Tire size questions.

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Re: Tire size questions.

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:18 am

Toy86 wrote:
yoshimitsuspeed wrote:
Why wouldn't you run the 205s on your 7" rims?

I have 205 RT615s on my 15x6.5 rims and it's a great setup.

Thanks for that advice; I might do that as well. The reason why i haven't done that yet, is cuz the 15x7 tires are still good in condition.

That's why i want to get a second set of rims. I might just run the next auto x season with these crap tires so i can burn them up and get some nicer tires for the 15x7.

I don't know we'll see, this is the problem with Wheels and Tires, they're so many options and combinations.

There are a lot of options. For higher levels of racing people will try as many of those combinations as possible on the same track to see which is fastest around it. Even then you need to play with all the other variables to be accurate. One may do better at 32 PSI but another might be better than that at 28 PSI but worse than that at 32 PSI. Then you really need to try them on different tracks because one might be better on one and another might be better on others.
Short of that you can just make an educated guess. Generally a little stretch is considered to be a little better for performance and handling but this has been taken to the extreme of people thinking that if a 205 handles better on a 7" rim than a 6" rim that it must handle way better on a 12" rim.
Personally and generally speaking I don't believe in going bigger than the manufacturers recommendation. I won't pretend to think I know more than a tire manufacturer about what their tire will perform best on.
If you are curious about what the manufacturer recommends you can look up the specs on them. Tire rack is awesome because they list this info in the specs. Unfortunately with a tire like the Falkens that they don't carry I had to look up the specs elsewhere.