What's good about the 7age?

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Re: What's good about the 7age?

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:05 pm

Thanks for posting MtLemmon86 and pulling the thread back on topic lol.
If you start a build thread you should PM me a link.

jinx
Club4AG Expert

Postby jinx » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:54 pm

The only thing wrong with your examples is that you are using torque to try to explain power curve.

No, I use tq to show its unquestionable superior accelerration capabilities. You say tq is irrelevant.
When viewing a dyno, the torque curve is all I look at
A 420hp cummings diesel with its near 700 ft-lbs tq, in a 2700 lb package... would annihilate the rx7 mentioned above
This is standard in the car world but that does not make it correct.

It works, end of story. Stick to math and physics in your "paper world" where everything is "correct", because that is the only place you will get to see a 1.0L 7000 pound dually do its thing. Gotta realize that many of us are more practical and less scientific. Whatever works for ya, eh
:D

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:51 pm

jinx wrote:No, I use tq to show its unquestionable superior accelerration capabilities.

Again you show your completely lack of understanding of what torque is.
Torque at the wheels all that matters. Whether you get there with a high RPM low torque motor or a low RPM high torque motor is irrelevant to how much torque it puts to the wheels. At least on any machine with a gearbox.

jinx wrote:When viewing a dyno, the torque curve is all I look at

You obviously never took the quiz I linked to or read the information or links at the end. If you had you would know that looking at a torque curve without looking at RPM tells you nothing about how much work the motor can do. A motor that makes 1000 lb ft from 1000 to 2000 RPM will do much less work than a motor that makes 1000 lb ft from 6000 RPM to 7000 RPM. Therefore you need to look at the RPM to know at all what the motor can do. Once you associate torque with RPM you are talking about power whether you want to acknowledge that or not.

jinx wrote:A 420hp cummings diesel with its near 700 ft-lbs tq, in a 2700 lb package... would annihilate the rx7 mentioned above

If it did it would be because it had a larger power curve. It has nothing to do with how much torque the motor makes. Look at the questions in the quiz regarding the dyno charts if you still don't understand what I mean.

jinx wrote:It works, end of story. Stick to math and physics in your "paper world" where everything is "correct", because that is the only place you will get to see a 1.0L 7000 pound dually do its thing. Gotta realize that many of us are more practical and less scientific. Whatever works for ya, eh
:D

Just because it works doesn't mean you understand what makes it work or why it works. It is obvious you don't understand either of those questions.
A master chef can bake a world class meal and still think that fairy farts make their dough rise. Just because the dough does in fact rise does not mean their understanding of how or why is correct.

MtLemmon86
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby MtLemmon86 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:36 pm

yoshimitsuspeed wrote:Thanks for posting MtLemmon86 and pulling the thread back on topic lol.
If you start a build thread you should PM me a link.

No problem! I was going to do a not so stock rebuild but for the sake of this argument I might just put the 7age together with the stock head I got with it to see how it compares both on the dyno and driving around. We'll see how much free time I end up having for this.

jinx
Club4AG Expert

Postby jinx » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:37 am

no wonder why you claimed the 4age as some abnormally bulletproof super-overachiever.... once again, it's because of everybody elses' complete lack of understanding

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:56 am

MtLemmon86 wrote:
I did get the timing belt set up from matrix garage though so thank you for that.

modified crankshaft timing belt cog?

The single biggest failing* in many 7AG builds is the "G" belt timing cog on the crankshaft does not correctly line up @ TDC. Don't ASSUME the new one does either! It is a pet peeve of mine... use a piston stop, and KNOW exactly where TDC is.......

* - the 2nd biggest failing is a un-addressed squish gap
OST Cyl head porting, - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=300

Building a great engine takes knowing the end... before you begin :ugeek:

Enjoy Life... its the only one you get!

MtLemmon86
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby MtLemmon86 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:05 am

Yes I wil be doing this very thoroughly as its my first weird Frankenstein motor, for the sake of the OP's question I'm tempted to just toss it in in its current state to see what it puts down but as the bottom end has just under 200k miles I definitely want to rebuild it before it sees any serious mountain duty, and to address that squish gap!