AE86 Heater wont turn on / keeps blowing fuse

Jeonsah
Club4AG Expert

AE86 Heater wont turn on / keeps blowing fuse

Postby Jeonsah » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:20 am

Hey guys,

So my 1984 AE86 Sr5 keeps blowing the 7.5 amp gauge fuse in the driverside kick panel. I cleaned the main grounds in the engine bay and made sure they had a good connection. I also replaced the climate control due to a lever being bad. The heater seemed to be working and then the fuse decided to blow again a few days later. Does anyone know where I should start? When the gauge fuse blows, my cluster does not work at all either.

Thank you

Vic

jhtoy85

Re: AE86 Heater wont turn on / keeps blowing fuse

Postby jhtoy85 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:58 pm

Sounds like a short to power. Possibly anything before the load. Ive seen small exposed copper wiring rubbing against anything metal and boom! blown fuse. Remember has to be the power side of the fuse. If its a short to ground, no fuse would blow, its just completing the circuit a different way. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong :) Try looking up the electrical wiring diagram for the circuit of the Gauge fuse. Ill try to find it myself.
BRRROOOOOM BRRRRRROOOOOOOOMM! "4AGE ENGINE"

Esenpai
Club4AG Expert

Postby Esenpai » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:08 pm

Jeonsah wrote:Hey guys,

So my 1984 AE86 Sr5 keeps blowing the 7.5 amp gauge fuse in the driverside kick panel. I cleaned the main grounds in the engine bay and made sure they had a good connection. I also replaced the climate control due to a lever being bad. The heater seemed to be working and then the fuse decided to blow again a few days later. Does anyone know where I should start? When the gauge fuse blows, my cluster does not work at all either.

Thank you

Vic

ever figure this out man? just started having the same problem..

totta crolla
Club4AG Pro

Postby totta crolla » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:29 am

Sounds like the fan has seized or got stuck, the motor will continue to draw power but it will eventually blow the fuse.

Esenpai
Club4AG Expert

Postby Esenpai » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:20 pm

totta crolla wrote:Sounds like the fan has seized or got stuck, the motor will continue to draw power but it will eventually blow the fuse.

Yeah not really.

Esenpai
Club4AG Expert

Postby Esenpai » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:52 pm

think I solved my problem. somehow or another the wiring to the fuse block in the driver side foot area got f'D up! for me it was the bottom plug but on the backside of the fuse block so you have to remove the fuse block to get to that side i just gave it a layer of electrical tape and so far so good! will update if anything changes

Jeonsah
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jeonsah » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:57 pm

Thanks for the responses guys. I havent looked into it much more. Just decided to let the car sit for a bit while I fixed other things on the other AE86. I will try the fuse box thing tomorrow. That would make sense because I was messing with the driver side kick panel fuse box a little while ago.