When engine is cold 2nd gear grinds when engaged

DJManila
Club4AG Enthusiast

When engine is cold 2nd gear grinds when engaged

Postby DJManila » Tue May 07, 2013 12:25 pm

I was wondering how I could troubleshoot this issue. Transition to first and second gear is rough when the engine is cold sometimes even third. Its seems to go away or ease up when the engine warms up.

Obvious fix is letting the engine warm up. I was wondering what the issue is. The clutch is good, fluid seems to be ok.

Formerly known as seanperia

Deuce Cam

Re: When engine is cold 2nd gear grinds when engaged

Postby Deuce Cam » Tue May 07, 2013 1:33 pm

Hmm..

Worn syncros, disintegrated shifter bushings, etc. What trans fluid are you using? Does double clutching get rid of the grind?

DJManila
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby DJManila » Tue May 07, 2013 1:45 pm

Deuce Cam wrote:Hmm..

Worn syncros, disintegrated shifter bushings, etc. What trans fluid are you using? Does double clutching get rid of the grind?

I honestly don't know what fluid is in it. I do need to replace shifter bushings.

My main confusion is why does it get better as the engine warms up?

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Tue May 07, 2013 2:15 pm

Hard to say. Has it always done that or something new that popped up?

I had an STI that did something similar from 1-2 when cold. It rarely would grind hard, but it was VERY notchy and would sometimes lightly grind if the shift point/execution wasn't 100% perfect until it warmed up. I bought the car new and it always did it. Anyway, a few months before I sold it I ended up getting a used complete after market shifter assembly. After that was installed the cold 1-2 notchiness was completely gone. It was like magic because it makes no sense.

I'm not implying that you would have the same results, but it could be something simple like that.
Last edited by Deuce Cam on Tue May 07, 2013 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ga_goosh
Club4AG Pro

Postby ga_goosh » Tue May 07, 2013 2:15 pm

your syncros are probably on there way out. there is some gear oil specifically made for manual transmissions. its called amsoil synchromesh trans oil. i havent used it but i know a couple guys who have used it with positive results.
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM

DJManila
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby DJManila » Tue May 07, 2013 3:06 pm

I might try switching the gear oil and replace the shifter bushings with the T3 kit.

MisterJerk
Club4AG Pro

Postby MisterJerk » Wed May 08, 2013 5:37 am

Cabe toyota sells the OE shifter rebuild kit on the cheap.

Changing the oil and rebuilding the shifter made a huge difference on my car, was prolly original to the car.
Anyone know the service intervals on the Transmission and Diff(how often do you change the oil in them)?

DJManila
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby DJManila » Wed May 08, 2013 6:06 am

MisterJerk wrote:Cabe toyota sells the OE shifter rebuild kit on the cheap.

Changing the oil and rebuilding the shifter made a huge difference on my car, was prolly original to the car.
Anyone know the service intervals on the Transmission and Diff(how often do you change the oil in them)?

Is there still a vendor here from cabe

MisterJerk
Club4AG Pro

Postby MisterJerk » Wed May 08, 2013 6:40 am

There used to be. I dunno if he has reposted since the forum pooped.

I just call them and ask for Herb, 562-595-7411
http://yhst-99618682857744.stores.yahoo.net/jdp.html

Jeonsah
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jeonsah » Wed May 08, 2013 6:22 pm

My SR5 has the same issue with all gears in the mornings when its cold. The clutch slave is old and worn. You have to depress the clutch around 20 times to get it into the smooth shifting motion with no grinds. So it may be worth buying a new clutch slave or rebuilding the one you have. If it doesnt extend all the way to push on the clutch fork when you depress the pedal, your gonna have issues putting it into gear.

Red
Club4AG Expert

Postby Red » Wed May 08, 2013 6:35 pm

I'm going to guess that whether the engine is cold or not, is misleading. If you've ever pulled up the carpet and insulation, you'd find the tranny itself gets hot as the engine and exhaust heat up. So when the engine is hot, the tranny is hot and when metal gets hot it expands.

Something in the tranny is marginal, worn, and when it heats up things shift just enough so it engages normally. I have no idea what--but something is being affected as it all heats up. Assuming you've got enough clutch fluid and the clutch is OK, and there IS tranny fluid in there, if it is anything inside the tranny it pays to rebuild the whole thing if you need to drop it and open it up at all. Not a cheap job in a shop, not an easy job unless you've got space and the lift, so if you're going to do it, do a complete rebuild and only have to do it once.
-- Original owner, 1985 GT-S