4A-C bogging

bobby337

4A-C bogging

Postby bobby337 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:35 am

My 4A-C engine is bogging around 2500-3000rpm.
After that it accelerate fine. What can I adjust?

Nick94tt
Club4AG Expert

Re: 4A-C bogging

Postby Nick94tt » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:44 pm

Potentially - adjust your plugs, wires, and rotor.

(With fresh parts)

I'd start easy and pull the plugs. Keep them in order so you can translate any damage or odd run conditions to that particular cylinder. Check and adjust gaps, clean and reinstall. (Or replace)

Wires - can check resistance and make sure the insulation/connectors are solid. Worst case change a wire and test it. (Switch 3/4. When I say that I mean completely remove one plug wire from the distributor and plug - replace it with the other one. Then install the original wire on the other plug/distributor ends.) Think switching your sock from your right foot to your left foot.

The rotor and points inside the distributor cap may be worn, but generally that would show across the board. Clean up all the points (using some 2000+grit sandpaper or scotchbrite is fine. Dont go too crazy with sandpaper removing material)

The above will generally help regardless.

Not familiar with the carb on a 4ac but potentially a vacuum leak, more likely a gummed up secondary/enrichment jet.

Been dealing with ethanol gumming on carbs left and right lately. (Entire family calls me and acts like marine StaBil isn't a thing. :? )

Nick94tt
Club4AG Expert

Re: 4A-C bogging

Postby Nick94tt » Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:05 pm

Occured to me. I had a similar rpm related stumble that I eventually traced back to a bad connection inside an NGK plug wire. (Someone... :roll: ) Pulled too hard on a wire, not the boot. :lol: (Would only show up under a load test, continuity and resistance were normal)

Recrimping plug wires without the damned specialty tool is nearly impossible in my limited experience. :lol: