Coil over reviews?

gaijin_rokurunner
Club4AG Pro

Re: Coil over reviews?

Postby gaijin_rokurunner » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:44 pm

ok well to clarify and correct my post the "spindle housing" since the greddy are two piece setups not the traditional shock tube welded to the spindle...
20v power.....powered by Orion's Demise!

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:02 pm

gaijin_rokurunner wrote:as far as the greddy weight placement its actually on the shocks piston straight up and down movement....the shock cushions the weight of the car with the spring and only time u wont have this is if your shock bottoms out ....

I'm referring to the spring top hats being like this (unfortunately all the off the shelf coilovers are this design):

Instead of like this:

^ this style gives smoother/better steering feel and lengthens the life of the bearing in the camber plate.

gaijin_rokurunner
Club4AG Pro

Postby gaijin_rokurunner » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:34 pm

not sure but i dont think the greddy is built like the first picture let me go take a look now

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:52 pm

It's basically the same:

Pretty much all the aftermarket coilovers are like this. It's not a huge deal but it is annoying considering there's a better way.

An hr.net member tried adapting the t3 needle bearing tops to his megan coilovers and they didn't fit right. I guess they're only meant to be used with stock replacement strut inserts. Those top hats also only work with certain camber plates.

gaijin_rokurunner
Club4AG Pro

Postby gaijin_rokurunner » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:01 pm

guess they do that for less maintenance....the better way means those individual moving parts will eventually wear causing replacement at some point and im sure trying to find replacement parts like that will be impossible

LongGrain

Postby LongGrain » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:08 pm

you dudes are seriously arguing over some "princess and the pea" ****. Something you will NEVER feel.

Are greddy the absolute best designed suspension in the world? No, probably not.

Are they awesome and work just fine for street, track, drifting, hardparking, whatever? Yea.

they are good quality, ride well, perform well. etc. my steering feels just fine and I would take greddy over T3 garbage any day.

I have T3 parts on my car and to be honest, I'm not particularly impressed with the quality of any of them, and do plan on upgrading all of them in due time.

gaijin_rokurunner
Club4AG Pro

Postby gaijin_rokurunner » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:24 pm

lol nobody is arguing....and i agree with you about the greedy coilovers being the best bang for the buck right now on the market.....ive tried just about everything...i designed and was the original seller of the rear coil over setups T3 sells...but we wont get into that...anyone who knows what i use to sell back in the days knows T3 offers alot of copies of what i offered...anyhow i have t3 control arms and steering knuckles and the arms are decent but the control arms hit my tension rod bolts but i got it all on a trade i couldnt pass up and it does the job for now so I wont complain to much....

LongGrain

Postby LongGrain » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:25 pm

yea i have T3 lca, tension rods and RCA. not real impressed with the quality. Planning on upgrading to battle version as soon as I have the dough.

8-Eight_Six-6
Club4AG Regular

Postby 8-Eight_Six-6 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:35 pm

gaijin_rokurunner wrote:
8-Eight_Six-6 wrote:
gaijin_rokurunner wrote:I have to agree with longgrain the greddy are by far one of the best setups currently available and ive tried just about everything except Megan or the cheap Chinese setups out there now...thing that stands out with the greddy is the shock and spindle on the front are two different pieces meaning you can adjust the height of the car without jeopardizing the stroke of the shock. This is where alot of other setups fail...and why short strike shocks came into the market...on the greddy the spindle is threaded and the casing the shock sits in is also threaded so to adjust height the shock casing can be moved up and down within the threading to adjust height without adjusting the spring....on the rear u have a traditional spring that its in the perch, above it you have an adjustable mount which can compensate for the shocks adjustability and just like the front the bottom half of the shock that mounts to the rear end is separate from the shock itself. To adjust you just turn the shock housing clockwise or counter to move the shock up and down, and then adjust the spring mount to compensate for ride height. Additionally the shocks themselves have several settings from soft to hard and everything in between the springs i believe are a 8kg on front and 6 on the rear but rate can be changed by setting. If you got the loot i would invest in the greddy probably the last set of suspension you will ever by.

The spindles are not threaded the shock casing is. And if you ever put a Greddy front setup and lets say a T3 there is like atlest a 7" difference, Greddy being taller. And assuming you track your car reinforcing the shock mounts on a 20+ year old car should be like the first thing you should do. And guys, just because the corolla ORIGINALLY came with the spring separate from the shock doesn't mean that's the BEST way to go. For the traditionalist ya go for it, but if you track your car and want to get the most out of it, go with a spring over shock assembly, it's like night and day

Now that didnt even make sense....one being threaded and the other half not? Both are threaded how do you think the casing goes up and down in the spindle it doesn't slide into the spindle it works like a nut and bolt both being threaded to accept one another! Also 7 " is a lot of difference...which is also incorrect....the greddy allow you to adjust ride height up and down the proper way without effecting shock stroke while the T3 are fixed height...all you can do is adjust the spring location which in turn effects the stroke of the shock your using and thus requiring you to use a different shock. As far as the rest of what you said....where do you get your information because all the setups are spring over shock assemblies!

What? Image that's what a spindle is, do you see threads?
Ok maby 5", still... A turned down Greddy front assembly would be the same height as a T3 assembly or damn close. When I had my Greddys I practically bottomed out the shock casing to be at the ride height I wanted to be at. What the hell was the other 5" for if when they where bottomed out they where practically the same height as my T3's dialed down 20%. Ya I didn't have to buy different shocks even all the way turned down on my T3 and they worked just fine so I'm not sure where that came from. What the hell class are you talking about? Cause most classes have restrictions not allowing you to change the suspension from OEM, so ya coil over shock on an AE86 in the rear would brake those rules and wouldn't be allowed on the track. As for that last part, I'm confused, cause the Greddy setup is NOT spring over shock, the shock and spring are not one assembly, which is what I was talking about in the original post. I am referring to the rear of course, obviously the front is spring over shock, I'm not retarded dude. I really don't think you understand what the hell I'm trying to say and are just reading fast and typing faster

8-Eight_Six-6
Club4AG Regular

Postby 8-Eight_Six-6 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:37 pm

LongGrain wrote:you dudes are seriously arguing over some "princess and the pea" ****. Something you will NEVER feel.

Are greddy the absolute best designed suspension in the world? No, probably not.

Are they awesome and work just fine for street, track, drifting, hardparking, whatever? Yea.

they are good quality, ride well, perform well. etc. my steering feels just fine and I would take greddy over T3 garbage any day.

I have T3 parts on my car and to be honest, I'm not particularly impressed with the quality of any of them, and do plan on upgrading all of them in due time.

Thank you. And ya I ditched my T3 aswell. My PBM rock

gaijin_rokurunner
Club4AG Pro

Postby gaijin_rokurunner » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:44 pm

i think u should of read my correction up above since i assumed everyone knew the spindles were separate and not threaded from the shock casing i was referring to the vertical part of the housing is treaded to accept the treaded casing...anyhow duece i think they are made the way you prefer heres a blown up view of the setup apparently it uses thrust bearing in the spring top secured by a pillow collar
http://www.use.com/showoriginal.pl?set= ... 500495&p=5

FujiwaraEightSix
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby FujiwaraEightSix » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:25 am

I have the Greddys on my Levin... They are good for daily driving, but I feel the dampening isn't where I need it to be for track use. I've switched the front springs out to SWIFT 9KGs and it's made it livable, but in the end they can't beat the HTS. Also I've had some issues with the shocks leaking (mind you I did get these used so I have no idea of how many miles were on them prior) and getting replacements is expensive.
-Rick Cunanan

Yosuke
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Yosuke » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:02 am

Ive seen aftermarket spindles bend without any impact or misuse, im guessing theyre just made from different metal from OEM Toyota so they simply cant take the weight. The OEM units i have not seen bend but only wear down (where the hub and bearing sits) but this is probably due to long years of usage. This is the reason why some suspension manufacturers either stopped selling the AE86 suspension, or discontinued production, the spindle area is too much of a liability.

And also a word of caution when using full height adjustable coilovers - please keep in mind that the best welder in the world cant keep the casing/spindle mating area from failing if they simply just welded a single bead on the outside of the casing. The correct method of doing this is to get a cup pressed into the spindle, and welding this piece to enable the new shock absorber to be inserted inside the new casing. (photo uploaded to show that this shock absorber was only welded, not pressed into spindle, not insinuating anything negative regarding the brand represented in the photo)

So with all that said, i would recommend the old fashioned way - having someone build you one out of your factory OEM spindles with your preferred choice of shock absorber.
This way: http://club4ag.com/tech-data/short-stroke-suspension-guide-conversion-of-front-strut/
MKIV Supra Turbo
AE86 Levin ITB
Yamaha V8
http://www.ae86fc.com

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:44 pm

Does anyone have experience on hts with lower than 8/6 kg/mm spring rates, perhaps a 6/4 or 7/5 kg/mm setup?

sqznby
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby sqznby » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:58 am

I had asked in regards to the QA1s, these are the ones in question.
Any thoughts?
http://www.paradiseracing.com/Store/ind ... t&Itemid=1

8-Eight_Six-6,
Are these the ones you have? I have been reading a lot fo good things about them.
http://www.gtfactory.jp/cms/page.php?28

Thanks

miswuevos
Club4AG Expert

Postby miswuevos » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:54 pm

up

totta crolla
Club4AG Pro

Postby totta crolla » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:38 am

What is the fascination with bumping really old threads then ? :evil:

IndiaDorifto7
Club4AG Expert

Postby IndiaDorifto7 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:43 pm

Thought I'd bring back this thread :D
BTW, how are d2 coilovers?

IndiaDorifto7
Club4AG Expert

Postby IndiaDorifto7 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:46 pm

totta crolla wrote:What is the fascination with bumping really old threads then ? :evil:

This thread looks useful and may help a lot of us looking at getting some coilovers, so yeah.

lucid_dream

Postby lucid_dream » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:55 pm

Been rocking the Megan's for 7 or 8 months. Overall great upgrade from stock, definalty stiff but not anywhere near some of the different model cars I have driven with the same series Megan's.

I am currently 9 clicks from full dampening in the front and 11 clicks in the rear. Very slight wheel hop if the rears are spun from a dead stop but deminshes with wheel speed, everything else is stock (rods, bushings...).

My car is a daily/street drifter, the coilovers definitely improved ten fold on the handling during a drift, and is a lot easier to break loose and more predictable.

As far as spindles I ordered mine with new spindles already welded on for $1050. Shipped.

Hope this aids in your quest...

Glock30
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Glock30 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:28 pm

I've had my Megans in the car almost when they came out. I haven't had any issues with them (granted the car didn't move for 3 years). They can be bouncy and I have not tried any other coil over set. I did turn mine all the way up once and caught some air on the freeway when I first had them, but since then I don't run them at max stiffness. They've mainly seen daily driving and some fun mountain nights, but no track days. I'm also running aftermarket sway bars which most likely make a difference as well.
1984 Toyota Corolla Sport SR5
1989 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer
1968 Ford F250
Lots of 4AC info here: http://4ac-powered.forumotion.com/

IndiaDorifto7
Club4AG Expert

Postby IndiaDorifto7 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:56 pm

Thanks guys! BTW, is it a good idea to save up for Stance Super Sports or should I trust Megans?

ae86714
Club4AG Expert

Postby ae86714 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:00 pm

Where do JIC coilovers fit in the line up?