Ae86 4agze starting issues

neko-romancer
Club4AG Regular

Ae86 4agze starting issues

Postby neko-romancer » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:18 am

I am new to the Toyota /86 scene, and recently purchased an 86 gts with a supercharged AE 101 4agze with:
HKS 254 cams
Apexi SAFC
Toda Adjustable cam gears
Greddy DD exhaust
Mitsubishi starion intercooler

Any way the car had been sitting for a long time, and the previous owner stated that the car only needed a new fuel pump ( which I knew wasn't all it needed but proceeded to purchase it anyway). I would really like to go through the entire engine and refresh most of the car, but I think it would be better to at least drive it first, so I know what areas need work :( .

After dropping the fuel tank, cleaning it, flushing all the rotten gas out of the lines, and installing the knock off fuel pump the previous owner provided( which immediately burned up, and I now have a walboro installed), the car still would not start. I then read up on the forum and thought it might be the fpr, and after taking off the fpr which was seized, I installed a new fpr from Oreilly's ( supposedly for the standard gts 4age which takes some brass fittings to get it to work). All the vacuum lines seem to be fine, and fuel is arriving to the rail at a very high pressure ( yet the fuel pressure gauge seems to still read 0 .. Might be broken). I've also replaced all the spark plugs with denso platinum's. Yet the car still will not start. It will turn over and start running for about a second and then turn off. When I have someone spray gas into the intake it will run a little longer but will eventually die.

The previous owner has an Apexi SAFC installed which I don't have any idea how to use( there is a write up/ manual on Wiki How but it requires that the car be running). I think I Might try disconnecting the SAFC, and seeing if it will run then, but I don't know how wise of a decision that would be. Would the ecu just revert back to stock setup if I disconnected the piggyback? There isn't a tuner for probably like 200 miles so if I broke something its gonna be my noobish self that has to figure it out.
Any way help from the 86 grandmasters would be much appreciated as I have no other ideas

aukword1
Club4AG Expert

Re: Ae86 4agze starting issues

Postby aukword1 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:30 pm

a few questions,
is it running the 4agze ecu or an aftermarket one?
is the timing on the cams,crank and dizzy all correct at tdc?

neko-romancer
Club4AG Regular

Postby neko-romancer » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:06 am

i really haven't checked. when i go back home i will check the ecu and see ( previous owner did not mention any aftermarket ecu). It was back firing abit, but i was spraying gas into the intake to try to get it to start so i dunno ( timing felt "right"). There's no dizzy because its the late model coil on plug 4agze. but i really should do some research, there wasn't any distributor looked like there was a little cap were the dizzy would normally be ,probably the cam angle sensor. Its my first ae86 i'm used to s13's w/ sr20's lol. I'll have to check and get back to you on that stuff. Do you check tdc on 4age's through the little pin on the crank pulley ( with a timing light?)? or can you do it using cam gear marks like on an sr? It being the timing is probably right, i need to check and see if its getting spark as well. Previous owner did a half assed job ( which is kinda sad, 86's are classic and demand respect right?), the positive battery cable leading to the trunk was held in place with a trash bag lol.

Thank you for your reply good sir

neko-romancer
Club4AG Regular

Postby neko-romancer » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:06 pm

Never mind, just took a look at the ecu today, it is the original denso ecu, but previous owner left wires everywhere, most of them aren't connected to anything and just left out in the open ( no electrical tape or anything :? ).......... Guess i'll be going through all the wiring :(

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:47 pm

The SAFC is a piggyback. There is no reason your motor should need it in it's current configuration unless there are a lot of other mods like a massively overdriven supercharger.
I would focus on getting it back as close to original as possible. The cams shouldn't cause a problem so just make sure cam/crank timing is right and then degree them per the cam cards. If you don't have cam cards you should be able to find them online or get them from HKS.
Pull the SAFC out for now and wire it back to stock. I'm not sure where to find a FSM for that motor but you will suffer hard without it. Try to find a manual and as much other information as you can on wiring. Get the ECU wired up proper.
Send the fuel injectors to a company like Witchhunter for cleaning. A lot of people shrug off this step and oftentimes it's not vital but if the injectors are dirty enough and spraying unevenly enough you could take out your motor or spend months trying to diagnose related issues. In comparison the cost and time of getting the injectors cleaned should make it a no brainer.
If it has an overdrive pulley on the crank or supercharger I would try to find a stock one to replace it with. Until you get it running well the less variables you have to worry about the easier your life will be.

neko-romancer
Club4AG Regular

Postby neko-romancer » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:25 pm

Your help is greatly appreciated yoshimitsuspeed :D . I found the 4agze swap write up here on the forum and will proceed to go through it and see all that was done and what needs correction. I also found hks 4agze cam card discussion on the forum as well ( now all i need to do is learn how to use a cam card lol). I will also take a look at the injectors and send them in to be tested or cleaned, and find an fsm and see if i cant retrace the wiring.
Thanks again :D