Oil pan/ Rear main seal question

ae86714
Club4AG Expert

Oil pan/ Rear main seal question

Postby ae86714 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:37 pm

I am in the middle of doing a clutch job right now on my hatch. I am really wanting to replace the rear main seal and gasket since i'm in there, but I see that the bottom edge of the piece that holds the seal is the also the sealing surface of the oil pan. I don't have an engine puller and dont really want to have to use one if I can avoid it. I have a "plan" to do it but I would like some input on the process that I have in mind. like if I'm overlooking any details, or have a better way etc.

While the trans is off, I will remove the seal carrier and replace the seal and gasket. Bolt it back in to the block while leaving the bottom edge clean. now re assemble/ install the flywheel/ clutch and trans. then unbolt and jack up the front of the motor via the crank pulley, enough to get clearance to remove the oil pan. at that point I'd re do the oil pan gasket all around (under the rear main). does this make sense to do this way? :?:

allencr
Club4AG Expert

Re: Oil pan/ Rear main seal question

Postby allencr » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:05 pm

ae86714 wrote: does this make sense to do this way?

Yes, if the pan is actually leaking, otherwise NO.

ae86714
Club4AG Expert

Postby ae86714 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:45 pm

Oh she's leaking alright, lol. I just thought maybe the "proper" way to do the seal carrier, is to do the oil pan at the same time. Guess I'll figure it out.

MisterJerk
Club4AG Pro

Postby MisterJerk » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:43 am

I used an engine puller to reseal my leaky oil pan, then to replace the oil pump. i thought about a jack on the pulley(for the pan reseal), but i didnt want to mess up the crank bearings or the pulley, or the oil pump. there might be enuff clearance to do the rear main with out jacking the engine. Since no trans, the engine can be rocked back and forth on the mounts fro access to the bolts