Oil Pressure Sensor on ITBs question and after market harness

yabaiani
Club4AG Expert

Oil Pressure Sensor on ITBs question and after market harness

Postby yabaiani » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:18 pm

Hi everyone, I’m installing my ITBs and ran into an issue with my oil pressure sensor on the harness. What are my solutions that I am able to plug in to the sensor so that my digital gauge cluster works as well as making sure the Link ECU can read the oil pressure? Does anyone have any recommendations on an oil pressure sensor I can buy? And if so, can you put part number or the link? Or is the one that I have work and I just have to splice it in. Let me know.

Will this work from an SW20 MR2 with the 3SGTE Motor? https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/bwd ... icle=false

Barry from MRP said that the oil pressure single wire is for the switch while the other fitting is for the oil pressure directly so if you are running an oil cooler, you can use that 3 wire one connected to a external pressure sensor in the lines.

Photos are attached.

jondee86

Re: Oil Pressure Sensor on ITBs question and after market harness

Postby jondee86 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:23 pm

Ahh.... I see that you have the Flo's (?) small brake booster in there now :) Looks
like you should have enough room for your filter. You want at least 25mm from
the inside of the foam to the mouth of the trumpet if you can manage that.

I'm going to take a guess at what happened with those wires. The OEM oil pressure
sensor is a bit of an odd one. It only has a single wire like a switch, but it actually
is a proper pressure sender. Only works with the OEM analog cluster IIRC. So it is
likely the guy who made the loom thought it was a switch and gave you that one
wire with the female spade so you use the "switch".

Then he figured you wanted an oil pressure input for the ECU/dash but didn't know
what sensor you were going to use, so gave you a standard Deutsch DTM3 male
connector instead of a plug. The idea would be that you make a small adapter cable
to join a female DTM3 to the plug that fits whatever oil pressure sender you choose.

So if you can identify the sender that is screwed into your block you should be able
to get a matching plug. Sender probably needs to be a 0-5V output type at a guess.
Your ECU file will tell you what a LINK analog input likes :)

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:33 pm

Oh, and while I'm thinking about this, if your digital dash is a OEM unit you will need
the matching OEM sender. The analog one will not work. Shooting from the lip on this
but I seem to remember reading that somewhere :)

Second thing, pretty sure you don't need an oil pressure switch. That is just used on
some cars to turn on an "idiot light" to tell the driver he has lost oil pressure. If you
input an actual pressure reading to your ECU it should be able to warm you or even
shut down the engine if you lose oil pressure using the engine protection functions.

Cheers... jondee86

yabaiani
Club4AG Expert

Postby yabaiani » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:24 pm

jondee86 wrote:Oh, and while I'm thinking about this, if your digital dash is a OEM unit you will need
the matching OEM sender. The analog one will not work. Shooting from the lip on this
but I seem to remember reading that somewhere :)

Second thing, pretty sure you don't need an oil pressure switch. That is just used on
some cars to turn on an "idiot light" to tell the driver he has lost oil pressure. If you
input an actual pressure reading to your ECU it should be able to warm you or even
shut down the engine if you lose oil pressure using the engine protection functions.

Cheers... jondee86

Can I not just use the link I sent above on the digital pressure sensor from the SW20? And then leave that oil pressure DTM3 one alone? Or do I need to ignore the single female one and figure out this adapter thing? And if that is the path...can you help me find the parts / cable / adapter thing I need?

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:10 pm

The link just comes up as a simple oil pressure switch ? Maybe you posted the wrong link ?
The reference to an oil cooler infers that you would be using a sandwich plate under the
oil filter, and if so, the sandwich plate would have tappings for mounting an oil pressure
switch, oil temperature gauge sender or oil pressure sender.

Check where the wire with the single spade terminal leads to. Chances are it will just
terminate inside the cabin but not connect to the ECU. You could use it to hook up the
OEM pressure sensor to an analog dash, but you will need to research what kind of sensor
and how many wires it takes to connect a digital sensor to a digital dash.

Cheers... jondee86

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:24 pm

OK... does the digital dash actually have a gauge that goes from low to high
or does it just have an "oil light" ? If it is just a light then a simple switch will
do the job. If it is an actual gauge then you will need the matching sensor.

Cheers... jondee86

Nick94tt
Club4AG Expert

Postby Nick94tt » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:07 pm

If you're paying someone to figure all of this out for you...

Find someone else... or give the current folks a chance. (I wouldn't, but I've known enough shop owners to know it costs less than $500 to start a licenced "business" with insurance.)

Jondee has you covered, down to the sensor type.

With a standalone you just need to know the sensor type, the input type, and the values to type in.

Hard part is fabricating the mounting points.

That said, hurry up. Want to see this build rip. ^_^