GTS LSD With a 4ac

Ayealex

GTS LSD With a 4ac

Postby Ayealex » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:48 pm

I've searched around but can't find a definite answer. Has anyone ever used a GTS LSD rear with a manual trans on a 4ac? Just wanna know what driveshaft to use if it's been done. I don't want to cut anything or buy a custom driveshaft and the 4ac is staying in until it blows up. 4age is already ready to go but might as well get all 90 horses out of the 4ac!

hachipirate
Club4AG Regular

Re: GTS LSD With a 4ac

Postby hachipirate » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:55 pm

Are you using the whole rear axle assembly or just going to try to fit an LSD into the sr5 housing?
As far as I know, the drive shaft length is the same for the sr5 manual transmission and GTS manual transmission, shorter by 7/8" compared the the automatic. The diff flanges are different I believe from the sr5 open diff than the GTS LSD. Best bet would be to get the GTS drive shaft entirely, or at least fit the GTS rear half to the sr5 front half.
Sounds like something I would do to mine, but I feel it's overkill on such a dinky, yet modest, engine.
I'll let the more experienced modders chime in.

tchybrid
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby tchybrid » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:35 pm

a gts rear end with lsd will swap into a manual sr5, the only thing i can think of that would be an issue is the e-brake cables as you are going from drums to disc brakes.

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:18 pm

the rear half of the driveshaft is a bit different, and it is more than the flange... you will need a GTS rear driveshaft half.... if you plan on running a GTS diff.

You will also have to do something with the brakes as the rear discs use a different proportioning valve then the drum brake cars use
OST Cyl head porting, - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=300

Building a great engine takes knowing the end... before you begin :ugeek:

Enjoy Life... its the only one you get!

Ayealex

Postby Ayealex » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:35 pm

Thank you for the replies! I have calipers, e brake cable, brake lines, etc for a GTS so I'll be swapping those over too. I have a GTS driveshaft so I should be good. I'll be doing the swap the full GTS once the 4ac blows up Iol. I'm just doing everything piece by piece so I can enjoy the little 4ac before the 4age.