headgaskets

aukword1
Club4AG Expert

headgaskets

Postby aukword1 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:24 pm

Anyone try the cometic headgaskets from ebay? I want to get my whole head rebuilt on a 16v and i heard the trd one is pretty good...anyone recommend a good one? Was leaning towards hks since wverything else in the head is hks but just looking to see if anyone has some input

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Re: headgaskets

Postby oldeskewltoy » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:12 pm

metal headgasket require 2 very good mating surfaces. The head is often times fresh, but frequently the block is still in the car, and the blocks surface isn't clean and true enough for a metal gasket... so they can leak. Metal headgaskets seal their best with 2 fresh surfaces to seal
OST Cyl head porting, - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=300

Building a great engine takes knowing the end... before you begin :ugeek:

Enjoy Life... its the only one you get!

MtLemmon86
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby MtLemmon86 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:29 pm

oldeskewltoy wrote:metal headgasket require 2 very good mating surfaces. The head is often times fresh, but frequently the block is still in the car, and the blocks surface isn't clean and true enough for a metal gasket... so they can leak. Metal headgaskets seal their best with 2 fresh surfaces to seal

Stole the words out of my mouth, unless it's a fresh build that calls for it a traditional gasket will be your best bet, as for recommended brands I am at a loss being new to to the corolla game myself.

aukword1
Club4AG Expert

Postby aukword1 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:12 pm

well i plan on having the block decked and the head decked as well so the mating surfaces would be legit...I'm just looking for experience with brands, like is there one that someone has tried and used that was very good for them etc...

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:39 pm

Cometic is a great brand but as said you want to make sure the surface prep meets their requirements.
http://www.cometic.com/technical.aspx

I have them on my site. You can pic the thickness you want.
http://www.matrixgarage.com/products/co ... ead-gasket

HKS is only still available in 1.6mm and 2mm so completely useless unless for some reason you had to deck the block more than .8mm.

davew7
Club4AG Expert

Postby davew7 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:45 am

I have had very old results using the FEL-PRO head gaskets. Has a crush dim of 1.2mm P/N 9661 PT
Also look at the FEL-PRO exhaust header gasket, P/N MS92939. If you are doing any bottom end work, the 2pc sump gasket set works very good on these old distorted oil pans. The two pc gasket set FEL-PRO P/N 2-92981.
Last see if you can find FEL-PRO Hi-temp Anti-seize P/N C5-a; for coating the exhaust gasket. It will actually allow you to remove the header after running for several years.
For the rest of the engine gaskets you can pretty well use whatever you can get the best price on, while using a sealer.
Dave W

burdickjp
Club4AG Expert

Postby burdickjp » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:20 am

The OEM gasket set has EVERYTHING and is not expensive. There's no guessing game there.
Pursuing the ideal

allencr
Club4AG Expert

Postby allencr » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:42 pm

I'd be very surprised if any claim of HG failure was actually because of the manufacturer and not the installer!