Help with T50 transmission rebuild

cliqwe
Club4AG Enthusiast

Help with T50 transmission rebuild

Postby cliqwe » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:07 pm

Ok, Ive been attempting to follow this guide to rebuilding my transmission... http://www.86garage.com/forums/viewtopi ... =47&t=3367

I've gotten to step 18, showing 2nd gear synchro here... the author states that the engagement is worn and that he will prob replace the gear and possibly the shift collar.

So my noob questions are... what is the order of the parts in the pic, starting with the synchro ring? Is it golden synchro ring, engagement ring, 2nd gear... not sure which is shift collar?

Second how, do you know when the gear or synchro needs to be replaced. The synchro is a bit easier to tell as the teeth are worn, and I see the gouges in the gear, but is there certain amount that is acceptable before you have to replace?

allencr
Club4AG Expert

Re: Help with T50 transmission rebuild

Postby allencr » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:10 pm

'golden' brass is the syncro ring, to its left is the syncro hub sleeve(shift collar, engagement ring) with its groove for the fork and to its right is 2nd gear. 2nd gear has small teeth/dogs that the syncro hub sleeve slides over.
The small teeth/dogs can be deburred and filed/ground smooth & angled to almost like new.
The syncro ring pushes on 2nd gear's taper, that's what spins the cluster gear & input shaft & clutch disk & gear oil so that its speed matches the engine, and as that taper wears it closes up the gap you see between them. Factory spec is 1-2mm with .8 the minimum & time to be replaced. That pic shows about 3mm but the syncro ring isn't being pushed against 2nd gear.
Notice that the syncro hubs are not symmetrical but can be installed the wrong way around, check the manual.

cliqwe
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby cliqwe » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:26 pm

Thank you so much! I see now that I didndt knokw what I was talking about before this post, but Ive watched several videos and reread your post so that I can understand it, and now I can see the light :) So as far as replacing the gear? What should determine replacing the gear? In that picture, I see a couple teeth that look slightly worn, but the engagement doesnt look THAT bad...maybe Im missing something?

allencr
Club4AG Expert

Postby allencr » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:58 pm

The gears teeth, not the little syncro dogs but the helical teeth that engage the cluster/lay/countershaft gear. In that pic it might be an optical illusion but I see the face on 2nd's teeth are bad with a very visible notch at their base & 3rd gear looks much worse. It wouldn't bother the shifting, but vibrate, run hot & probably whine.

cliqwe
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby cliqwe » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:55 am

Got it, thanks allen youve been very helpful ;) One more question, not as important, but if the gap between the shift fork and shift hub is beyond the minimal clearance, is it assumed you replace both the shift fork and hub sleeve? Or can you replace one without having to replace the other?