Strange oil leak from where? Pic inside

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Strange oil leak from where? Pic inside

Postby notnilc20 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:25 pm

I'm guessing it's oil as it has an oily feel but I can't determine where it's coming from....it is above the head gasket but the leak is not originating from the valve cover gasket either as there is no trail..it just seems to saturate the metal and some on the exhaust manifold. Now if it's on the ex. man. why doesnt it burn off? there is never smoke or oil burning smell. Anyway, it just seems strange and I can't figure it out. Ideas?

Nick94tt
Club4AG Expert

Re: Strange oil leak from where? Pic inside

Postby Nick94tt » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:04 pm

Looks almost like blow by getting past the seal on the EGR bolt, spraying the side of the head. Really unique area given the exhaust heat shield and where everything is. Simple to check the other side of the heat shield to see if there's burnt oil residue. How long did it take to show up? (Worth degreaseing and checking)

There's some discoloration on the valve cover grommet, but I've rarely seen oil leaks head to the front of the car when they can go straight down. (Obviously, they'll follow a drop edge quite a ways - just less so through airflow and fan output)

Running on the assumption it's a standard distributor largeport 16v.

I have an almost identical stain on my 2j where I'm running the valve cover vent straight to atmosphere. Takes forever to build up, car burns no oil, and has great compression. Just gradual since the charcoal canister and egr... malfunctioned.

Nick94tt
Club4AG Expert

Postby Nick94tt » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:07 pm

Also, before I rebuilt my distributor on the 4a I had the usual leak. Only caught the scent of oil after high rpm/load to a quick stop. Otherwise the airflow was likely enough to miss it. That and synthetic not burning as pungent... Acted a bit like worn valve stem seals.

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Postby notnilc20 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:17 pm

Nick94tt wrote:Looks almost like blow by getting past the seal on the EGR bolt, spraying the side of the head. Really unique area given the exhaust heat shield and where everything is. Simple to check the other side of the heat shield to see if there's burnt oil residue. How long did it take to show up? (Worth degreaseing and checking)

There's some discoloration on the valve cover grommet, but I've rarely seen oil leaks head to the front of the car when they can go straight down. (Obviously, they'll follow a drop edge quite a ways - just less so through airflow and fan output)

Running on the assumption it's a standard distributor largeport 16v.

I have an almost identical stain on my 2j where I'm running the valve cover vent straight to atmosphere. Takes forever to build up, car burns no oil, and has great compression. Just gradual since the charcoal canister and egr... malfunctioned.

Hi there,

thanks for the response. Yeah, i'm gonna degrease it in a couple days and hopefully I can pinpoint. I was also thinking maybe a hairline crack in the head (worst case scenario) but I dont know we'll see. You assume correct with it being a standard distributor 16v largeport and it does have the typical small oil leak on the distributor cap. Still wonder why it doesnt burn off with it being on the ex. manifold.....

assassin10000
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby assassin10000 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:27 pm

Unbolt the exhaust manifold and see if it's wet inside. Bad valve stem seal is possible.

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Postby notnilc20 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:05 pm

assassin10000 wrote:Unbolt the exhaust manifold and see if it's wet inside. Bad valve stem seal is possible.

Thanks...I will try that. FYI, the engine doesnt burn oil or anything.

Nick94tt
Club4AG Expert

Postby Nick94tt » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:08 pm

Really doesn't take much to leave a film or residue though. Oil will try and coke at times before burning off

If it is a valve stem seal and you're on the east coast ( :lol: ), I've got the tool for the valve spring retainers.