Engine Removal Advice

zacko9000
Club4AG Regular

Engine Removal Advice

Postby zacko9000 » Fri May 17, 2013 6:15 am

Hey everybody, I am going to be removing the 4age engine out of my 85 Corolla this weekend and I was just wondering if anyone has any advice or tips on the process. My dad and I have taken engines out of other cars, but never out of a Toyota.

ga_goosh
Club4AG Pro

Re: Engine Removal Advice

Postby ga_goosh » Fri May 17, 2013 7:26 am

its pretty simple but there is some things you should look out for. if you are removing the trans with the engine make sure to be careful of the vsv on the back of the head. they are prone to hitting the firewall as the engine moves and will break them. so if you are running egr or the charchoal can then you will need the vsv's in tact. also i would make sure you unplug the reverse sensor from the trans. i forgot it once and messed up the wire connectors so now my reverse lights wont light up. this is with an engine hoist. it also helps a lot to remove the hooed. if you have a lift i would unbolt the front shocks the crossmember unhook the rack from the steering column and unbolt the trans mount and remove the speedo cable and drive shaft and you can simply lift the car out of the way as the engine and suspension stays on the ground.
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM

zacko9000
Club4AG Regular

Re: Engine Removal Advice

Postby zacko9000 » Fri May 17, 2013 7:37 am

Cool, Thanks for the advice.