit more clearance, and you'll be higher than mine (Tokico HTS, highest point is slammed, lowest point is minitruckin')

Ae86-George
Club4AG Regular
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:19 pm

Re: Tire size questions.

Postby Ae86-George » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:06 pm

BlueDeathTrap wrote:
Moto-P wrote:We've seen tires as large as 225/35-18 installed on AE86's. Offsets will much depend on fenders, alignments, and details.


That's been stepped up Moto, 265/35/18 now on 10.5s, 255/35/17 up front. Largest I've seen so far, but lots of work done to the car so it's not applicable to 99.9% of the cars on here.

http://www.speedhunters.com/2014/09/v8-hachi-rockin-the-angriest-86-ever/

George, they should clear, I ran L-types with 195/50 and 205/50, so 15x6 +20 offset, factory arms and PS knuckles with PS rack, rubbed the frame rail to a shine but that's about it. Yours will have a bit more clearance, and you'll be higher than mine (Tokico HTS, highest point is slammed, lowest point is minitruckin')

Okay cool. Yeah it won't quite be slammed. Just looking for a nice Lowe center of gravity.

User avatar
Moto_Club4AG
Club4AG Enthusiast
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:26 am

Re: Tire size questions.

Postby Moto_Club4AG » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:41 pm

Ae86-George wrote:
BlueDeathTrap wrote:
Moto-P wrote:We've seen tires as large as 225/35-18 installed on AE86's. Offsets will much depend on fenders, alignments, and details.


That's been stepped up Moto, 265/35/18 now on 10.5s, 255/35/17 up front. Largest I've seen so far, but lots of work done to the car so it's not applicable to 99.9% of the cars on here.

http://www.speedhunters.com/2014/09/v8-hachi-rockin-the-angriest-86-ever/

George, they should clear, I ran L-types with 195/50 and 205/50, so 15x6 +20 offset, factory arms and PS knuckles with PS rack, rubbed the frame rail to a shine but that's about it. Yours will have a bit more clearance, and you'll be higher than mine (Tokico HTS, highest point is slammed, lowest point is minitruckin')

Okay cool. Yeah it won't quite be slammed. Just looking for a nice Lowe center of gravity.


I meant for stock fenders... Given modded fenders you can fit monster truck tires if for the sake of argument.. @bluedeathtrap


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Happy Motoring!

Moto Miwa - Founder, Club4AG

Ae86-George
Club4AG Regular
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:19 pm

Re: Tire size questions.

Postby Ae86-George » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:12 am

I found a set of 15x8 rota's with 0 offset.
This with a 205/50/15?

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER
Posts: 2084
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:18 pm
Contact:

Re: Tire size questions.

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:46 am

From a performance standpoint 205 is too narrow.
205 should really go on a 6"-7" wheel.

Deuce Cam
Posts: 1347
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:41 pm
Location: AZ

Re: Tire size questions.

Postby Deuce Cam » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:09 pm

It will work as long as you can find someone to mount them who isn't worried about liability (205's are really only meant for up to 7j wheels according to manufacturers). Lots of people do this but I don't recommend it.

Generally speaking 225's are great on an 8j wheel for a nice square profile, but unfortunately it won't work on a corolla without a ton of work.

BlueDeathTrap
Club4AG Regular
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:18 am

Re: Tire size questions.

Postby BlueDeathTrap » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:57 pm

I don't know what you guys are running for tires, but my 205s fit just fine (minimal to no stretch whatsoever) on my 8.5s. Hell, my 225/50s fit square on my 10s. Depends on the tire itself and it's construction, as there are variables between manufacturers. Personally, I'd use the 205s, especially since it's nearly impossible to find anything wider that isn't R compound or the like nowadays (there are 3 street tires made in 225/50, 1 in 225/45, and maybe 3 in 215, and they're vanishing faster than you can imagine).

Another option may be to run something a bit larger in diameter to gain tire options since 15s are rapidly shrinking in the market, lightweight 16 inch wheels will open up a huge range of tire options, and even sticking with something on the narrower side like 7" will allow you to have a much better chance of finding a set of tires that will let your car really shine. With the right offset or proper spacers you should also not have any rubbing issues, but I'll leave that to Moto since he's run them before and can chime in on that particular course of action.

Deuce Cam
Posts: 1347
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:41 pm
Location: AZ

Re: Tire size questions.

Postby Deuce Cam » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:03 pm

^Just going by approved wheel widths from tire manufacturers.

It's a debatable topic, lots of people exceed the recommended wheel width for a given tire and don't have any issues.

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER
Posts: 2084
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:18 pm
Contact:

Re: Tire size questions.

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:58 pm

BlueDeathTrap
What tires are you running and what is their recommended wheel width?

Ae86-George
Club4AG Regular
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:19 pm

Re: Tire size questions.

Postby Ae86-George » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:44 pm

Deuce Cam wrote:It will work as long as you can find someone to mount them who isn't worried about liability (205's are really only meant for up to 7j wheels according to manufacturers). Lots of people do this but I don't recommend it.

Generally speaking 225's are great on an 8j wheel for a nice square profile, but unfortunately it won't work on a corolla without a ton of work.


Would a 225 work in the back?
Considering a staggered setup. Since I let my tuning buddy loose on coming up with an engine build I'm looking at allot closer to 300whp. And don't know if the 205's would cut it.

Ae86-George
Club4AG Regular
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:19 pm

Re: Tire size questions.

Postby Ae86-George » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:51 pm

I also found a set of Rota 15X7's I fell in love with.
But they are +12 offset and I'm worried about clearing suspension.

Toy86
Club4AG Enthusiast
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:19 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ

Re: Tire size questions.

Postby Toy86 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:30 am

I'm running 15x7 0 offset Konig Rewinds with General Exclaim 195-50-15(No Longer Available) with T3 coilovers.
These tires that i'm running now are a hard compound rubber tire so they can last longer. I've AutoX them twice, and they are no good slip and slide to much even when i do air pressure adjustments.

I'm going to get myself a second set of rims some 15x8 0 or some -number offset and run some Toyo Proxes R1R, but haven't decided if to either run 225/45/15, or 205/50/15, i don't want to stretch them to much due to the harsh environment i'm going to put them through.
I might also run some Falken AZENIS RT615K 205/50R15 if they're not to stretched.

Or i just might reverse everything and use the 15x7 with a good soft racing tire, and use the 15x8 with a stretch tire for shows and cruising only. As you can see from this thread, the options are many.

I'll take some pics of my set-up when i get back home which should be in a few weeks.

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER
Posts: 2084
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:18 pm
Contact:

Re: Tire size questions.

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:53 am

Toy86 wrote:I'm running 15x7 0 offset Konig Rewinds with General Exclaim 195-50-15(No Longer Available) with T3 coilovers.
These tires that i'm running now are a hard compound rubber tire so they can last longer. I've AutoX them twice, and they are no good slip and slide to much even when i do air pressure adjustments.

I'm going to get myself a second set of rims some 15x8 0 or some -number offset and run some Toyo Proxes R1R, but haven't decided if to either run 225/45/15, or 205/50/15, i don't want to stretch them to much due to the harsh environment i'm going to put them through.
I might also run some Falken AZENIS RT615K 205/50R15 if they're not to stretched.

Or i just might reverse everything and use the 15x7 with a good soft racing tire, and use the 15x8 with a stretch tire for shows and cruising only. As you can see from this thread, the options are many.

I'll take some pics of my set-up when i get back home which should be in a few weeks.


Why wouldn't you run the 205s on your 7" rims?

I have 205 RT615s on my 15x6.5 rims and it's a great setup.

Deuce Cam
Posts: 1347
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:41 pm
Location: AZ

Re: Tire size questions.

Postby Deuce Cam » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:43 pm

Ae86-George wrote:Would a 225 work in the back?
Considering a staggered setup. Since I let my tuning buddy loose on coming up with an engine build I'm looking at allot closer to 300whp. And don't know if the 205's would cut it.


It might with a fender roll/pull. Also depends on spring stifness and how low your are.

A couple years ago I bought some used 15x7 +0 rewinds that were previously on a 240. The rear tires were 225/60/15. I gave them a whirl. I had 4k springs in the back and suspension was lowered about 1.5" - it rubbed over bumps with just me in the car (stock unmodified fenders).

BlueDeathTrap
Club4AG Regular
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:18 am

Re: Tire size questions.

Postby BlueDeathTrap » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:21 pm

yoshimitsuspeed wrote:BlueDeathTrap
What tires are you running and what is their recommended wheel width?


Fronts: Some ancient Nankangs I had laying around, no idea on recommended.
Rears: Falken Zeix 912s IIRC, recommended wheel width is 8" iirc.

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER
Posts: 2084
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:18 pm
Contact:

Re: Tire size questions.

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:31 pm

BlueDeathTrap wrote:
yoshimitsuspeed wrote:BlueDeathTrap
What tires are you running and what is their recommended wheel width?


Fronts: Some ancient Nankangs I had laying around, no idea on recommended.
Rears: Falken Zeix 912s IIRC, recommended wheel width is 8" iirc.


ZX 912 205/50 and 55/ 15 approved rim width 6.5, Recommended rim width 5.5-7.5 Tread width 7.2.

http://www.monro.com/datasheets/Falken-Ziex-ZE-912.pdf

BlueDeathTrap
Club4AG Regular
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:18 am

Re: Tire size questions.

Postby BlueDeathTrap » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:14 pm

yoshimitsuspeed wrote:
BlueDeathTrap wrote:
yoshimitsuspeed wrote:BlueDeathTrap
What tires are you running and what is their recommended wheel width?


Fronts: Some ancient Nankangs I had laying around, no idea on recommended.
Rears: Falken Zeix 912s IIRC, recommended wheel width is 8" iirc.


ZX 912 205/50 and 55/ 15 approved rim width 6.5, Recommended rim width 5.5-7.5 Tread width 7.2.

http://www.monro.com/datasheets/Falken-Ziex-ZE-912.pdf


These are 225/50/15 on 15x10 -somethingsilly 5 lug Ansen Slots. Fronts are 205/50 on 15x8.5 -retardednegativeoffset Centerline Auto Drags.

I'm still debating keeping this setup or moving to 17s for the tire selection.

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER
Posts: 2084
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:18 pm
Contact:

Re: Tire size questions.

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:22 pm

Oh, I thought we were talking about the 205s.
225s are approved up to 8" rim.

Toy86
Club4AG Enthusiast
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:19 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ

Re: Tire size questions.

Postby Toy86 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:58 am

yoshimitsuspeed wrote:
Why wouldn't you run the 205s on your 7" rims?

I have 205 RT615s on my 15x6.5 rims and it's a great setup.



Thanks for that advice; I might do that as well. The reason why i haven't done that yet, is cuz the 15x7 tires are still good in condition.

That's why i want to get a second set of rims. I might just run the next auto x season with these crap tires so i can burn them up and get some nicer tires for the 15x7.

I don't know we'll see, this is the problem with Wheels and Tires, they're so many options and combinations.

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.



Return to “TECH: Corolla AE86”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 6 guests