Celica Supra Wheels - Aftermarket Lug Nuts

Gabriel82
Club4AG Enthusiast

Celica Supra Wheels - Aftermarket Lug Nuts

Postby Gabriel82 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:58 am

Hi everyone,

I recently converted my SR5 rear end to a GTS rear end. While I was rebuilding the rear end I took the opportunity to upgrade the wheel studs to ARP. Since the studs are longer than OEM I will have to run an open lug nut. Correct me if I'm wrong but the acorn style lug nuts won't work with the celica supra rims? lugs like Muteki, Project Kicks, etc?

If they don't does anyone recommend open ended lug nuts that work with the Celica Supra wheels.

Nick94tt
Club4AG Expert

Re: Celica Supra Wheels - Aftermarket Lug Nuts

Postby Nick94tt » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:10 pm

Assuming the stud fits, longer acorns

Otherwise yes, open lugs. Just make sure you correctly match the seat angle/style.

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:05 pm

If I was running longer wheel studs I'd go with open ended lug nuts.

... but the real concern should be the lug seat in the wheel. Most aftermarket wheels/lugnuts are angled so its okay, but the oem wheels aren't always the case.

Not sure about the celica supra wheels, but most, if not all, oem Toyota alloy wheels have flat seats. That's how it is with the newer vehicles. The steel wheels get the typical acorn lugnuts
[I have no idea what I'm doing]

jinx
Club4AG Expert

Postby jinx » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:18 am

celica supra lugs have a shank, that fit very snug in the wheel.
Most aftermarket shank diameters not the same
Why longer stud ? Don't need em
if u can't live without the longer studs, I'd prolly just cut the caps off the oe lugs
....mini chop saw then 'dress' it

I'm about to repolish my old 14x7 supras shortly + new rubber 185/60 FR 195/60 RR

Nick94tt
Club4AG Expert

Postby Nick94tt » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:50 pm

Agreed on the questionable need for the longer studs.

I brought up the seat angles on lug nuts because the previous owner properly torqued down the wrong set on an adapter and i got to be the ***hole watching a wheel fly down the road when they backed off. :lol:

Literally just hand torqued the entire rear end. (In front of an ASE Master Tech buddy - so please know I'll ****ing never live it down...)

Go a half mile.down the road, all of a sudden it feels like I've got bias plies and radials.... Hit the hazards and drop down to 20... Rooster tail of sparks ensue, ass drops, and the dumbass tailgating me smokes the loose wheel and takes out her whole front end.

Wheel actually went a MILE.

Some nice folks stopped and helped. Ended up giving them the case of beer in the trunk.

State trooper was laughing his ass off at the buddy club 2 exhaust in my trunk while he blocked traffic for me.

Gabriel82
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Gabriel82 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:32 pm

So that's what I'm trying to find. Flat open ended lug nuts that fit the 86. Any recommendations?

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:26 am

These guys have a couple of possibles... NICE Products in Australia...

The thread size should be 12 x 1.5 and you will need to carefully measure the hole where
the shank fits as well as the recess where the washer fits. I don't see the washer diameter
in the catalog so you will need to email them for the measurement before you buy. From
memory I'm pretty sure that the washer drops down into a counterbore and so both those
measurements need to be right.

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

Gabriel82
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Gabriel82 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:45 am

Thanks for the info. It's still crazy to me no one has documented how they found a solution for tracking these wheels.