A/C question and one other concerning GT-S swap

yukesrevolver
Club4AG Enthusiast

A/C question and one other concerning GT-S swap

Postby yukesrevolver » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:41 pm

If doing a GT-S swap into an SR5, will a GT-S A/C compressor fit up to the SR-5 lines? Only asking because this doesn't seem to be thoroughly covered. Probably because 99% of people just delete the A/C anyways...like I did on my GT-S many moons ago, and hence do not have the parts on hand.

Looking at my engine bay, and that of a stock GT-S, the lines go to the compressor in the same manner. I've been trying to figure out exactly what constitutes the part # difference between a GT-S compressor and SR-5, since they both mount on the same side of the block and lines look exactly the same. Could it be just the clutch/pulley assembly? The SR-5 uses a single rib pulley while the GT-S has the 5 rib.

The "one other" question is about the dash harness, when doing a GT-S swap. All of the swap guides say just use it but don't go into details as to why. The only things I can think of that would require a GT-S dash harness are the CEL light wire, power mirror switch, cruise switch wires, annnddd...thats it. Is there something else I'm missing? Maybe the CoR? The CEL wire would be the only one I'd want to have, and I could just as easily pin/wire that myself without much hassle.

I'd really rather not take apart this dash assembly, and not because I can't (done it plenty of times) but because its so retardedly clean that I don't want to risk cracking/breaking any of the plastics; mainly the clock bezel since I don't think you can get it new in burgundy. The instrument surround bezel also likes to crack for no reason at all, in my experience at least.

Thanks!
85 GT-S Hatch (Bloody Panda)
87 SR-5 Coupe (white)

Grant
Club4AG Expert

Re: A/C question and one other concerning GT-S swap

Postby Grant » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:32 pm

I believe AC lines are the same between the GT-S and SR5, and I think you're right about just the compressor clutch being different. The electrical harness is different between them and you have to swap the computer board inside the AC evaporator as well. You can access the AC harness and the evaporator just by removing the glove box.

Not really sure about the dash harness... from looking through the wiring diagrams you can see they're pretty similar.

yukesrevolver
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby yukesrevolver » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:42 am

Thanks for the reply Grant! Not surprised to see you here, since in my searchings over this topic you were in a couple threads if memory serves.

The clutch/pulley assembly IS different, that much I know for sure, since the SR-5 uses a completely different belt than the GT-S. If the actual compressor body is the same, and all I have to do is swap that assembly, then I'm golden. The compressor is only a few years old (original owners completely revamped the A/C system 4 years ago when converting to R134). Of the GT-S A/C parts I still have, you can count the w/PS bracket. So if the lines are the same, this just got very easy for me. And if I have to buy a GT-S compressor, so be it as well. It's worth having when you live in the south, and are trying to keep amenities.

A board within the evap? You learn something new everyday. Looks like side drafts just got a massive boost on which direction I chose to go then, since I won't be changing out the wiring at all to go that route.

Side drafts WITH A/C and power steering...wonder if thats a first?
85 GT-S Hatch (Bloody Panda)
87 SR-5 Coupe (white)

Grant
Club4AG Expert

Postby Grant » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:49 pm

How do you deal with idle-up stuff with side drafts? I'm kind of curious. For example the A/C idle up raises the idle to about 1500rpm normally.

One more thing I would urge you to do is replace all the o-rings and the schrader valves with the lines off the car. Even if the system was tuned up 4 years ago, you don't want to install all that stuff just to find out the high side valve is crap and then have it break apart as you try to remove it, much easier to do all that with the lines right in your hands. I found that out the hard way... :lol:

Anyway, good luck getting it to work. I still haven't done a performance test of mine, but I will say it does a decent job cooling down the cabin despite what others have said about the A/C performance being crappy.