body harness, donor vehicle, and advice.

Kuromi_loves_toyota
Club4AG Regular

body harness, donor vehicle, and advice.

Postby Kuromi_loves_toyota » Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:51 am

i dont know if ive gone truly in depth to my situation, ive had an 84 hatch as a project for a good 4 years now, its been a big but overall smooth project, but ive still had some issues, the last thing i talked about was options for new brakes and ive since fixed my issue with bake fade. but now i have a more serious problem. my body harness is not in very good condition, ive always had minor electrical issues, but its getting to a point where it needs to be fixed. i have a spare coupe as a donor car for any parts i might need, and now im going to pull off the body harness. does anyone have any advice for doing this? i plan on taking it out of the coupe doing any repairs and then putting it in my hatch, ive got some heat shrink, soldering materials, electrical tape, crimp terminals, and some wire looms. is there any specific procedure for removing the body harness on a corolla? literally all advice is beneficial, i need all the help i can get.

thank you.
"be creative and live a fun life, and dont be an asshole" KB43VER

morgan
Club4AG Pro

Re: body harness, donor vehicle, and advice.

Postby morgan » Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:11 am

Take the interior stuff out; seats, carpet, etc (which will probably be happening regardless). Unplug each connector and take a piece of masking tape and write down where it goes, and wrap it around the wires at the connector. If youre good at reading electrical diagrams, I can send you the full electrical manual. Even if youre not, its pretty straight forward, and will help a lot once you decipher it. From there, take a multi-meter and check for continuity between the main connector to each individual one. That way you can check for breaks, but inserting the wires of the meter and moving the harness around will be beneficial, as some wires might still be in contact just laying there.
haha cali...i got one of your 86's and you're not getting it back.
My turd of an 86
20v swapped 86 write-up

Kuromi_loves_toyota
Club4AG Regular

Postby Kuromi_loves_toyota » Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:54 am

yes i would greatly appreciate it if you could send me the diagram. that would be amazing. ill run and buy some masking tape and sharpies, how lengthy do you think this job will be?

morgan
Club4AG Pro

Postby morgan » Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:45 am

Message me an email address to send it to.

In terms of timeframe, really depends on the state of each car and how quickly you can get all the parts out. If just the body harness, it wouldnt take more than a day if youre familiar with removing all the interior parts.
haha cali...i got one of your 86's and you're not getting it back.
My turd of an 86
20v swapped 86 write-up

Kuromi_loves_toyota
Club4AG Regular

Postby Kuromi_loves_toyota » Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:19 pm

totta crolla
Club4AG Pro

Postby totta crolla » Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:14 am

Try always to use factory style crimps especially for repairs.
I use Male/Female narrow non-insulated bullet type connectors with heatshrink. Those 'orrid blue insulated squashy efforts are sent by the Devil!
Make sure any repair like this is taped into the loom for support.