Exhaust help

DerekGreeson
Club4AG Regular

Exhaust help

Postby DerekGreeson » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:40 pm

hey maybe you guys can help me on my exhaust. I'm getting a custom 2 maybe 2.25 in. exhaust and an oval style universal muffler. I was thinking magnaflow and my question to yall is how do I keep my exhaust from sounding ricey. I don't want that high pitch buzzing sound when I rev it. I'm taking my cat off since I don't have emissions, so do I need a resonator or should my muffler make it so it doesn't sound like $h!t. Also what kind should I get turboed or chambered? 4AC engine by the way so stock exhaust manifold is what i'm stuck with.

ga_goosh
Club4AG Pro

Re: Exhaust help

Postby ga_goosh » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:40 am

for a deep non raspy tone use a pre-muffler or a resonator. check out after market exhaust systems. there is usually 2 mufflers and those are the ones that usually sound better.
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:02 am

The stock exhaust manifold/dp really helps muffle the raspy sound since it's such a thick and heavy material. If you have a thin walled manifold like obx or trd good luck getting rid of the rasp :lol:, especially with no cat. Even my old hks sport was really raspy with a trd manifold and no cat. Same with the oem cbe.

Edit: I forgot to mention that a hollowed out oem cat or a test pipe with a resonator will help a tad if you're catless. A basic test pipe like t3, for example, will give the exhaust a more hollow/tinny sound.
Last edited by Deuce Cam on Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:09 pm

Hooker aerochamber muffler gives a super deep tone. It's about as antirice as you can get IMO.
People never believe it's a little 1.6 4 banger making the sound mine does.

DerekGreeson
Club4AG Regular

Postby DerekGreeson » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:13 pm

thanks for the help guys. Anyone have a video of how theirs sound so I can get a reference of what I might like the most?

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:54 pm

This was when it was Largeport.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfVFZYz_i9g

Turbo Blacktop.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdH6MBVb_6o

This is a 3" can. The turbo and a cat makes the noise tolerable for a stripped down rat rod. I have installed 2.5" on my 2.5RS and my moms chevy pickup and they were much quieter but had the same deep tone. I haven't heard a 2.25 first hand but I suspect it would sound just as good and be a little quieter still. Don't get me wrong though. The 2.5s are quieter than the 3" on the MR2 but they are still a good bit louder than stock.